Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a question...  (Read 168187 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: I have a question...
« Reply #2010 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »

i suppose i'm not that interested.  just need a few more old hands to call upon.  i really like brother thelonious and coltrane.  what did kerouac bop to?

That's actually an interesting question.  I feel like he probably didn't actually listen to the stereotypical beat jazz sound with bongos and the skronky sax. He kind of invented the beat jazz poetry reading, thus he couldn't have listened to it because it wasn't around for him to listen to until he made it.  And then it evolved after that.

He would have been in NY like late 40's/50's. Which is basically the peak of bebop era and the transition towards post-bop/hard-bop/modal playing.  So yeah Monk, Coltrane, early Miles Davis, Parker, Gillespie.  Pretty much any of the big names from that era.

One thing about jazz in that period is that it wasn't like there was a Beatles that came along and changed things and ushered in a whole new generation of artists.  The musicians were evolving along with the music.  Or more accurately the musicians were the ones evolving the music.  Kerouac was in Greenwich Village seeing these guys all the time probably, so he was making and influencing the journey right along with them. 

So you can just pick any big name from jazz and listen to their album at the time.  I'd like to think that Kerouac would have been kind of at the forefront so was probably more into Miles Davis.  I have no idea, though.  But he had to listen to a lot of bebop, because he was there before postbop existed.  Also, I hate Miles Davis and I hate Kerouac for similar reasons.  They were kindred spirits.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #2011 on: February 15, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »

When in doubt, just go with anything Harry Bosch refers to in the books.

There is a playlist on Amazon but it's more than just Harry's jazz faves.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SL7V5T/ref=dm_dp_pl_rdr
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:54:05 AM by c-lando »
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #2012 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »

IHaQ:
What would you do if you were walking your dog and saw a man on the ground, on the side of the road, in your neighborhood? You've made sure that he's alive (though you were sure for a second that he was maybe going to be dead). Now what?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2013 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »

I do believe I'd call the authorities on that one.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #2014 on: March 19, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »

I do believe I'd call the authorities on that one.
What if the guy looks kind of young, clean cut, and has some club clothes on?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2015 on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »

Me?  My answer still stands.  Sounds like you might be more of the boys will be boys variety than I am.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2016 on: March 19, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »

when i was at burning man they'd just give you some cocaine
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #2017 on: March 19, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »

Me?  My answer still stands.  Sounds like you might be more of the boys will be boys variety than I am.
More of a "that person might need some help" variety.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2018 on: March 19, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »

IHaQ:
What would you do if you were walking your dog and saw a man on the ground, on the side of the road, in your neighborhood? You've made sure that he's alive (though you were sure for a second that he was maybe going to be dead). Now what?

I have had people call the police on me in a similar situation, and it sucked and I got stuck with a massive hospital bill, when I was just dead drunk and probably would have been fine on my own.  But I think they did the right thing so I was never mad.

I have also called the police on someone else and they got stuck with a massive hospital bill for no reason.  But they weren't mad at me (She was diabetic, and I could have just fed her some sugar but how could I have known that)?

So at this point, I just figure it's no big deal anymore to call the cops on someone trying to help them.  Living in a student area like I do (or did up until last year), this kind of thing happens to me once or twice a year.  I'll usually try to wake someone, and then find a way to get them home or have someone pick them up if I can.  But then, I'm a guy.  I don't think I'd do it if I was a woman.  I'd just call the police/medical services.

Unless it's a crust punk.  Then I call the cops, but I'm doing it in a mean-spirited way hoping they get busted.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2019 on: March 19, 2018, 04:59:20 PM »

Sadly, I see this thing rather often.

Even sadder, is I never do anything about it. Ever. As a rule, almost.

I think it says things about me that I don't like to know.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #2020 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »

12 hours later...I would have called 911 (or the non-emergency number if you knew it). 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2021 on: March 20, 2018, 06:27:55 AM »

i was driving to my father's in louisville a few years ago round christmas time.  i wasn't any further than florence yall when this car ahead of me slams into the median and rides at 65 mph for a few good minutes before moving back into the high speed lane and then crashing and riding the median again and again.  all without disputing traffic.  people (including me) are slowing down speeding up anything to get away from this disaster. 

i wonder how many people like me just assumed someone else was calling the police?  later i found out it was a couple with a child in the car od'd on heroin.  a big ass civilian truck hopped in front of them and slowed the car down to a stop

so yeah, someone will eventually do something about it.  don't beat yourself up dan
poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #2022 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

Probably absolutely nothing unless they were directly in front of my house.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #2023 on: March 20, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »

After I made sure that the guy was alive, I took my dog home and came back with a bottle of water and my cell phone (in case he needed to call someone). On my way back to him, there was a couple ahead of me who spotted the guy and promptly turned around and started walking in the opposite direction. They made eye contact with me so I told them that I was helping him and they thanked me in a way that definitely said "I'm glad someone else is taking care of this".

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #2024 on: March 20, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »

On a hot summer day a few years ago I took a spill while riding my bike. Flew over the handle bars, landed on my shoulder, heard the muffled "pop!" of my collar bone breaking. I laid on my back on the sidewalk. Some kids in the park across the street laughed, then hollered, "Hey! You okay?" They asked again after I didn't reply. I lifted my hand, maybe giving them the thumbs up, I don't remember, to relieve their consciences, aka, get them to leave me alone if they weren't actually going to come over and check on me.

I was there for several minutes. It was a quiet back street. I tried to sit up, but the broken clavicle had other plans for me. I finally did sit up, then stayed that way for a while. Finally a car came by, and the driver stopped. She asked if I was okay. I had gathered myself together enough to tell her I broke something. She asked what she could do. Fortunately, I lived just a couple blocks away. I said I just needed some water, that I could walk home presently. The only water bottle she had had been sitting in the hot car, and was hot, as well. I said that was fine, I just needed some water in me. After a few minutes I got to my feet, then hobbled home.

When I think of that day, I always remember the nervous laughter of the kids in the park, as if helping someone in need is frightening. I also remember the kindness of the woman who stopped. I could tell she felt helpless. I thanked her then, but I don't know if she realizes how grateful I am.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137   Go Up