Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii  (Read 36106 times)

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« on: May 14, 2006, 03:31:00 AM »

You know Steve Jobs is somewhere right now wondering if he can sue Nintendo for not calling their new console the "iWii".  Not that Bill Gates is innocent of ripping off Apple… again and again.   Regardless, the Wii looks slick and Nintendo has done a great job at this year’s E3 of showing that they can continue to be innovative without being just straight out bananas.  And while the Wii controller might visually offend some, the ability to use it intuitively as a sword, gun, golf club, bat, or tennis racket seems priceless (ok, so some of those wouldn’t be intuitive because you don’t use/have those items in your real life, but you know what I mean).  Those who still want to play the new Zelda, but can’t stand the thought of using a controller that looks like a remote control, will be happy to know that a “classic” Nintendo controller will also be available when the Wii launches this fall (see pic below).  See?  Original, but not totally out of their tits… yet.  There’s also a Wii peripheral that combines the remote control and nunchaku-style piece into one controller that looks like a gun.  Zapper?  Hell yeah.  Now if they would only let you shoot the dog from Duck Hunt...

If you haven’t seen/made fun of it already, here’s what the Wii controller and "nunchaku" attachment look like:

And the more traditional controller:

There’s a good chunk of TBD’s, but at least there are some first and third party Wii games announced here.  

If you just want to see some Wii games without watching Nintendo’s hour long press conference, GameTrailers.com is a good place to stream what you’re looking for.    

The Wii Zapper?

What Wii know.  Lots of good Wii info from the folks at GameSpot.    

I’ll link more as I find it, but all of that should give you a pretty good idea of what the Wii is all about.  Heh, I said "Wii".  Ahhh…
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:20:04 AM by pathogen »

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »

Price?  Specs?  Is the system backwards-compatible for games?

I'm not going in the PS3 direction, most likely, so I'm interested in what this has to offer.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »

Straight from the official Wii page:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Size:

Approximately the size of three stacked DVD cases, Wii's elegant design makes it an inviting addition to your entertainment setup without monopolizing it. Thanks to the Wii Remote, you're given more freedom to place the console where it best suits your lifestyle.

Features:

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the "sleepless" WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway"). Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI.

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

No official price or launch date (although Nintendo said before E3 that the Wii would be out in November).

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:56:06 PM »

Right now the only "concrete" pricing info is that the Wii will most likely launch under $200. Some developers have even hinted that it might be priced at $149. I think Nintendo is waiting to see what sort of price drop the Xbox 360 uses to offest the PS3's launch and then announce their pricing, release date, etc.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 02:04:33 PM »

I thought this thing sounded like shit on a stick for a while there when I first read about this goofy controller but damn, this article had me drooling.  Fuck you Sony.

It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

Now that could be interesting.

Big thanks to you Path for keeping up with this stuff, it's really been informative.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Juliana

• City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »

Yeah.
yeah.

I'm in hardcore (for me) game mode right now.  We beat Lego Star Wars for the Gamecube over the weekend, and I'm just itching to play something else (anybody hear anything about the new Rampage that came out a few weeks ago?).

The Wii is looking better and better.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 02:44:48 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
The Wii is looking better and better.

Except for the name, that's still crap.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 01:00:59 AM »

I read an article about it in Time magazine last week. One of the goals is to break into the non-gamer market. One of the challenges for non-gamers is figuring out how to work the controller. With the Wii controller, it may be a bit more intuitive. The reviewer said they had to pry the controller out of his hand. I may just have to check it out.
also known as rcc94

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:04:01 AM »

So are you supposed to hold the Wii controller like a remote, or is it made for two hands?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Juliana

• City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 08:59:50 AM »

Depends on the game.  Mostly, like a remote I think (with the secondary piece in your other hand).  For driving games you hold it sideways with both hands to simulate a steering wheel.

I went to EB Games or Gamestop or one of those yesterday (Picked up Lord of the Rings 2 Towers for $4.99!), and all the guys in the shop were talking about was the Wii and how it blows the PS3 away.  Apparently all the employees have no reserved the Nindendo DS because of the list of upcoming games that Nintendo released.  They've heard the price could be as high as $250, but that the general buzz is about $200.  The $250 price is probably a bundle.
-Ed Helms

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
it's really been informative.

cool.  that makes is worth it.

i'm thinking there will be a $250 tag on the Wii at launch. maybe not, but Nintendo didn't want to talk price @ E3 and that makes me think it will be more than $200. i bet they make a Zelda bundle and maybe a more stripped down version closer to $200? it will probably come down to how much they can take a hit on. MS lost $150 per Xbox when that console launched. i forgot what they're losing now on the X360, but Sony will definitely eat crap on each PS3. i love that so much  \:D/

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 08:44:58 PM »

Quote from: "Nate"
So are you supposed to hold the Wii controller like a remote, or is it made for two hands?

What J said, but here's some more info:

Hands-On with the Wii Controller

With Nintendo's Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference and the show itself looming, we had the opportunity to pop by the company's booth and try out the Wii. During our brief time, we tried out a variety of first-party titles to get a practical feel for just how the unique controller is going to work. Though you'll find our impressions of the five titles we played, Wii Sports: Tennis, Excite Truck, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess elsewhere, we wanted to offer a quick run-through of just how the controller feels and how it's changed since we last saw it.

Before we start, we should note that during our play session Nintendo reps said that the controller we were playing was still considered a prototype, as the possibility for some fine-tuning still existed. That said, the controller we got our hands on wasn't radically different from what we tried last year at the Tokyo Game Show, though there have been some noticeable tweaks to the design. The most radical is the addition of a speaker that rests just below the three buttons that divide the controller in half. The small speaker came into play during the Legend of Zelda fishing sequence we played and complemented its built-in rumble during the parts of the demo where we reeled in our catch, as it emitted the sound of a reel turning. This addition has resulted in the controller being a bit longer, to accommodate the new feature.

The other more subtle differences revolve around the names for the buttons. The main button on the face of the unit is still named A, and the trigger button on the underside is still named B. The vertical row of buttons has seen some tweaks that differ from the official controller images Nintendo released during TGS, though. The first button, seen in photos as saying "select," now has the image of an arrow that's curved counterclockwise, similar to those seen in the refresh icon on a Web browser. The second button, labeled "home" in official images, now has the image of a house on it, similar to one you'd see in a Web browser. The third button, originally labeled "start," now has two horizontal bars on it that look like the pause icon on a music or movie player.

Nintendo displayed an image of the controller with different button icons during its E3 2006 press conference, with a minus sign on the left button, the same house icon on the middle button, and a plus sign on the right button. Below these three buttons and past the speaker are the two buttons that have been alternately labeled a and b (lowercase), or 1 and 2 on the controller variants we've seen in the past. The controller we tried at E3 had the 1 and 2 buttons.

The second part of the controller, the analog attachment that goes by the "nunchaku" moniker, had a more streamlined shape and featured a tweaked button design. The two shoulder buttons, named Z1 and Z2 respectively, have also been reshaped and renamed since we last saw them at the Game Developers Conference a few months ago. The top shoulder button, now called C, is a good deal smaller than the lower shoulder button, now called Z. The C button was oval shaped, while the Z button was a more traditional square.

Though Nintendo still considered the units we were using to be prototypes, we reckon they gave a pretty good sense of the unit's heft. The controllers we had in our hands at the Tokyo Game Show were wired and weighed almost nothing. The wireless prototypes have a decent heft to them now, though. They use AA batteries, which will further add to the weight. At the moment, the main controller feels about as heavy as a Nintendo DS. The nunchaku weighs about as much as a cell phone. Holding both units in either hand feels fine, and the buttons are easy to reach.

We expect it will take time before our fingers get used to the controller's unique landscape and feel totally comfortable sliding around hitting buttons, but so far the controller feels good. The only thing we noticed was that you may find yourself gripping the main controller a little too tightly at first while playing. We reckon this will be an unconscious thing in much the same way most people playing a racing game will lean into turns without thinking or grip their controllers in a vicelike grip when walking around the sky stage in a Mario game. We have to hand it to Nintendo: Despite the Wii controller's unorthodox appearance, the thing is dead easy to pick up and play.

So there you have it. Though we'll again note that Nintendo reps stated the controllers we played were prototypes, we expect that the final units will be pretty close to what we tried. Though we expect there will be tweaking, much like the DS underwent following our first look at E3 two years ago, we have to say that Nintendo has managed to create a controller that's poised to revolutionize how games are played.

Juliana

• City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »

The Video Game store in the KEnwood Mall has the Wii out for demo!
You have to give them your id so you can have a controller, but it's worth not having your license for a few minutes.  

Kwyj and I played Excite Truck last night.  It's going to take some getting used to, but it was awesome!

THe graphics looked good.  For Excite Truck, and probably all the driving games, you hold the controller in both hands and steer like a steering wheel (which is oddly difficult, at least at first).  You use the 1 & 2 buttons (which, let's face it, most of us will think of as A & B) as the gas and brake.  The arrow pad is for the turbo boost.  You tilt the controller up or down to controll the angle of your car when you're in a jump.

The guys at the store said that they've been playing with it off and on all day, and that the more you play, the easier it is to get used to it, which makes complete sense.  The kid who had played more said that once you get the hang of it, it's "insane."

This really REALLY makes me excited for the action and sports games.  Doing sword fights with this makes me a little giddy.

:)
-Ed Helms

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 09:36:31 AM »

I want one.  My brother and his wife are getting one, and I want one!  It's on my xmas list.  Funny thing is, I'm more likely to get this than the new tires I asked for.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »

So I take it no one has gotten their hands on a Wii yet?

Two questions:

1.) I've seen the memory cards and they seem to be regular run of the mill SD memory cards, is that the case?  Can I buy any ol' SD card and use it with a Wii when I get one?

2.) What about the wireless capabilities.  What do I need to get this thing on the net?  Do I just need a wireless router connected to my brandband modem?  Is it that easy?

I ask because both things will be on sale in various places on Friday.  If I could pick them up at a discount in anticipation of having a Wii I'd be really happy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up