Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brad Nowell  (Read 3797 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Brad Nowell
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:32:46 AM »

10 years ago today, Sublime singer/guitarist Brad Nowell passed away much too soon. In my opinion, he was one of the most under-rated musicians of the 90's (his band mates are the other 2.)

At least his music is still there.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 08:24:51 AM »

40 Ounces to Freedom pretty much owned me for two years...and I didn't even know about it until 1998. I didn't hear about Sublime until they hit their commercial peak and I ignored them. But, later, a DUDE turned me on to 40 Ounces and it has been one of my favorite albums since that day.

Wish I could have seen them live, just once, during those early days...
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

rva

Brad Nowell
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »

I find a lot of their stuff to be a little too frat clownboy ska for my taste.

But one thing that always kinda stuck out to me was Brad Nowell's guitar playing.  I'm no fan of "Santeria" or "What I Got" but I can remember hearing both songs for the first time and thinking "Wow, that was a really nice little lick right there." There's just a lot of good stuff going on guitar-wise underneath that adds a lot to the songs, is pretty creative, and isn't over-the-top.  That's just great musicianship.  I think he is hugely underrated in that respect.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:35:37 PM »

I really like 40oz, it's one of my favorites.  my wife and I listened to it non-stop when we were dating (back in 95). that album holds a lot of good memories for me.  I got way burned out on them when "what I got" became huge, but I still go back to 40oz all the time.  It's a shame that he died, I'd love to hear what Sublime would sound like today he hadn't.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Brad Nowell
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:33:53 PM »

Has it really been ten years? Holy crap. Doesn't seem possible.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »

Yeah, I've been pretty sad all day, but blasting the shit out of 40oz. I'll listen to the Bradley Nowell and Friends acoustic blbum tonight.

I always thought he was way underrated as a guitarist as well, but that voice of his was the deal sealer for me. I've seen Bud Gaugh and Eric Wilson since, but it's not the same. I always wished I could have seen them live. And Nirvana.

Sublime's music definately got over-played and that's a shame, but so much of their music was so good, I didn't care about that. I can still listen to "What I Got" any day of the week, even after having it force-fed to me via Radio and MTV.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Brad Nowell
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:38:46 PM »

Sure their music was a little frat-boy, stoner, surfer sounding, but I think without Sublime you wouldn't have seen that whole ska explosion in the late 90s.  That and Jack Johnson owes his career to Sublime, too.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

Brad Nowell
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 12:37:44 AM »

You mean the punk-ska explosion that brought us the likes of Jack Johnson, Reel Big Fish, No Doubt and big-label Less than Jake?  umm... I don't want to be all judgmental here but let's just say that personally, I'd be much happier had that not happened.

Still, I think it says something that even though I hate that genre and I've heard "What I Got," "Date Rape," and "Santeria" about 10,000 times I still don't mind too much when they come on. And for all the frat-boy appeal, underneath it there was a cleverness and thoughtfulness in the lyrics and music that none of their followers matched.  

That style wasn't really commercial until Sublime made it that way.  And they didn't sell out to do it, the market just caught up.  Brad Nowell made the music he liked, that meant something to him and others, and that even guys like me can appreciate to some degree.  If I can't go so far as to actually dig it, that's just my difference in taste.  He was a true artist, and I respect the guy tremendously.

c-lando

• City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »

Quote from: "Nate"
That and Jack Johnson owes his career to Sublime, too.

And to *ahem*G. Love*ahem*.

berzerker

• I turn my camera on...
  • City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 01:55:09 PM »

Quote from: "c-lando"
Quote from: "Nate"
That and Jack Johnson owes his career to Sublime, too.

And to *ahem*G. Love*ahem*.

That's whom I immediately thought of - and I for one am grateful that G Love followed in Sublime's footsteps.
ny day now how's about
Getting out of this place, anyways,
Got a lot of spare time
Some of my youth
And all of my senses on overdrive

c-lando

• City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 02:41:56 PM »

Yeah. G has tipped his hat to Brad quite a few times.
But, I also meant that Jack owes much of his career to G.
But, you know what I mean...

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Brad Nowell
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 10:53:26 PM »

Didn't G Love show up before Sublime?  I kind of always thought they were doing different things musically.

Juliana

• City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 08:41:58 AM »

Most of those bands showed up about the same time.
That scene was huge 10 years ago.  It was that whole Orange County thing.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Brad Nowell
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »

But G. Love is from Philly and is blues-influenced.  I always thought that those California bands were just folk, rock, reggae, and hip-hop all rolled into one.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Brad Nowell
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »

I still like a few sublime songs.  I was really into them when I was in high school.  I find some of the lyrics to the songs a bit silly these days though, but oh well...
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up