Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii  (Read 36245 times)

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 10:41:13 PM »

Quote from: "dirk"
I think last night made up my mind to pick up an Xbox 360, as DOA4 pushed me over the edge in choice.

check out Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion if you like (or are at the least bit interested in) RPG's.  lots of fun.  Call of Duty 2 and 3 are great shooters (2 should be cheap by now, esp. used).  NFS Most Wanted and Burnout Revenge are excellent arcade racers.  GRAW and the new RS6 Vegas are sweet tactical shooters that offer a lot of on and offline play.  and, of course, Gears of War is a very pretty, solid 3rd-person shooter that will make your junk that much larger from just buying a copy.

and Dead Rising, gotta check that out.  and Saints Row if you like Grand Theft Auto-style games.  and the Godfather is also another GTA-style game that will keep you entertained for a long time.  and Battlefield 2 is one to own if you like online multiplayer games.  and...

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 11:53:01 PM »

I just put my extra (unopened) wii up on ebay.  We bought one for our nephew, because Brian's sister asked us to.  Then, when we got home with it (after camping out for 6.5 hours), we called her, and she said, "Oh!  My husband ended up getting one this morning!  Whoops!"   Grumble, grumble.  At least now maybe we can get "paid" for camping out in the cold all night.

Hell Toupee

Nintendo Wii
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 09:52:49 PM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
I just put my extra (unopened) wii up on ebay.  We bought one for our nephew, because Brian's sister asked us to.  Then, when we got home with it (after camping out for 6.5 hours), we called her, and she said, "Oh!  My husband ended up getting one this morning!  Whoops!"   Grumble, grumble.  At least now maybe we can get "paid" for camping out in the cold all night.

I'm trying to avoid Extortion Bay for getting one. Hopefully Sunday will prove to be fruitful instead of frightful.

rva

Nintendo Wii
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »

This site is kind of funny:  http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/

The smashing of overhead lights seems to be a common occurrence.  I can see that.  Your instinct is to check to make sure you have space around you, but you forget to think about the space above.  Then again, what spazz shoots their arm up that high and that hard while bowling?

Juliana

• City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2006, 12:03:48 PM »

Nintendo has started a voluntary recall for people who want to get thicker straps.  They're just under double the size of the current straps.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 06:39:43 PM »

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 10:00:03 PM »

Opulence. I has it.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 10:45:35 PM »

Water intoxication? Who knew?

Think there'll be a lawsuit?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 09:45:12 AM »

How exactly does one die of drinking water?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Q. Can You Drink Too Much Water?
From Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,
Your Guide to Chemistry.

A. You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:
Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes.

Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.
What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.  
Well.......

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 12:53:50 PM »

To simplify that:
Hyponatremia is an issue long distance runners deal with. That's why they are always eating pretzels and potato chips - not b/c those are good for you but to refill your body with the salt lost in your sweat. It's this salt (apparently) that allows your body to absorb the much needed water.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2007, 01:14:27 PM »

Consuming too much of anything is bad for you.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

dirk

• City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »

Yes, what happens if your cells try to normalize the salt content between inside the cell and outside.  If you flood your system with water, the cells realize the salt content in the cells is lower than outside and try to absorb water to try and normalize it.  They can end up absorbing so much water that your cells actually explode.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Nintendo Wii
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:53 AM »

I keep thinking there are new posts about the Wii... but alas, no.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up