Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Most Superfluous Rock Musicians of All Time  (Read 7361 times)

foolsgold

The Most Superfluous Rock Musicians of All Time
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 02:53:10 PM »

This is why I like that, for years, I convinced myself that PE broke up after Fear of a Black Planet.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »

Ouch.  Apocalypse '91 had its moments, yo.  'Shut Em Down,' 'By The Time I Get To Arizona,' some days I'll bust out the Anthrax/PE version of 'Bring The Noise' for fun.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 06:05:57 PM »

I'd like to respectfully submit Andrew Ridgeley of Wham! to the list. When I have a minute, I'll post his dossier of superfluousness.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

rva

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 06:12:45 PM »

Yes, please do.  I have Andrew Ridgely in my list somewhere.   He married into Bananarama didn't he?

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
Re: The Most Superfluous Rock Musicians of All Time
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 06:33:28 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
as an aspiring keyboardist myself

brilliant!

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 06:41:05 PM »

I'm assuming that it's not even necessary to put Linda McCartney on the list.  She's like Lord Stanley, or Oscar--name the award after her, or put her likeness on the statue.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 08:50:52 PM »

ANDREW RIDGELEY

OVERVIEW: Andrew John Ridgeley was born Andrew John Ridgeley on January 26, 1963, in Windlesham, Surrey, England, the first-born son of Jennipher Jill Ridgeley and Albert Mario Ridgeley.

Aphter relocating with his phamily to London, young Andrew made his date with superfluous history in September of 1975, when new student Georgios Kyraicos Panayiotou walked into Ridgeley’s classroom at Bushey Meads School in Watford. The two young guns quickly bonded over Queen and Elton John. While Gorgeous Georgios wanted desperately to become a singer, Andrew nearly missed his rightful place in superfluity by planning on life as a professional footballer.

Fortunately, the Greek gods were watching.

While in their teens, Ridgeley and Panayiotou formed A SKA BAND (emphasis mine) called The Executive. Tragically, The Executive only played two gigs, after which the members decided to take a creative break from each other. Andrew spent his time “developing and refining his formidable musical talents, remarkable sense of style, and artistic direction.” (ClubWham.Tripod.Com)

Enter the 1980s.

While boy bands like Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet were taking the world (and the hearts of young girls) by storm with their good looks, catchy pop tunes, and sense of style, Andrew Ridgeley and Georgios Panayiotou sought to blaze their own unique trail to pop stardom using a blend of good looks, catchy pop tunes, and sense of style.

Wham! made their television debut on the UK’s Top of the Pops and across the pond on American Bandstand in 1983. Their risky pop stardom strategy paid off in spades that year when “Wham! Rap,” co-written by Ridgeley, charted at #8 and “Bad Boys” charted at #2!

On the horizon, however, storm clouds were brewing.

By 1984, Georgios Panayiotou had become George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley became fucked. Michael now commandeered the band’s songwriting, leaving Andrew to “provide the intangible artistic development, control, and style for the group.” (ClubWham)

Two years and numerous Michael-penned superhits later, Michael stuck the fatal fork in Wham! and went on to become a megastar and megalomaniac—two great tastes that taste great together. Twenty years later, Michael was arrested on suspicion of drug possession after being found slumped over the steering wheel of his car, leaving stunned fans everywhere wondering why Michael’s friends didn’t wake him up before they went-went.

Conversely, Ridgeley, staying true to his superfluous roots, became a Formula Three racecar driver and, even more inexplicably, released his own solo record titled Son of Albert. His label, however, titled it a sonofabitch and promptly dropped Andrew, “refusing to recognize his artistic evolution.” (ClubWham)

Ridgeley found solace in his marriage to Bananarama’s Keren Woodward, their son, Thomas, and the knowledge that millions of now-40-year-old women will always remember him fondly as “that other guy from Wham!.”

PEAK OF SUPERFLUOSITY: “Club Tropicana drinks are free; fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone; all that's missing is the sea; but don't worry, you can suntan.”

WHERE IS HE NOW?: Andrew Ridgeley resides with his family in Cornwall, England, where he lends his considerable name and even more considerable free time to the nonprofit organization Surfers Against Sewage.

rva

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 09:55:18 PM »

=D>

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 11:18:59 PM »

These are amazing.

Anyone care if I post these as a series on the mag?

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »

Thanks, Wherle. I used to do a lot of freelance music writing, but it's been a while. This has got the ol' juices going again. (Thanks, rva!) I don't care if you post mine.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 10:26:32 AM »

Hey, rva, do you mind if I do another one, this time on John Oates? (In the spirit of full disclosure, I've been a Hall & Oates fan since 4th grade. But that doesn't mean I'm in denial about his rightful place on the list.  :))

rva

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 11:48:12 AM »

Of course I don't mind, whigsgeek.  This wasn't supposed to be like my "special" thread or anything.

Anyone who wants to can post on a superfluous rockstar.  Or argue against a post.  It's just a (hopefully) fun discussion topic.

Scott, you can any of mine for the 'zine if you want.  Feel free to clean 'em up and edit them how you need to.  I made some grammar and spelling errors.   And I like ending sentences with prepositions.

Mr Pink

• missing in action
  • City Elder
  • aggressively lazy
    • MySpace
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »

i'd like to throw jack irons name into the fold...
[size=9]Forza Azzurri![/size]

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 03:02:42 PM »

How about that guy from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones who does nothing but dance?  Somebody write a thing on him.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

foolsgold

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »

All the torturethon material got me thinking about this thread.  I've been mulling around a couple of members in my head, but it wasn't until I stumbled on to an Arrested Development show in Boston that I finally realized who should be next.

Granted, picking a extraneous member of a hip hop ensemble is probably a bit too easy.  Kind of like doing a mix CD with a city theme and having it be 90% hip hop.  But, while Arrested Development pumped out their biggest hits (ummm, "Tennessee" and "Mr. Wendal" and...ummm...a cover of "Redemption Song), I was inspired by one of the members to write the following:

Baba Oje

OVERVIEW:  He's that old guy from Arrested Development who wears the dashikis with a kofia and looks old and frail in the videos and at the shows.  He does occasionally raise the mic to his mouth and appears to be saying something, but either his mic is off or so low in the mix that nothing is audible.

PEAK: Obviously this came in 1992 when "3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of..." was released and the group enjoyed success with the hit singles "Tennessee" and "Mr. Wendal".  They offered a refreshing alternative from all that scary gangsta rap that was cluttering the charts and secured a place in music history with their daring use of overalls and strawhats.  Among the members, Oje was, perhaps, the enigmatic.  He was kind of like that bad ass ninja dude in the kung fu movies who doesn't do anything for a long time, so you know when he makes his move, it's going to be fucking awesome.

But, old Oje never really made that move.  At the time, perhaps, fans were lead to believe that this guy was some sort of spiritual advisor that kept the group focused and grounded.  Perhaps, he was exactly what the likes of Dr. Dre, Snoop and Ice Cube needed to put down their gats and pick up something a bit less deadly.

But, it wasn't to last.  America enjoyed that brief break from the West Coast keeping it real, but by the time Arrested Development released their next album, it was back to the lowriders and colors.

PEAK OF SUPERFLUOSITY: That is hard to say.  I did a bit of research on this dude, but didn't come up with a whole lot, so I am loathe to understand what the guy did for the band.  Unlike other superfluous dancers like Bez, Cressa, Chas Smash, 75% of Prodigy, he really doesn't do anything on record or on stage.  He just wanders around and looks deep.  That said, at the show, the band took a break and Oje took the front of the stage to do a weird yoga routine that culminated with him on his knees bending all the way backwards.  The crowd ate it up.  I thought I might of seen his nuts.

WHERE IS HE NOW: On stage, doing yoga, wearing African robes and mouthing into his mic.  He's 72 and a vegan.  Bless him, he's still living the dream.  I do have to hand it to the band.  They can't be making much dough and the generosity they exhibit to this man really is rather touching.  Those old efficiency classes I took in my P&G days are kicking in, urging me to call Speech and tell him that he'd save up to "18%" if he'd give the old dude the boot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up