Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 12558 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 02:45:11 PM »

Quote from: "Ella Minnow Pea"
I love the trivia they come up with for the parade of nations.

I watched between 6 and 8 minutes of this while it was on in the background as others were watching it, but I did hear them say that Switzerland and Great Britain are the only two nations to have participated in every olympic games, which I thought was cool.

Michelle Kwan: WTF?

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 03:27:27 PM »

Good. I'm glad she pulled out, and finally did the right thing. She never should have been there in the first place.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 05:40:41 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
Good. I'm glad she pulled out, and finally did the right thing. She never should have been there in the first place.

But does someone replace her?  Or does the US team now consist of only two skaters?  If someone replaces her than I respect her.  If she ruined the chance for the other skater, then how else can you look at that?

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 08:22:06 PM »

She'll be replaced by Emily Hughes, the younger sister of Salt Lake gold medalist Sarah Hughes. Emily actually qualified as the third U.S. women's skating team member, but was bumped when the officials granted Kwan's special petition to make the team even though she didn't compete in the qualifying event (like Emily Hughes and the other two skaters did).
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »

Thanks whigsgeek.  I knew that the other person was the younger sister of someone, but I couldn't remember all the names.  

It looks like Kwan did the right thing, so even though the whole thing is a little fishy, it sounds like it could work out in the end with minimal problems.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 10:29:12 PM »

And Ohno doesn't make the finals! Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Winter Olympics
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 11:51:16 PM »

Also fallen, the mens downhill skiers.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

SFG

• Citizen
Winter Olympics
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 12:16:41 AM »

Quote from: "trixi"
Also fallen, the mens downhill skiers.

And you know, as lame an excuse as "it's the new skis" was, i buy it.  Watching the second American's run (the one after bode miller), he looked like he was skiing that run perfectly, but kept losing time.

and that snowboarding stuff was pretty neat.

I just peeked in and out today while doing homework, which seems to be the way i'm going to have to watch the whole thing.
've got the radio on...

Doug

Winter Olympics
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 07:23:26 AM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
I was trying to stay awake on the couch, and I just kept getting more and more irritated.  Brian kept coming in and suggesting I go to bed, but I would crabbily respond, "I'm waiting for them to light the fucking torch!"

Hillarious.  We were doing the same thing.  The fireworks were awesome though.

Juliana

• City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »

I can't believe all the Michelle vitroil.  Anyone who puts off going pro (and the money that goes along with that) in pursuit of Olympic Gold gets my respect any day.  It's like Elvis Stojko.  

Michelle still is a great skater.  The coaches didn't have to take her, but she thought she'd be okay, the coaches thought she'd be okay, and so did all the team trainers and doctors.
I thought it was pretty heartbreaking to see her trying to skate Saturday, and to see her keep missing and falling.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 09:22:10 AM »

The DVR should be making light work of some of the curling events even as I type this.

Yay for curling!
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 09:37:35 AM »

I can't believe that last throw in the fifth end. What a bonehead move!
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:11 AM »

What's up with NBC's coverage?  It seems pretty sparse so far.  We had the TV on almost all day yesterday and had a hard time finding much in the way of coverage.  Saturday was even worse.  At 6pm each day you couldn't find squat except for Scott Hamilton and that She-Male talking about, but not showing, figure skating.  

Of the several Networks covering it seems like they're only showing events on one channel at any one time.  Surely there could be more.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:55 AM »

There are just way fewer events in the Winter Olympics than in the Summer.  USA Network was showing the biathlon this morning, and frankly it doesn't get much more boring than cross country skiing (until the last few hundred meters anyway).

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
I can't believe all the Michelle vitroil.  Anyone who puts off going pro (and the money that goes along with that) in pursuit of Olympic Gold gets my respect any day.

This is just my opinion, and I totally respect yours and your support of Michelle. But if an athlete (any athlete) is unable to compete in the qualifying competition to make the Olympic team, then they shouldn't be able to knock someone off the team who did compete.

I was a HUGE Michelle Kwan fan and will always respect the talent she has and has demonstrated. But, just as an example, Roger Federer is (as rva said) an amazing athlete and a proven champion. If he's injured and doesn't compete in the qualifying rounds at Wimbledon, however, he can't petition his way into competing in the finals. How is it fair that someone who worked their butt off to qualify gets bumped by someone who didn't compete, just because of who she is?

In my opinion, her petitioning gave her bad juju in the first place, and it caught up to her once she got there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up