Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: KoL: Your questions answered  (Read 54120 times)

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
KoL: Your questions answered
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 07:42:38 PM »

What about for those of us stuck way back in the beginning, and who only play once every couple of weeks?  Where do I find what I need to venture into the bat cave?  Is there something I should be doing other than going on adventures to eventually gain moxie/magicality/muscle points?

(Like I need something else to use for procrastination), but so far, I find KOL just minorly amusing, but not at all absorbing.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 07:57:59 PM »

Yeah, food and booze will up your stat points.  Fighting major battles will give you significant stat increase as well.

For the bat cave, you need stench resistance (pine fresh air freshener acquired in the entrance or you could just wear an asshat) to get into the Guano Junction, then 3 sonars-in-a-biscuit from adventuring there, which you would use from your inventory page to open up the remaining chambers, so you can get to the boss to kill him.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »

rbs - someone could send you the familiar that increases stats so as to help you defeat the bat quicker.  In fact, I think I can do it.  What's your character's name?  I'll send it to you as soon as I sober up.

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 01:49:09 AM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
I find KOL just minorly amusing, but not at all absorbing.

I'm seriously flabberghasted

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 07:47:40 AM »

Wow... I go away for the weekend and there are many questions.  Thanks to Lauren for covering some.  

LMNOP... what she says is true.  That's even about as wordy as I would have been.

Dan... 5lbs of volleyball means something that add 5lbs of weight to your familiar.  I'm sure you've seen that your familiars grow from 1lb to 20lbs all by themselves when you use them.  (Sidebar: I've posted the cheatsheet for how many turns it takes to get them to each weight at the end of this post).  They stop growing at 20lbs.  HOWEVER, you can add items to help them grow.  For the volleyball specifically... you add a "Palm Frond Toupee" and it adds 5lbs.  You can add 3 Tiny Plastic items (most any three will do... as 90% of them add 1lb) as accessories.  You can get the 3 skills I listed above (empathy, sympathy and leash of linguini) which each add 5lbs each (sympathy is permanent! the others are for a set number of turns).  If you bought a Tome for snowcones... or buy them in the mall... you can add green snowcones for 5lbs more.

That means that if you had all of them your volleyball would be 48lbs (20 + 5 + 3 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5).  What does that mean?  Well it means that means that every monster you beat is giving you a BUTTLOAD more stats than if you fought them without a familiar at all.  The same principle works with any familiar (Leprechans help meat drops, others fight for you, etc) because added weight gives them more strength.

What does + monster mean?  Well it's the same basic principle... except in the other direction.  You add + to monster levels by wearing different equipment.  It makes the monsters harder to fight... thus increasing the reward in stats.  The Canadian Mind Control device does this... as do things like Rings of Aggravate Monster.  The point is that if you can only go so far (let's say you're too weak to beat the Yeti's on the mountain BUT you're too tough to keep fighting the Ninja Snowmen) then you can boost the weaker monsters so if you have to waste your time fighthing them... they at least are tougher and give you more stats.  This will often happen in Hardcore... you are too tough for one area, but another either hasn't opened up yet or is too tough for you.  You have to figure out a way to keep fighting for profit.  This is the way.

You can combine both things too... you can boost your familiar with the above techniques minus the 3 tiny plastic items... so you've boosted your volleyball to 45lbs (tp's are 1 each... so you lost those 3lbs) AND you add 3 rings of aggravate monsters and switch the Canadian Mind Control Device up to 11.

I don't have the exact stats (which would depend on the monster anyway) but for the sake of conversation... just assume a monster is giving you 20 stat points for killing it.  It's now (with both items combined) a heck of a lot harder to kill... but it's giving you like 40 stat points each time you do.  This means you fight half as many for the same stats.  Again... just a fake example with fake numbers.

Jeff... I'd stick with the volleyball if it's got a lot of kills on it.  The sombrero loses to the vb.. UNTIL you reach the castle.  90% of your game is pre-castle.  I'm sure you've read the "Way of the Sombrero" thread on our site.  It lists the pros/cons.  I'm sticking with the volleyball myself on all my chars but Poncho (who sticks with the bitten).  If that tells you anything? I'm practicing what I preach.

RBS... eat/drink the best your can.  Fighting monsters will help, but you really needs some familiars.  In game, my name is Poncho the Sane... so send me a kmail and I can send you whatever you need.  I can probably tell from a quick check of your char some things that might help.

Fam lbs/Kills req'd

1/0
2/4
3/9
4/16
5/25
6/36
7/49
8/64
9/81
10/100
11/121
12/144
13/169
14/196
15/225
16/256
17/289
18/324
19/361
20/400
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »

do 31337 scrolls go into your storage after you ascend?
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 10:07:41 AM »

You know... I don't know FOR SURE... but I'm 90% they disappear.

You know that if you use them after you've used one you'll get a bunch of worthless trinkets (for trading).
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 10:35:06 AM »

Yeah, I think they disappear but I think they can be untinkered (like the meatcar).  Or you can stick them in your mall store.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 10:58:10 AM »

Yes, I know that they don't give you stats and *ahem* backdoor access, but I figured that I'd get 3-5 worthless trinkets for trade out of 1 item.  I was asking for my softcore run character, so it seemed like it would be a good deal. Stupid quest items not going through.  Ditto that for the unused gourd potions I still have too.
-Ed Helms

IPrayForTang

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »

Question of the Day: KoL edition - Will Bashy do it?

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff"
Question of the Day: KoL edition - Will Bashy do it?

Sars am thinking... Bashy am going to try his best, and he am going to work with all the tools at him's disposal, including information garnered from being in /dev.

In conclusion, it would be much more impressive for someone NOT in development to accomplish this.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

IPrayForTang

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »

Bleh...it's still kinda cool.

I hate reading anything he writes unless I'm in a terribly whimsical mood (read: rarely).

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 06:38:24 PM »

Yeah and right now it's down to him and Almighty Tallest to do this.  Wilder and the others are all adventured out or know it's out of their bounds.  I'd have liked to seen Wilder make it, too... but he got stuck in the airship for over 70 turns.  >.<

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 06:45:31 PM »

What are you talking about?
-Ed Helms

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 07:49:30 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
What are you talking about?

This: http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/viewtopic.php?t=53672&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Scroll down a bit for bashy's post.

Basically, the conditions are prime for a one-day ascension. Softcore, of course.  And Bashy and some others are trying for it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up