Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 42250 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #465 on: July 20, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »

I remember their work in the mid-aughts as being....middling? Like, the kind of music that's good enough to be listened to a few times, but then you move on and don't think much about it?

So that's how I would classify them. Have they improved lately?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #466 on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:42 PM »

Added it to the Spotify playlist so I can make sure I hear it. Thanks for the rec.
Dan, have you listened to it yet? Just curious...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #467 on: July 20, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

I listened to the latest Depeche Mode album, "Spirit" (finally arrived from my local library).

What a freaking snooze fest! Not a single track that "grabbed" me. Wow, how has DM fallen so low... Used to be one of my favorite bands. They haven't released an album since the 2001 "exciter" album that is any good, really.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #468 on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:42 PM »

on a total whim, I recently bought the Kayak box set "Journey Through Time: The Complete Studio Recordings", a 21 CD box set for just $95 on Amazon.

I guess most here may not be familiar with this Dutch band. They released 3 fantastic albums in the early/mid 70s which I loved (think smart prog/pop rock), and they disbanded in the early 80s (end of era 1), only to resurface in the early 00s (and still going strong, apparently). I wasn't too familiar, ok not all all, with the latter day output. I've wanted their 70s/early 80s albums and for this price, I just couldn't resist. Been listening to it a LOT (but not to to their latter day output). A trip down memory lane for me (growing up in Belgium). Money well spent.

Anyone who might be interested (CR?), here my review on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Through-Time-Complete-Studio/dp/B071RCBYH2/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #469 on: July 21, 2017, 07:13:57 AM »

I remember their work in the mid-aughts as being....middling? Like, the kind of music that's good enough to be listened to a few times, but then you move on and don't think much about it?

So that's how I would classify them. Have they improved lately?

So you missed the first album then, from '99.  It is the best.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #470 on: July 21, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »

Added it to the Spotify playlist so I can make sure I hear it. Thanks for the rec.
Dan, have you listened to it yet? Just curious...

Yes. And that song is fantastic! Thanks for the heads up. The rest of the album: I've heard some of it. Not sure if I listened to the whole thing or not. But I've heard "Dancing Is the Best Revenge" a bunch now and it's just wonderful.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #471 on: July 21, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »

I'm really enjoying the latest Kane Strang album "Two Hearts and No Brain."
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »

So I think I like the new Broken Social Scene album better than the new Arcade Fire album.  Neither are great, but BSS at least redeemed themselves for FORGIVENESS ROCK RECORD.

Arcade Fire, I really liked REFLEKTOR, though many did not, but it did have its clunky moments.  This album flips the ratio of quality to clunky.  I think there are only 4 songs I really enjoy, and only a couple that I think will last... "Electric Blue" and maybe "Creature Comfort", though the lyrics to it are WAY too obvious.  So I don't hate it, but I don't like it all that much.

And if you don't like Creature Comfort, watch a Youtube of it live, as it improves the song about 75%.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #473 on: October 26, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »

Excellent ambient collaboration released today between Brian Eno and Kevin Shields.

Only Once Away My Son

I think I might have a girl boner ...
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Up