Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 12561 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »

It's startin' up in less than a month.  How much do you plan to watch, now that they've got pretty much 24 hour a day coverage on one of the NBC "family" of cable networks?

I'll probably try to catch some bonus curling and US hockey, and avoid the figure skating like the plague.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

I plan to watch figure skating, curling, ski jumping, and speed skating.
Well.......

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »

I plan on watching as much as possible...just as long as it isn't figure skating or ice dancing.  I hate that shit.

I love me some snow boarding though.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Winter Olympics
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »

I'll probably watch whenever I can.  I really enjoy watching the Olympics.  Figure skating can suck it, though.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Winter Olympics
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »

Quote from: "Buzzstein"
I love me some snow boarding though.

Oooh!  That's a must-see!

Also, I suddenly have an urge to tie you to a sled and push you down a giant, snow-covered hill.

But I'm just wacky like that.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 06:32:08 PM »

I'm definitely planning to watch as much as possible. Can't miss the bobsled and luge, speed skating, hockey, slalom skiing. I'll take figure skating events over the cross-country skiing anyday.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Winter Olympics
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 12:00:55 AM »

I'll be glued to my DVR for those weeks. I'll watch most everything - particularly the figure skating and sports involving going downhill (skiing, luge, bobsled, skeleton, etc.).
also known as rcc94

Mr Pink

• missing in action
  • City Elder
  • aggressively lazy
    • MySpace
Winter Olympics
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »

I'll mostly be watching the snowboarding and hockey, but I won't be watching any skating since Jamie Sale won't be competing this year.

Mmmm...Jamie Sale
[size=9]Forza Azzurri![/size]

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 07:19:25 PM »

Hockey, speed skating (especially short-track - that's just roller derby on ice), skiing, bobsled, hockey, luge, skeleton, hockey, curling, and did I mention hockey?

HD Hockey, no less, thanks to my friend (and fellow hockey nut) Jarrett.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 12:07:44 AM »

I enjoy the winter olympics, but probably won't watch much due to my schedule.  I usually enjoy the skiing and absolutely hate the figure skating.  

And MP:  she just got married, didja hear?  I also think that's a rather unflattering picture of her, but that's just an opinion.  She looks so...flabby.

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 11:12:29 AM »

I watched the opening ceremonies last night, and as usual, they were TOO LONG.  There were a few cool parts, though - like when all the people in the different colored jackets simulated a ski jumper with their bodies, and Peter Gabriel's performance of "Imagine."  But then there were some WTF? moments as well - Yoko Ono's presence, the "sparks of passion" guys in their weird plasticy red jumpsuits with the flames strapped on their backs - and actually, just the weird plasticy jumpsuit things that all the performers were wearing.  I was trying to stay awake on the couch, and I just kept getting more and more irritated.  Brian kept coming in and suggesting I go to bed, but I would crabbily respond, "I'm waiting for them to light the fucking torch!"

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Winter Olympics
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
"I'm waiting for them to light the fucking torch!"

But when they finally did, I thought it was really cool. Explosions good.

I did a running commentary on my LJ. I love the trivia they come up with for the parade of nations. It really appeals to the geography/statistical geek in me.
also known as rcc94

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 12:09:13 PM »

Right off the bat I'll admit needing to look further into the story before making any permanent judgments, but I'm grumpy this morning from this stupid South Beach "detox" phase and so I'm going to project my anger inappropriately onto Michelle Kwan. I just saw that she had cut her practice short by 15 minutes due to a g-g-g-groin injury (obscure Sam Malone "Cheers" reference) and that she said in a news conference that she may pull out of the Olympics. She said the long flight to Italy combined with having to do all the walking in the opening ceremonies exacerbated her injury. All of this after all the hoo-ha of petitioning to get on the team in the first place even though the injury prevented her from competing in the qualifying competition.

What respect I had for Kwan has taken a nose-dive. Does it really take a genius to anticipate that flying to Italy is going to require a few hours of sitting? And has she not participated in other Olympic opening ceremonies, which she should remember require one to WALK?

I say, step off, Michelle, and let Emily Hughes join the team. She earned it. But maybe it's the starvation talking. I'll see how I feel after this enchanting part-skim mozzarella cheese stick.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 12:37:58 PM »

No, I agree. This whole deal with her getting on the team despite not actually qualifying has put a bad taste in my mouth. You were a great figure skater, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to a lifetime spot on the Olympic team. There are now better skaters than you that deserve that spot more.

You've gotten older Michelle, it happens. If you want to continue to go to the Olympics, I suggest taking up curling.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
Winter Olympics
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 01:38:51 PM »

The Olympics?  Are those things still around?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up