Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soccer news and rumours  (Read 10694 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »

What a fat twat.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

rva

Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »

Hannover 96's Cherundolo makes the US Squad.  As does Championship League XI Keeper Marcus Hanhnemen, curiously overlooked Reading Teammate Bobby Convey, and Man City's Claudio Reyna.

Decent squad, no surprises.  Only guy I'm not sure about is Bobby Ching, but then I'm not sold on Taylor Twellman either.  We're just a bit weak upfront.  At least Ching seems to partner well with Donavan and he's the better set piece guy.

The hard part is still going to be sorting out who starts at midfield.  Eddie Lewis gets in as defender.  Mastroeni (ugh) gets the defensive midfield holding spot.  Which leaves three spots between Convey, Dempsey, Beasley, Donovan, Reyna, and O'Brien and of course perenial Arena fave Ben Olsen.  

I'll concede to Jonathan's much greater knowledge and say that Dempsey needs to play and he's probably more natural on the right anyway.  Beasley and Donovan are must-starts.  So I guess that makes it Beaseley-Donovan-Mastoreni-Dempsey.  And leaves Convey and O'Brien coming off the bench?!?  That's crazy.  I can't imagine leaving O'Brien out if he's healthy, and I can't imagine leaving Convey off based on his performance at Reading.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 08:24:35 PM »

Convey has got to get a start in the first XI. He's been blinding this year. Your forward line looks to be a confused mixture of all that is weak/old/inexperienced/shit, but I recall Landon Donovan playing up front or just off the main striker when he had a short stay or two in Germany. At least you have a few forwards that are fit! We've Peter fucking Crouch. Great. I think it's a shame about Adu. I'd like to have seen him going along as a squad-member - he would either sink quickly, or swim well. Hahnemann is a good choice - is he your first pick, now? If so, that's great. A very brave 'keeper.

Bocanegra can ge a grand player if he winds his neck in a little bit, and I'm chuffed to bits to see Cherundolo in the line-up, although it's absolutely unsurprising. I'm biased of course, but he's a really loyal guy. I'm sure he'll move in the summer, but he's been a wonderful servant to Hannover, and he plays equipped with big brass bollocks. Not the greatest player, but a tough little guy when he needs to be.

Good luck to your team.
Am Meer

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 08:14:56 AM »

Quote from: "rva"
Decent squad, no surprises.  Only guy I'm not sure about is Bobby Ching, but then I'm not sold on Taylor Twellman either.  We're just a bit weak upfront.

And leaves Convey and O'Brien coming off the bench?!?  That's crazy.  I can't imagine leaving O'Brien out if he's healthy, and I can't imagine leaving Convey off based on his performance at Reading.

I was SO GLAD that Taylor Twellman was not on the roster.  He got a lot of starts in some late friendlies, but I just didn't think he was worthy of selection.

I think you have to start Convey and O'Brien, and bring Beasley and Dempsey off the bench for change of pace... or play a 4-5-1, with Donovan playing a sort of reserved forward role, and have the wings play balls in to McBride's head.... I can't see how O'Brien doesn't start, considering his play in the last WC... and Convey must play considering his play for Reading this year.  This may be Convey's only chance to really shine.  Dempsey punched his way into Arena's doghouse, so frankly I don't think he will start, nor should he.  And Beasley has been completely non-existent for PSV this season.  

As for the defense, all I can say about Bocanegra is that when I had him in my previous Peterborough career, the fucker had the knack of scoring own goals past my keeper at crucial times.  I lost a freakin' Champions League Quarterfinal 1-0 because of that shit.  I thought that must be some kind of fluke in the game... then he nearly scored an own goal in the Germany game, and it frankly scared me how right on that game is.  

Let's all just hope that Arena doesn't get fixated on playing Eddie Pope the whole time.  He's on the downside.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »

I love stories like this

Now FA boss Brian Barwick is saying, "no, we never offered the job to Felipe Scolari! Steve McLaren was always our first choice!"

Can you even be more of a backpedaller? Who do you think you are kidding Mr Barwick?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
Now FA boss Brian Barwick is saying, "no, we never offered the job to Felipe Scolari! Steve McLaren was always our first choice!"

Can you even be more of a backpedaller? Who do you think you are kidding Mr Barwick?

The English FA have always been fucking incompetent... they actually make GWB's administration at the White House look like fucking rocket scientists by comparison.

How they even allowed this vacancy/appointment to occur just a few months before the WC just beggars belief.

I'd love to have confidence in "my team" for the competition, but the stark truth is we probably won't make it through the opening round.
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2006, 04:25:26 PM »

If it makes you feel better, England won the WC in Butter's FM06.  You know, since life imitates video games.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

I'm sure Shrek Rooney was probably healthy in the Butterverse.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 05:11:13 PM »

My prediction: England will lose to Germany in the second round.

The team I'd like to see prove me wrong:

GK: Robinson

D: Hargreaves
D: Terry
D: King
D: Cole

M: Carrick
M: Lampard
M: Cole
M: Wright-Phillips
M: Gerrard

S: Ronaldinho
Am Meer

Butter

• City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 08:01:35 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
I'm sure Shrek Rooney was probably healthy in the Butterverse.

Truthfully, I looked at the England games, and Rooney barely played.  The FM-coach loves Jermain Defoe.

Butter

• City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006, 08:02:21 AM »

Quote from: "Rafe"
S: Ronaldinho

LOL!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:20 AM »

I see Sven has turned to ex-Southampton players to win him the World Cup...

Wayne "Remember Me?" Bridge
&
Peter "LankyStreakO'Piss" Crouch
&
Theee-Oh, Thee-Oh, Theo Walcott

C'mon you Saints!
Opulence. I has it.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2006, 10:04:06 AM »

Oh Jeeebus, he's really going to bring Walcott? I though that was just another idiotic tabloid rumour.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2006, 11:13:48 AM »

Addicks pip Boro to sign Gibbs

No, not CR. Charlton signed American international Cory Gibbs.

rva

Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »

I might have taken Walcott with Rooney healthy, just as a learning experience and whatnot.  With Rooney out it's insane.  Especially when no one's really sure about Crouch.

Neither Bent or Defoe are top-quality world class strikers, but they can do the job.  Rooney being out hurts England, but their midfield is still steller.  If Owen is on form, England can win it... but not with Crouch or Walcott.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up