Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronic Entertainment Expo 2006  (Read 1442 times)

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
Electronic Entertainment Expo 2006
« on: May 14, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »

E3 2006!

Every year in May game industry professionals and journalists from around the world (it was estimated that over 70,000 people attended E3 last year) converge on the Los Angeles Convention Center for a week of press conferences and previews into what the gaming world can expect to see over the next few years (some games shown at E3 will not actually reach store shelves for 12+ months).  Some games shown at E3 were expected and anticipated, but the ˝ the fun of the show comes from developers and publishers unveiling new games and hardware at E3 for the first time.  This year is no exception, while E3 news is still being reported and uploaded online every minute of every hour, there’s already an avalanche of info out there about previously known and brand spanking new games that made their global debut at E3.  

This year’s E3 is especially huge thanks to the release of new consoles from gaming giants Sony and Nintendo.  The Wii!!!!!  Ok, the name is still odd, but so far, the Nintendo Wii and the games announced for that system look like a lot of fun.  Methinks Nintendo is heading in the right direction with their next generation of games and hardware.  But that’s just my $0.02, judge for yourself! Within the DS forum, I’ll be posting a truckload of E3 links and screen shots for PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, GameCube, Xbox, PSP, PS2, and Nintendo DS games.  To start things off, look below to find links to sites that will allow you to stream and/or download this year’s press conferences from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.  I’ll also throw in a few links to gaming sites that I’ve found have a lot of tasty E3 news and video clips (and don’t pop you ads left and right).  Let’s go!  

Gamespot has all three press conferences available right here.  They also feature links to game reel highlights for games from Sony, Nintendo, and MS.  Helpful folks, they are.  

IGN is also featuring all three press conferences in streamed and downloadable forms.  The Microsoft conference is here,  Nintendo’s is here, and you can find Sony’s snoozefest here.  

The press conferences for MS and Nintendo clock in right around an hour, while Sony’s conference drags on for almost two.  Out of all three, I think Nintendo did the best job of convincing the gaming world that their new console (and it’s non-traditional controllers) really does have something new to offer.  They infused a lot of video clips of how the Wii controllers can be used and, yeah, they even talk about their consoles unusual new name (it was formally being called the “Revolution”).  They show vids of a bunch of new Wii games and talk about their plans for the DS.  There’s also a pretty cool demo of the new Zelda game being played using the Wii’s controller and how the controller’s built in speaker can be used to enhance games.  Nice move, Nintendo.

MS showed off a lot of good looking new Xbox 360 games and demo’d how their new operating system (Vista) will utilize a new gaming service they’re calling Live Anywhere.  Basically, Live Anywhere is Xbox Live that can be accessed for a PC running Vista and any cell phone (!!!) running Windows Mobile.  They showed demos of how you can send something from a X360 to someone at home on their PC and then on to someone else’s cell phone.  Pretty sweet.  They also broke the news that the next Grand Theft Auto game will launch on the Xbox 360 on the same day it’s released on the PS3.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Bill Gates was back stage chocking his chicken when that bombshell was dropped.  No exclusivity for you, Sony!  Oh yeah, they also played a rather vague Halo 3 trailer that really didn’t really show you anything about the actual game itself.  That’s ok, Halo 2 wasn’t really all that, anyway (imho, of course).    

And then there was Sony.  I really expected them to blow the roof off of E3 with some huge PlayStation 3 news.  Yeah, not so much.  They spent too much time talking about how many PS2’s and PSP’s have been sold worldwide via a series of exciting graphs and charts (and by “exciting” I mean “we’re going out of business soon at this rate”).  Sony wheeled out the creator of the of the Gran Turismo series and he demo’d a lot of footage from the upcoming GT game on the PS3.  Eh.  The also debuted the PS3 controller, which looks a lot like the current controller, but it also has triggers like the Xbox controller and a motion sensor like the upcoming Wii controller.  While there were some great looking PS3 game previews (most notably the new Metal Gear and Final Fantasy games as well as a new property, Eight Days), Sony’s press conference didn’t quite justify the $500-600 confirmed price tag of their new machine.  I have no doubt that the PS3 will bear forth some fantastic games, especially once developers have had a few years to spend with Sony’s new Cell processor.  But until then, you’re looking at several good, but mostly mediocre games until at least late 2007.  Wii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit up FileFront’s E3 page for a ton of streams and video downloads, free for the taking.  If you choose to steam over download, and why wouldn’t you, click the “Stream” button for that game and then click the “game on” screen on the right side of the page (top).  For whatever reason, clicking the Play button won’t launch the video you’re trying to stream.  

Here’s the official E3 site.  

GameSpot has a sweet E3 section up and running here.  

IGN is a large gaming site.  Here’s their E3 site.  That’s all I have to say about that.

Joysiq is another lovely gaming site w/E3 coverage.  Ok, they all have E3 coverage.  Even NPR is covering the expo this year.  Yay!  I need some tacos.  

Game Informer is the biggest gaming magazine out there.  While that much popularity usually = @$$, I have to give GI credit for getting the inside scoop on games that no one else will have for months to come.  They should, what publisher wouldn’t want to make a big announcement on the cover of the gaming mag with the largest reader subscription base.  Indeed! Anyway, they have a bunch of E3 news flashes and screen shots and the like.  No tacos, though.  Screwy bastards.

The New York Times gets in on the E3 action.

Gametrailers.com.  Oh yeah, baby.  

Ok, that’s plenty of E3 linkage to start with.  I’ll throw up a thread for each of the major consoles tonight or tomorrow and then link the hell out of the tons of screens, video previews, and news stories that are floating around out there.  And there’s a LOT out there, folks.  

Sit a spell, take your shoes off…

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:47:33 PM »

MS E3 press conference breakdown.

Sony E3 Conference News Round Up.

(then) Live breakdown of Nintendo's E3 press conference.  

The more I read comments about Nintendo's press conference, the more I realize that I thought more of it than a lot of folks.  Oh well, at least this guy agrees that the Sony conference was a dud:

"Sony led off the 2006 E3 press conference schedule on Monday with a whisper. No, that's not an exaggeration. Not one announcement Sony made drew any applause whatsoever from an anxiously awaiting press corps. You could hear crickets chirping during the mention of the $600 price tag their flagship unit would carry come it's November release."

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:21:16 PM »

E3 06: Live-action Metal Gear Solid movie confirmed

For the love of all that is good and right in the world, PLEASE cast Snake's part with someone who would actually make sense.  I'm hoping for the best, but somewhat expecting Hollywood to totally !@#$ up this hallowed gaming franchise.  Then again, Peter Jackson is the exec producer for the upcoming Halo movie, so that's a good sign for game-to-movie adaptations (and at least one person has mentioned that the recent Silent Hill flick was pretty good).

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:28:27 PM »

Speaking of possible movie disasters....

E3 06: World of Warcraft headed for Hollywood

New York Times reports that Blizzard plans to announce its PC MMORPG's jump to the big screen on Tuesday.

LOS ANGELES--World of Warcraft has been rumored to be jumping platforms to the Xbox 360 for some time, but if The New York Times is correct, the next jump it makes will instead be to the world of film.

The Times is reporting that Blizzard will announce Tuesday that its massively successful, massively multiplayer online role-playing game is set to be made into a big-budget fantasy picture along the lines of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings films, with Warner Bros.' Legendary Pictures handling the production.

Director, cast, release date, and budget are all undetermined as of yet, but the paper quotes Blizzard CEO Paul Sams as saying that the goal is to make "one of the best films in the world," a World of Warcraft pic that will appeal to gamers and nongamers alike. He said Legendary Pictures management was keenly attuned to what Blizzard wanted out of a World of Warcraft film. Legendary's first film was Batman Begins. Other projects being brought to the big screen by Legendary Pictures include Superman Returns, The Ant Bully, Where the Wild Things Are, and Frank Miller's 300.

At least that last sentence is promising.  

And now that I think about it, I would pay good $$$ to hear someone like Steve Buscemi dressed up like an undead warlock scream "FOR THE HORDE!!!!" on the big screen.  Heh.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:12:54 PM »

So, Path, have you ever been to E3?

Is it as crazy as the press coverage makes it out to be?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull
Pages: [1]   Go Up