Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: KoL: Your questions answered  (Read 54940 times)

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
KoL: Your questions answered
« on: February 17, 2006, 08:31:44 AM »

Never fear... Poncho is here.  Ask away.  Nothing is too simple and if it's too complex... I'll just make something up.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »

What skills in which order are the best to take in HC ascensions?
Well.......

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »

Well... that's pretty complex, but if you think about it from the perspective of getting more turns...

I would take Saucemastery and Pastamancery very early.

The ability to make reagent potions (Saucemastery) will let you attack stronger monsters faster.
Adding Pastamancery will let you fight monsters AND make chow meins.  The main chow meins (bat wing, rat appendix and knob sausage) give you 20-30 turns each.
You've now got about 50+ extra turns each day over someone without those skills.

I think 50+ turns is a HUGE deal.  

So, my (and it's just MY OPINION) first 10 choices would be:

01. Saucemastery (SA)
02. Pastamancery (PM)
03. Amphibian Sympathy (TT)
04. Moxious Madrigal (AT)
05. Empathy of the Newt (TT)
06. Leash of Linguini (PM)
07. Powerballad of Arrowsmith (AT)
08. Lunging Thrust Smack (SC)
09. Impetious Sauciness (SA)
10. Advanced Cocktailcrafting (DB)

I think Moxious Madigral is a great skill to keep.  You can survive a lot of places with that extra kick.

Lunging Thrust Smack makes all the difference in the world.  The earlier (day-wise) you can get into the castle... the earlier you ascend.  I've fought in the castle with really crappy stats by LTS and heal, LTS and heal, LTS and heal, LTS and heal.  It lets you fight much higher than you probably should.

I think I'd run for the Trinity of Familiar boosters to help cut 90 or more turns off your NS fight.  If you have Sympathy, Empathy and Leash... you've cut MASSIVE time off leveling up your familiars for the NS.  Combined with a Tome for green snowcones... you are set (Green snowcone + Sympathy + Empathy + Leash = any fam you choose is instantly 21lbs without even getting the familiar item for it... that way the only fam you have to train is the ATTACK FAM you use on the final battle... you don't have to worry about the ones for getting into the lair.. which CAN add 90 or more turns to your run)

Power ballad is a VERY cheap way to hit harder and stay alive longer.  You'll thank yourself.

Impetious is just awesome... potions that used to last 5 turns will now last 10 turns.  You need half as many.  It's much cheaper and much better.

Disco Bandit drinks will give you about 30+ turns a day over the brewery or cheap dropped drinks.  This isn't key in the beginnig (Mostly because of how hard it is to ascend a DB without a lot of skills) but it should be in your Top Ten.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:51:14 AM »

Quote from: "clemsonfan"
What skills in which order are the best to take in HC ascensions?

When you beat the Naughy Sorceress, you ascend, right?

What's the difference between hardcore and softcore?

Do I lose my familiars when I ascend?  I suspect this, but don't know why.

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:41:52 PM »

Which does better for stats (specifically at the valley), +5 monster level or +5lb of volleyball?

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dan"

When you beat the Naughy Sorceress, you ascend, right?

What's the difference between hardcore and softcore?

It's not really "when" you beat her it's after you beat her, free the king, and go into the portal.

The short version of hardcore vs. softcore is that in a hardcore run, you can't buy stuff from other gamers (mall or flea market), or recieve gifts or buffs from them.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"

The short version of hardcore vs. softcore is that in a hardcore run, you can't buy stuff from other gamers (mall or flea market), or recieve gifts or buffs from them.

...or get access to any of your stuff.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 02:40:29 PM »

Jeff... I'd go with the 5lbs of volleyball... but in the valley it's really too close to call.  

When you get to the castle or the hole in the sky... a sombrero with +5 monster is WAY BETTER

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »

Dan... Juliana is right.

Ascending is optional after beating her.  It's like jumping down the rabbit hole.  You beat her, a King appears... you can touch him and free him.  THEN you can read all about ascension in a FAQ.  You get nekkid, pick the fam you want to take with you and jump in the hole to start fresh.

Hardcore you start at ground zero... you can't interact with others (except in chat) and you can't buy items (except the marketplace and in game places... the mall, flea market and trades are OUT).  You can't use Mr. A's or Mr. Store equipment (Tam o' Shanter, Maypole, etc).

Softcore you are like that for the first 600 turns (except you get 20 "pulls" a day... 20 items or 20,000 meat a day from your stash).  After 600 turns you get all your meat back... all your items back and can trade/mall/flea market your heart out just like before.  Softcore is much, much easier.  Your pulls can include anything you have... if you are tough enough to wear it... you can.

Code: [Select]
My typical softcore "pulls":

(3) Mr. A
(3) Chow meins of whatever type I need
(1) Wax Lips
(1) Black Lotus... this is a Gift Shop item that costs 100k meat... however it has an autosell of 50k... I lose 50k meat every single time I use one... but then my softcore guy has 50k in meat to use on his first day... if speed isn't an issue, NEVER do this step.  On my slow runs, I skip it myself.
(4) TPS drinks... but of course you have to have 4 tiny plastic swords

I usually wind up pull whichever Ore the trapper asks me for as well.  I farm the 6 goat cheese.

You DO NOT lose your familiars.  You do lose all of them EXCEPT ONE's weight.  If you have 20 fams with 20lbs of weight on them... you have to pick one and take it.  It stays at 20lbs and all the rest go back to 1lb.  They do not go away.... they just get skinny.

Code: [Select]
I'd take a volleyball or sombrero ANY DAY over most any other familiar... unless you have a Chesire Bat or Cymbal Monkey.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 03:24:31 PM »

Quote from: "Poncho the Sane"
Jeff... I'd go with the 5lbs of volleyball... but in the valley it's really too close to call.  

When you get to the castle or the hole in the sky... a sombrero with +5 monster is WAY BETTER

What does this all mean?  I have a volleyball.  I know that part.  What's the rest?  What's a +5 monster?  I'll look into getting a sombrero next time I play...

Thanks for the help, Poncho.  It makes more sense.  Mostly.  I just need to play more.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »

Dan, what's your screen name?  I can try and farm for a sombrero for you.  NOra Charles is just biding her time building her familiars up to get the heavy load trophy.  send her a kmail and she'll work on your sombrero
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 03:53:50 PM »

The sombrero's a bitch just 'cause of the poultry drops.

Anywho, I just went with the +5 monster weight, and that got me to level 10 (and I managed to grab all 4 imm.'s and the s.o.c.k in under 30 advs to get me into the castle in 5 days or less for the first time!) and a bit beyond.  I switched over to my sombrero with maracas, leash and sympathy, so that'll do me some good.

Here's a fun question...should I ascend with the sombrero and switch to the volleyball and level it or ascend with the volleyball and switch to the sombrero for use and leveling once I get past the chasm?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
Dan, what's your screen name?  I can try and farm for a sombrero for you.  Nora Charles is just biding her time building her familiars up to get the heavy load trophy.  send her a kmail and she'll work on your sombrero

I'm mistergugi in KOL.  Shocking, I know.  

Thanks for farming for me.  I don't even know what's required of it, but it sounds spiffy.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 12:49:32 PM »

What items/skills can you take into Hardcore runs? Are they available for both regular Hardcore and HCO runs/
also known as rcc94

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 02:28:24 PM »

Quote from: "Ella Minnow Pea"
What items/skills can you take into Hardcore runs? Are they available for both regular Hardcore and HCO runs/

First of all, oxy has no influence on what skills you can take over.  Oxy is only limiting food/booze intake.

Your first hardcore, you're completely on your own.  No skills other than Snowcone Summoning if you have it since it was an HC Permanent skill from the get-go.  The only skills you have access to are the ones available to whatever class you are.

Further hardcore runs, you get access to any Hardcore Permanent skills, meaning whatever skills you took permanent on your previous Hardcore runs.

Now, you don't take any items into Hardcore, HOWEVER, you sort of do.  If you just finished an HC run and are going into another one, when you go to the toot oriole, you can get special items, depending on what class you were.  For example, I just finished a Hardcore, No Path Seal Clubber run.  And I got the Stainless Steel Shillelegh (or however the hell you spell it) out of it.  All HC runs except oxy yield Stainless Steel items.  Oxy runs yield Plexiglass items. They are very awesome, but non-tradeable and non-sellable.

Also, you get that Pork Elf Goodie bag that will be full of gems.  If you are not a myst sign- auto sell them.  If you are a myst sign, you can make some very useful jewelry out of them- my favorite two being the hamethyst necklace (which gives +3 PvP fights a day, yay) and the baconstone bracelet (which  gives -1 MP per skill use).  Shinies are your friends!
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up