Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 12559 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 11:32:32 AM »

Yeah, but you should be mad at those who did give her the go-ahead.  Everybody including Michelle herself, thought she'd be okay, and a medal contender.  I honestly don't think she would have petitioned if she thought she couldn't do it.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

rva

Winter Olympics
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »

I can't blame Kwan for wanting to give it a go-- especially since I think she really thought she'd be ready.  And she withdrew as soon as she realized it wasn't going to happen.  I kind of agree that you shouldn't be able to petition the committee, but that's not Kwan's fault.  

The olympics are stupid, and figure skating is an exceptionally stupid event in the first place, the USOC is stupid, all the various regional sports authorities are stupid.  Given that, I thought both Kwan and Hughes handled the situation very well.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 12:14:58 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
Yeah, but you should be mad at those who did give her the go-ahead.

I can't describe myself as "mad." I don't know Kwan or anyone in her
camp or the officials, and their actions don't directly impact my life one way or the other. I was simply expressing that, in my opinion, it was the wrong decision and I disagree with the choice made by Kwan and her "people" to petition and anyone else involved in granting it. Everyone has the ability to choose not to do something, no matter how many people think it "should" be done. Everybody has individual power -- Kwan didn't have to agree to petition. No one was holding a gun to her head.

She took the bronze in Salt Lake and the silver in Nagano, for heaven's sake -- that's more than most skaters could ever hope for. She has nothing to be ashamed of -- she'll always be remembered as one of the greatest American skaters. Be grateful for it and give the skater who earned her place on the team the chance to take home the gold. Shit happens in life. The rest of us have to deal with it. Why shouldn't she?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »

If I go the rest of my life without hearing the term "fakey to fakey", that would be just fine with me.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »

I really don't give a shit about any of this figure skating drama.

figure skating...Boooooooooo!
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »

For me it's the general principle, not the specific sport. I'd feel the same way if the same chain of events involved the Grand Pooba of curling. You don't qualify? Suck it up and stay home with the rest of us mere mortals.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »

Quote from: "rva"

The olympics are stupid, and figure skating is an exceptionally stupid event in the first place, the USOC is stupid, all the various regional sports authorities are stupid.  Given that, I thought both Kwan and Hughes handled the situation very well.

I just hope Ms. Hughes can get out of New York to make it toTorino.

And did NBC really need to have two hours devoted to Kwan's decision to back out? I don't think so. They also didn't have to keep reiterating the story over and over in front of every bit of coverage over the weekend.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 02:06:02 PM »

Quote from: "whigsgeek"
involved the Grand Pooba of curling.

Is there really a Grand Pooba?  God I hope so.  What a great title!

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »

Yep. Furry hat with horns and everything. ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

rva

Winter Olympics
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 07:28:22 PM »

Well, I guess I let my feelings show that I think figure skating is pretty damn stupid.  But my I also think it really depends on the athletes' understanding of their sport.  Depending on the sport, sometimes there's a lot of variation in how you might finish in any one competition.  

Therefore, it's up to USOC figure skating officials to decide what makes sense.  And they decided that only one spot from the US trials is guaranteed.  Everyone knew that going in.  The only one that earned a spot via the competition is Sasha Cohen.

Kwan got bumped for finishing second in 1992, and didn't complain about it.  I'm not saying she's owed anything, but I think in her mind that's how the selection process works.  The trials are a factor, but they aren't determinative.

She did fine in her work-out, and apparently this is a different injury than the one that kept her out of the trials.  So really up until Sunday she had good reason to believe she'd be okay and that she earned her slot.

SFG

• Citizen
Winter Olympics
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 08:44:38 PM »

Would someone please tell me why i'm watching figure skating?

Must.  Turn.  Channel.  (but so pretty)
've got the radio on...

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Winter Olympics
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2006, 08:53:39 PM »

I am a figure skating fan.  Not as much as I used to be, but still am.  In my formative years, I was a casual fan, but then the Russian figure skating team lived in Oxford and practiced at Goggin for a month or so in 1987 before the World Championships were held in Cincinnati.  I admit that I spent every waking moment at Goggin watching the practices.  I have loads of pictures from them practicing and was fortunate enough to meet the future Olympic Pairs skaters.  After the SLC Olympics the judging has been changed, so I think the scoring is much fairer than it was, but has necessitated those who have the grace for their programs to add some of the more difficult skills in order to get the points needed to win.  This may have been the downfall of Kwan, considering she's older than the others and was not raised doing some of these skills.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Winter Olympics
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006, 08:54:49 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
The only one that earned a spot via the competition is Sasha Cohen.

Gee, I wonder if she'll wear the winning outfit designed for her on "Project Runway."

Juliana

• City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2006, 08:31:57 AM »

I sincerely hope not.  That's horrible.
The light blue, dark blue, and the black one shoulder aren't horrible, but jeez, that white one is.
-Ed Helms

Juliana

• City Elder
Winter Olympics
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2006, 08:40:40 AM »

Yesterday was some great coverage.
Joey Cheek taking the gold in the men's 500m speed skating was great.

USA's near sweep of the women's snowboard half pipe was pretty nice too.  That Kelly Clark girl was fantastic.  Too bad she fell on that last trick.

I freaking bawled at Zhang & Zhang's performance in pairs last night.  I can't believe she still skated, especially that she skated so well after that fall.  I know some of you hate the figure skating, but I really dig it. I know people are going to bitch about how she fell and they still won silver, but if you watched them, they deserved it.  I was also glad to see Shen & Zhao win a medal also.
-Ed Helms
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up