Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Reds '06  (Read 15662 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 10:23:34 AM »

Perhaps the Reds are the new Bengals?  I'm glad they've got a new owner, but I was also glad when Lindner came in.  I just never realized how stingy he would be, and I'm hoping Castellinininini won't be as stingy.  

Look at it this way: at least you know you can always get a ticket.  That's what made me a Reds fan in the first place.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 11:33:18 AM »

I'm willing to give the new owner a chance, if for no other reason than his first big act was to can Dan O'Brien. I thought it was a mistake to give him that job in the first place.

His choice for a replacement will tell me whether or not that faith was well placed. There are certain GMs that a small-market team hires if they want to go ahead a give it a shot at being competitive. And then there are GMs that a team hires if they just want to tread water. O'Brien was an old-school, treading water type of GM. No fresh ideas there.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

The whole idea that the new owner wanted to get something done now is great.  Except that it makes me worry about maybe diving head-first into something that's not the safest.  Who knows...

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 02:44:45 PM »

How so? Do you mean spending lots of money imprudently?

I just want the Reds to do something... Because since the Griffey trade, they've really done nothing.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 02:48:52 PM »

Yeah, imprudently.  But you can't argue with the idea that something is better than nothing.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 03:09:36 PM »

Since baseball doesn't have a salary cap, I'm not even terribly worried about imprudence. Frankly, I think even a fat contract to an overpaid veteran with a history of performance is better than what we've got now. As long as Castellini is willing to keep signing the checks.

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 03:10:39 PM »

I remember when Dan Snyder took over the Redskins and everyone was psyched.  Young, passionate owner who would be active about improving the team....

Yeah.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »

At least they made the playoffs.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 03:12:04 PM »

Castellini's not young.  He looks to be approximately 79 from the interviews I've seen.

Butter

• City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 08:51:21 AM »

Nice fucking defense, Dunn.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 10:36:23 AM »

They don't have Dunn on the roster for his defense.  Come on now - you know that.

They keep him around so he can strikeout a lot.  Duh.

Butter

• City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 10:38:44 AM »

He looked like fucking John Kruk playing Left Field.  He seriously needs to think about whether he's dedicated to playing a complete game.  I mean, he did hit a home run and everything, but he gave back more runs than that with his straight error, and 3 other misplays.

After that display, I say trade his ass for some pitching and play Denorfia.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Reds '06
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 10:48:47 AM »

Opulence. I has it.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Reds '06
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 11:10:03 AM »

My hero!

rva

Reds '06
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 01:35:18 AM »

Man, when Adam Dunn hits the ball-- he REALLY hits the ball.  479 feet on a line drive, are you kidding me?  I like the guy. He looks like he's having fun out there. He walks enough to offset the K's, and one of these days he'll hit 50 or maybe 60.

He's a pretty terrible outfielder, but then so is Manny Ramirez.  Moreover, he's perfectly adequate at first base so it's really the Reds' fault for playing him out of position.

Don't give up hope, Reds fans.  I just got through crushing some stats and the verdict is:  Ryan Wagner is good.  Very good.  In fact, he's a sliver away from being a lights-out closer if he can just get a little more consistency and control.  Essentially, he's had terrible luck.  That and his tendency to  walk a few guys, plus the Reds' lousy fielding means that a seeing eye single burns him for three runs when he should be out of the inning.  Of course the Reds sent him to AAA which was about the stupidest thing they could have done considering that even now he's the best pitcher in their entire bullpen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up