Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soccer news and rumours  (Read 11518 times)

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2006, 03:59:19 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
I might have taken Walcott with Rooney healthy, just as a learning experience and whatnot.  With Rooney out it's insane.  Especially when no one's really sure about Crouch.

I agree with you. It beggars belief that Lurch and Walcott are the only fit out-and-out strikers in a squad of 27. I'm all about Walcott's inclusion, but only if Rooney and Owen are match fit. Maybe Rooney's recovery is going well behind the scenes, and the reported severity of his injury merely a smokescreen? Yeah I know, I'm probably kidding myself. Well I wish Walcott well, but the fact that Defoe is omitted at this stage is bonkers.

Nice to see Lennon in the squad, though.
Am Meer

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2006, 11:36:30 PM »

Here's the thing about the FIFA rules. It's a lot easier to take an injured player off the roster than it is to put a suddenly healthy one on. You can make a substitution for injury (with one of the people on your taxi squad) up until the kickoff of the first match, then the rosters are frozen. So Sven is going to given Rooney and Owen every opportunity to prove their fitness up until the last minute. Then, if it proves they're not up to the task, he'll replace them with Defoe and Andy Johnson on the morning of June 9th.

Better to put them on the roster now and take them off if need be than to leave them off the roster and not be able to get them back on when they're ready to go.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

rva

Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2006, 12:02:59 AM »

They have a decent shot of getting beyond the group stage with Owen and Defoe, or even Crouch and Defoe.  And then they could have Rooney and Owen back.  If you switch it up before the tournament kick-off then you could be stuck with Walcott and Crouch all the way to the finals and I don't see that happening.

Unless you can change your squad during the tournament itself, I think it's a big risk.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 11:03:55 AM »

"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 11:39:43 AM »

About freaking time.  But one wonders if it's too late to save Timmy's career.  Keepers seem to have a longer shelf life than most anyway, so maybe not.

rva

Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2006, 11:48:47 AM »

I'm surprised they didn't sell him.  I guess they remember that goal he scored on Wayne Rooney.  He has heart.  Without heart, you cannot play.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2006, 12:38:04 PM »

Honestly, I don't think they want to sell him. They know that van der Sar isn't the long-term solution, but they also know that if they continue to let Timmy rot on the bench, then he'll be completely useless to them. So they'll give him a year of regular play with the Toffees, then make a decision on his long-term Manchester United future.

I don't think Timmy's career was damaged by this past season. Besides, like W said, he did score on Wayne Rooney. Even if that commercial was the most action he saw all season.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2006, 10:53:03 AM »

He has heart.  Without heart, you cannot play.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2006, 10:56:46 AM »

Here's a fun one...Darren "Sicknote" Anderton, late of White Hart Lane, 748 Tottenham High Road, London, N17 0AP (or is that OAP?)...to Major League Soccer and D.C. United.

As long as he takes the place of that useless bastard Lucio Filomeno, I'm okay with it.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2006, 11:22:26 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
...Darren "Pompey Scum" Anderton

Fix'd
Opulence. I has it.

rva

Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »

Southampton to make a 1.5m bid for Tommy Smith and Inigo Idiakez.

In FM 2006, I picked up Inigo Idiakez in 2007 and he was absolutely huge for me.  Turned my team from relegation battlers into a solid premiership team and FA Cup contenders.  Idiakez played two good seasons for me, and retired at exactly the point where I would have probably had to make the difficult decision to replace him.  I loved that guy.  I would have had a testimonial for him if FM 2006 let you do this.

Thus, I heartily approve of this move.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2006, 01:16:55 PM »

I would have had a testimonial for him if FM 2006 let you do this.[/quote
That would be a fun feature.

Butter

• City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »

Notice how there's no mention of an expansion draft, or what other team might be joining the mix? That's because it's not really an expansion team.

They call it MLS's 13th team, but mark my words - the Kansas City Wizards will be playing in Toronto next season.

Butter

• City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 12:49:35 PM »

I thought maybe Colorado might be headed there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up