Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to getting back into reading comics  (Read 1428 times)

seldon

• Summer Resident
    • http://seld0n.livejournal.com
trying to getting back into reading comics
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:08:34 PM »

I used to manage a store, and would read everything that came in in a week.  over the last couple years Ive dwindled my list down to the point where the only books I read are desolation jones and fell.

Im thinking about picking up a small handful of titles to start reading on a regular basis.  

I need to know what to read, so suggest some books.

I mostly enjoy the postmodern british isles sensibilty.  Morrison, Moore, Ellis, Ennis good.

crappy cape books where nothing ever changes and they save the world with a smile bad.

Doug

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:54 PM »

I pretty much buy stuff that I can read with my kid, so I probably won't be much help.  I've been getting Lions, Tigers and Bears, Titans Go! and the new Transformers books.  I've picked up a couple of Conan's for myself and I got the Arrow Smith series for my nephew.  Both were pretty cool.  Have you read the Hellblazer stuff.  I got as much as I could from the library and loved it to death, as well as Sandman.

seldon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:18:24 PM »

I havent read hellblazer in a couple arcs, but Ive read most of the old stuff through like 2002.  I wasnt happy with the last arc I read, but Id heard from friends it was getting better.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »

If you like horror type comics, check out Girls.  It is something really different and they have a good handle on how to do modern horror.

I will always recommend Strangers in Paradise.  No capes, no powers, just regular people in great stories.  It is winding down ( I think there are 10 issues or so left) but the TPs are worth picking up.  

As far as superheroes, I am really enjoying the new XFactor.  It's Peter David's attempt to do film noir with capes, and it is really interesting.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Wherle

• Punching Bag
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 03:25:55 PM »

Well, Ellis's bloated ego keeps me away from most of his work, with the exception of Planetary (where the fuck has it been?) and his new capes book for Marvel, Nextwave. As for the other fellas, their stuff is hit or miss for me.

I also haven't started picking up many new books. If anything, I've been culling my list like you have, though I'm a far cry away from two titles a month.

I'm afraid I might no longer be equipped to help you with what you're looking for, but Allan Muenzler might.

Allan? Where you be?

Wherle

• Punching Bag
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »

Ah, I guess I can at least throw a few titles out there for you, though if you've worked at a store in the last few years, you might've already been privy. All are available in trade.

100 Bullets (Vertigo) - Crime noir
Fables (Vertigo) - Fairytale characters in the real world
Y, the Last Man (Vertigo) - All the men on Earth are dead except one dude and his monkey
Ex Machina (Wildstorm) - Former superhero is now mayor of New York
The Walking Dead (Image) - Zombies have overrun the planet, and everybody has to stick together to survive
Kane (Image) - Crime fiction from the master, Paul Grist
Rocketo (Image) - Kid-friendly sci-fi book about a sea-faring mapper's journeys - awesome art
Dogwitch (Sirius) - Odd book about an odd woman with odd sexual perversions - also awesome art

S'all I can think of off the top of my head that might appeal to you. Thumb through at your LCS next time you're in.

seldon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »

my friend chip is totally gay for peter david.  and I have a very soft spot for the xmen books even when theyre bad.  I just buy them instead of reading them at the shop when theyre good.

AllanM

• Summer Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »

Scott sent out the Allan-alert, but I'm a little slow in responding -- my apologies.

Okay, for your Morrison/Ennis/Ellis/Moore thirst, try:
We3 (Vertigo) -- Morrison and Quitely retell The Incredible Journey.  Only with guns.
DMZ (Vertigo) -- Brian Wood, who brings a Brooklyn sensibility to postmodern british isles stuff. This is about a young journalist in war-torn Manhattan.
Jack Staff (Image) -- it's a cape book, but it's not crappy, and things change pretty often.  By Paul Grist.
Exterminators (Vertigo) -- Six Feet Under with bugs.
American Virgin (Vertigo) -- holy roller loses fiance, must deal with issues raised.
Loveless (Vertigo) -- post-modern western.
Queen & Country (Oni) -- British spy thriller -- there's a ton of trades available -- all recommended.
Pages: [1]   Go Up