Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: KoL: Your questions answered  (Read 54115 times)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
KoL: Your questions answered
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:55 PM »

Okay, sooooo, Bashy am loser.  Listening to /hardcore while the thing was going down was torture.  I regret it completely.

He got REALLY close.  Made it all the way to the NS, one turn left, got killed halfway through her second form.

Almighty Tallest got pretty close, too.  Made it to the tower, but got effed in the A by the NG.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »

Thanks for the update. I read "some" of that gigantic and messy thread, and got frustrated.  I was going to ask how it went, but you beat me to it.  So the 1 day ascension will likely never happen, eh?  That's cool...at least someone got close.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 04:08:01 PM »

I don't fault the man for trying... but like Sars... it's not very impressive for me.

Wilder... LOVE the guy... wish he would've done it.

Bashy accomplishing that is (to me) sort of like someone in Bill Gate's think-tank winning a worldwide Windows-based programming contest.  

Wow.that.would.be.hard.right?

Sure the person would have to be smart.  Sure they'd have to be dedicated.  Sure they'd have to be good.  HOWEVER... didn't they have about 1000x as many tools at hand?  Sure there are hackers and geniuses out there that know a lot too... but isn't the bottom line that the inside track is always the inside track?
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 04:41:41 PM »

1 day ascension? Bloody hell. Some of those people really take the thing totally and utterly fucking seriously! They must know the workings of KoL inside out.  

Personally, I spend too much time hovering wreckelessly close to the Orc Chasm to be remotely in with a chance of speed ascending.

Ok, I'll get my coat...
Am Meer

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 09:54:02 PM »

Quote from: "Poncho the Sane"
Bashy accomplishing that is (to me) sort of like someone in Bill Gate's think-tank winning a worldwide Windows-based programming contest.

So, uh, you're implying that Bashy is a programmer who works on the site?  Sorry, but I don't know Wilder, Bashy, or for that matter, ANYONE other than Jick.  And you guys.  

I didn't know that him doing it was unimpressive.  Either way, it didn't happen, right?

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 10:43:51 AM »

No, it didn't happen.

Bashy doesn't work for Jick, but he is on the /dev team (basically beta-testers and folks who watch out for bugs/problems).  There are several of them.

Rafe... it's insane and you have to have ALL your ducks in a row.  The absolute closest I've come... trying my absolute hardest and giving it everything I have... is 2 days 380 turns.

That is normal, softcore ascension... no path.  That's nearly 80 turns off the leaderboard...so that's pretty much unimpressive.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »

Well yeah, but you didn't have hockey sticks, did you, Poncho?  But that's an entirely different can of worms that I shouldn't even think about opening.

In other words, shit, dude, that's impressive to me.  But then look at my best ascending time.  A 36 day HCO run on Sars.  And I think an 18 day softcore on Fernie.  But I tend to not adventure Fernie every day due to time constraints.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »

Not to open a can of worms that no one likes (I'm guessing?), but what's the deal with hockey sticks?  They aren't even listed in the spoiler page that I use...

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 05:41:42 PM »

Another question.  I have 2 Bowls of Fruit and 2 Fruit Baskets.  What are these for, other than to make me fruity?

Admittedly, I haven't eaten them.  Maybe I should?

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 05:45:36 PM »

Quote from: "Dan"
Not to open a can of worms that no one likes (I'm guessing?), but what's the deal with hockey sticks?  They aren't even listed in the spoiler page that I use...

Hockey Sticks of Furious Rage or something like that.  They're an ultra-rare item.  I forget what they do as I've never had one in my possession and never really taken note of it.

As for the fruit bowl/basket, you use them and they yield random fruit.

The bowl you get from adventuring with a clover in the hippie area.  The basket comes from adventuring with a clover in the hippie area with the hippie outfit on.

Kind of the same as the Frat boys and the handful of drink tickets versus the roll.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2006, 06:40:21 PM »

Only it's all fruit you can buy at the hippie store, right?
I think I got an olive in my basket, which might not be at the store, but even so, they're relatively plentiful over at the palindrome.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »

Quote from: "Sarcastica"

Hockey Sticks of Furious Rage or something like that.  They're an ultra-rare item.  I forget what they do as I've never had one in my possession and never really taken note of it.

I've never had one, either (though I do have a spooky hockey mask), but I checked it out on ye olde Wiki during the O-DAMN hullaballoo.  Plus freakin' 30 to monster level, so with three of them, that's +90, so you're going to be getting enormous stats (esp. with a hot-rodded sombrero).  Pretty rare, though--cheapest one in the mall is 487 million meat.  Some of the Ice equipment they were using also gave a boost to monster level.  

Anyway, I was sort of ho-hum on the whole thing.  Notwithstanding Bashy's supposed insider knowledge, they were using three ultra rares apiece (any one of which is de facto unobtainable by even the most dedicated player), plus they spent $30 apiece (Bashy spent $40, buying a Mr. A late in his run to avoid pulling one).  The whole thing smacked of elitist "Hey, look at me-ism."  And all they managed to prove is that someone with literally unlimited resources inside the game, and 30-40 dollars to blow outside of it, has a very, very slim chance at a a one-day ascension, theoretically.  Meh. Even if they'd pulled it off, it would have been only slightly more impressive than, if, say, Jick had done it.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2006, 09:42:45 PM »

I finally pulled off a 5-day run!  Wooo me!

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »

What can you do with:

rat whiskers
salamander spleen
squashed frogs
Well.......

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
Only it's all fruit you can buy at the hippie store, right?
I think I got an olive in my basket, which might not be at the store, but even so, they're relatively plentiful over at the palindrome.

I think you can also get papayas from the baskets/bowls.  That's a huge deal because otherwise you can only get those from 668 scrolls (risky) and the Palindrome which as you know is a pain to get to if the pirates are being stingy with the snakehead charms.

Check this out, l.diddy. Someone asked Jick on his radio show last night how many Hockey Sticks are actually in the kingdom.  THIRTY-THREE.  Wow, eh?  Looks like NO pretty much owns them all.  N00bs find 'em, sell 'em so they can get some meat, and the only folks who can really afford to buy them are swimming in bugmeat like Scrooge McDuck.  Also, well put rant about the whole 1-day ascension thing.  That's pretty much the non-Bashy-fanboy assessment.

Congrats on the 5-day, Jeff!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up