Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Video of the day  (Read 83786 times)

Hell Toupee

Video of the day
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 07:56:15 AM »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Video of the day
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 08:38:20 AM »

Athena Senior Inspires
by Jim Aroune
courtesy: Greece Central School Dist.
Published Feb 17, 2006
They may never stop talking about what they witnessed Wednesday at Greece Athena's final home boys varsity basketball game of the season.

And that would be a good thing.

Some in attendance at Athena's game against Spencerport will say it played out like a Hollywood script; like "Rudy," or "Radio;" stories about a long-shot and a waterboy who inspired their teams by not letting their shortcomings stop them from giving their all.

In what Jason McElwain did during the waning moments of the "Senior Night" at Athena, there may be much more.

Jason is the trainer for the Athena varsity team. So dedicated is Jason, he has not missed a game or practice in the three years he's served the team.

Wednesday for "Senior Night," Athena coach Jim Johnson had Jason suit up for the game. He sat excitedly on the bench in his school colors, number 52; an acknowledgement of Jason's commitment to the program.

Athena moved to a comfortable 20-point lead against Spencerport. With the home crowd calling and classmates waving signs of support, Johnson called down the bench to number 52. Jason, headband and all, headed out onto the court.

"I just wanted to score a basket," McElwain said.

"I"m just sitting there saying `Let him score just one point,'" his mom, Deb said.

With the help of his teammates, Jason stared down a shot from the corner. The entire Athena bench, and every person in the gym rose.

Jason missed.. by six feet.

Moments later, Jason grabbed another pass and let it rain. The shot, from beyond the three-point arc, swished straight through. In unison, those in the gym screamed.

In the game's final four minutes, Jason shot five more times from behind the three-point arc. He made them all. Each time, teammates on the bench would hold their heads and scream, fans would stomp, tears would flow.

Jason scored 20 points. He set an Athena record with a half-dozen three-pointers. His teammates and friends stormed the court. They raised him on their shoulders... wide-eyed and in awe of what they had seen. They asked Jason for his autograph.

" I was focused on the game. You gotta be focused on the game. Not anything else," Jason said.

What made Jason being "in the zone" Wednesday not just another shooting streak is that he is autistic.

What his example will do for others with autism is a story yet to be told. Justin's mother believes it will mean great things for her son.

"Once the severe autistic child can break through, they can live in this world. Just like anyone else," Deb McElwain said.

As for Justin, whose teammates gave him the nickname "J-Mac" (as in Syracuse University guard Gerry "G-Mac" McNamara), his senior moment may continue to move his teammates in their pursuit of a post-season title. Coach Johnson hopes so.

"It was truly the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life."

Greece Central School District

Video (click on video on right bar to watch)

Amazing shots he hit.

Doug

Video of the day
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »

There's a hillarious video on http://www.stereogum.com today.  Check it out, it's the little quicktime video about one entry in, about some asshole clerks in an indy record store,

noonan

Video of the day
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »

Here's the Jason McElwain video(s) on YouTube, for those of us who can't stream at work. Talk about making a memory...

http://youtube.com/results?search=Jason+McElwain&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Video of the day
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 09:24:18 PM »

Jason McElwain = wow.

Docta

• Tourist
    • http://www.thestockmans.net
Video of the day
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 08:46:10 AM »

i'm not one to get emotional but i teared up watching that, damn

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Video of the day
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »

thepsychicpoirot

Video of the day
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »

Work has now blocked YouTube.  Teh suck.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Video of the day
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 11:48:26 AM »

Opulence. I has it.

thepsychicpoirot

Video of the day
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 03:05:06 PM »

When the Godfather calls you up, you go.

KISS on the Tomorrow show with Tom Snyder.  Ace Frehley appears high as a kite while Gene Simmons looks seriously annoyed. Part 1, Part 2.

"We're just 4 happy go lucky Guys who like to wear make-up" - Gene Simmons

monkey neck

• Strange, but not a stranger
  • City Elder
Video of the day
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 01:05:16 PM »

Quote from: "Dan"
Jason McElwain = wow.

That was fantastic.  Thanks for posting that, Butter.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Video of the day
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 11:18:10 PM »

SNL was actually funny.

http://www.nbc.com/Video/videos/snl_1432_narnia.shtml

Some good shizzle, safe for work, and they even mention the theater that I normally go to.

rva

Video of the day
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 01:00:27 AM »

After being exposed to the Jason McElwain video about a hundred times, I don't know what to think.

The last thing I want to do is be critical, because any high school kid that gets a chance and drops a bucketload of threes is a great story.  And of course I'm aware that his autism is an added burden (though he appears high functioning).  I was moved by it, like everyone else.

But clearly, he's put a lot of practice in.  The kid has a nice stroke, and those were rainbows.  Good for him, his hard work paid off but I mean, why wouldn't he score?  You have good form, shots will fall.  There was no doubt from the time the ball left his hand on any of those.

I guess it's kinda like it's become a story for austistic kids overcoming adversity, and I don't deny that's a part of it.  But autism is a weird disease and some kids are just never going to be able to play basketball.  To me, it's more like if you practice hard on your game and develop a nice touch then nothing else matters; autism or awkwardness it's simple physics.  And that's a lesson every kid can feel good about.  Somehow it feels cheapened and then I feel bad about feeling that way.

I feel nothing but good for the kid, though.

noonan

Video of the day
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 01:16:03 AM »

After being exposed to Lazy Sunday about 3.4317x10^6 times over the past several months I've decided it's really not that funny (jk.)

As for J-Mac, rva, I don't think you're alone in having mixed feelings. Personally I think it makes a case for at least giving kids a chance, regardless of real or perceived disabilities. This kid was clearly dedicated to the team and had some refined, if not complete, skills. The coach could have found minutes for him on many occasions had he taken a moment to try and see past the "disability."

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Video of the day
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »

V dub drop it like its hot

Have no idea if this has been posted yet but good god it's hysterical.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57   Go Up