Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Reds '06  (Read 15468 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« on: January 23, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »

Castellini announced today that GM Dan O'Brien is out, saying he wants "his choice" in there....

rumor also has it that Sweet Lou is being kept on retainer so he'll come back as manager in 2007.

What say you, Reds fans?  Positive moves, or distractionary (sure, that's a word) garbage meant to tease the fans into thinking the club is moving forward?

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 03:37:38 PM »

Both?  

I'm sure he actually believes the problems were with the GM and that this is a positive move forward.  And truthfully, Dan-O wasn't that good.  But is Castellini qualified to find someone better? Lou Pinella is a terrible fit for the Reds.

The will to improve (so long as it doesn't involve too much money) is there.  The guts, personnel intelligence, and financial savvy may not be.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Reds '06
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:51:19 PM »

C'mon.  You guys acquired Rich Aurilia.  He's at least gotta be the second coming of Juan Castro.  And you dumped one of the league's best 1st Basemen for a 26 year old fringe prospect.  There's hope yet!
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Butter

• City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:54:03 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
And truthfully, Dan-O wasn't that good.  But is Castellini qualified to find someone better? Lou Pinella is a terrible fit for the Reds.

I think it would take more work to find somebody worse than it would to find someone better.  And as I understand it, Piniella is not a candidate for GM, but would be a managerial possibility down the road.  Piniella as a GM would probably not be a good idea.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Reds '06
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:04:03 PM »

Who's catching for the Reds this year?  Why don't they make a run at Bengie Molina?

thepsychicpoirot

Reds '06
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »

Isn't Kitna a free agent now?

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 04:14:46 PM »

I meant I think Pinella is a bad prospect for manager.  

Pinella stayed longer than I thought with the D-Rays, but in the end he demanded money be spent so the team could win and when it didn't happen he left.  The D-Rays record was lousy under him (not his fault), and we'll see in the future if those kids developed under him.  A mixed bag at best.

It strikes me that the Reds are in much the same position as the D-Rays:  not exactly opening the pocketbooks, rebuilding, etc.  Only without the young talent.

But I don't see that he could do much damage to the team, either.  They would probably just stink it up like as expected and then Pinella will leave or get fired.  I'd much rather have him than Dusty Baker.

Butter

• City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 04:24:52 PM »

Lord, anyone but Dusty.  And hey, the Reds have young talent.  There's... that one guy in AA.  He was pretty good last year!  And all those undrafted rookies that the Reds will be taking in 2006... I hear they're all pretty highly rated.  C'mon, give the Reds farm system a little credit!

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Reds '06
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »

It's time to move Dunn and/or Kearns and/or Pena for:

a) an established pitcher
and

b) a top minor league pitching prospect or two

Come to think of it, throw in Milton with one of the OFs and offer to pay half the contract for the next two years.

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »

The Reds do have some interesting names in their system.  

A pitcher named "Bong," a pitcher named "Homer" and the most hockey-player soundingest name in all of sports "Grant Balfour."

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Reds '06
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »

Balfour's pitching style is a lot like his name.  Plus, he's sort of a headcase.  Two years ago, a week before the start of the regular season, he goes into the manager's office and says he can't pitch.  He had been hiding an injury from the Twins through all of Spring Training and didn't tell anyone because he wanted to make the club and felt being injured would have put him back in AAA.  He also has a reputation for not being 100% dedicated to the game.  But that's a lesson the Reds have to learn, I guess.

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »

Yeah, but he had some serious potential before he got hurt (and hurt, and hurt).

He's not a bad guy to take a chance on, but it's kinda dumb to waste a spot on the 40 man roster for him considering he's coming off Tommy John elbow, rotator cuff AND torn labrum surgery.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Reds '06
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »

He does have a good arm, but do you want the stuff that comes along with it?  The eternal question...

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 05:33:20 PM »

Considering how low the odds are that he even still has a good arm, I'd say "no."  

Put him out there and have him throw left handed.  Can't be any worse than Milton.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Reds '06
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 05:45:35 PM »

*SNAP*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up