Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports-themed and Music-themed graphic novels  (Read 1539 times)

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Sports-themed and Music-themed graphic novels
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:15:58 PM »

Are there any?  I'm working on booklists for my paper, and I really want to include at least one graphic novel title for each booklist I do.  I can't come up with a music-oriented graphic novel for teens or a sports-oriented graphic novel for teens.  Any ideas?

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »

Do you consider Karate a sport?  There's a series called the BlackBelt Club
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

rva

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:43:13 PM »

Princess Nine?  I think it was a manga before it was anime, but it might be a bit boring for teenagers.

Music:  Red Rocket 7.

Wherle

• Punching Bag
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »

There are a lot of music-themed graphic novels, but most aren't teen oriented. Only one I can think of off the top of my head is called Amazing Joy Buzzards. There's a trade paperback available from image Comics. It's a comedy book, and involves a rock band that travels around and fights supernatural baddies, so it's not entirely music oriented, but pretty hip and funny. I'd second Wendell's recommendation of Red Rocket 7, which also seems to be available in trade form through Dark Horse.

Sports? I'm drawing a complete blank.

If I think of something, or can think of other music-related GNs I'll certainly be back.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:34:43 AM »

Check out the KISS comic books

I hear they put blood in the ink  ;)

AllanM

• Summer Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:55:15 PM »

Oh man -- my bad for not checking in here in a long while...

Sports-related graphic novels... I can't remember if it's teen-friendly, but The Golem's Mighty Swing by James Sturm is really good -- it's about a Jewish barnstorming baseball team in the 30s.  

Also, there's a lot of manga -- Slam Dunk, Rebound, etc.  I liked Slam Dunk (it's Inoue's first manga, and nowhere near as good as his Vagabond, but still enjoyable).

There's also some music manga.  I would suggest checking out Tokyopop.com and seeing what they have to offer.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Are you still looking for this information?
Pages: [1]   Go Up