Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 139   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a question...  (Read 187735 times)

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »

Quote from: "rva"
And then someone said "Well crap, why don't we make a window in the roof that also opens like a sunroof."  And from that point on, the two terms have been interchangeable.

i looked around online after posting my question and that's pretty much what everyone said.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 11:08:36 AM »

I have a question, if you're working a short-term temp assignment, is it improper to leave in the middle of the day for a job interview?
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 11:50:22 AM »

Improper? Fuck no.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 11:55:24 AM »

Even when they made a big production out of giving me time off on Monday (my last day here) to take my daughter to children's hospital for a bunch of tests? It was like I was dealing with the government.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:21 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
Improper? Fuck no.  Will they like it?  Probably not.  Should you really give a shit?  Absolutely, without a doubt, no.

Fix'd
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
Quote from: "Jonathan"
Improper? Fuck no.  Will they like it?  Probably not.  Should you really give a shit?  Absolutely, without a doubt, no.

Fix'd

And there we have it. Thanks  :lol

Juliana

• City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »

That's the awesomeness of temping, you don't answer to them.  As long as your agency is cool with it, the people at the job don't matter much.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 12:04:29 PM »

And if the agency is a bitch about it they can always put some other member of their rabble in the job, then eventually realize what lowlifes 95% of the people they send out are and quickly forget that you needed an afternoon off.  Barring that, there are lots of other temp agencies.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 12:12:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
And if the agency is a bitch about it they can always put some other member of their rabble in the job, then eventually realize what lowlifes 95% of the people they send out are and quickly forget that you needed an afternoon off.  Barring that, there are lots of other temp agencies.

Actually, the job I'm interviewing for was found for me by another temp agency (and I'll only be gone for maybe an hour and a half).  :-$  The agency I got the current position through has been really great about calling me to tell me they've submitted my resume for positions or that they don't know the status of any of the positions they've submitted my resume for.  Technically, I'm supposed to be interviewing for a position through them tomorrow, but I haven't heard anything at all.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »

Quote from: "cuddlyevil"
Even when they made a big production out of giving me time off on Monday (my last day here) to take my daughter to children's hospital for a bunch of tests? It was like I was dealing with the government.

That right there is a reason to screw them over. Twats.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 04:54:19 PM »

Well, forget I even asked. They just called me and cancelled the interview because they're bringing back the person who filled the position last summer. As a consolation prize, I'm being put up for another position in another department.

I should've just applied for unemployment and been done with it.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 05:29:18 PM »

Well, now you know for the interview for that other position in that other department.

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »

so is it "systems administrator" or "system administrator"?  

stupid, but it bugs me.  1/2 of the admins use one or the other in their sig lines here at work.  i don't like "systems", even though each of us is responsible for a # of apps.  just sounds wrong.

rva

I have a question...
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 09:10:11 PM »

I feel like it should be system administrator.   Technically, most system administrators probably administer more than one system, but that doesn't matter.

Like no matter how many restaurants you manage, you're still a restaurant manager.  Not a restaurants manager.  Or a car dealer, toy seller or stock trader.  You deal cars, sell toys, and trade stocks.  But when you nounify it using the er model, you use the base unit of what you're er-ing.

There shouldn't be an s unless you're dealing with something like pants or scissors where the singular is the same as the plural.

monkey neck

• Strange, but not a stranger
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 11:02:37 PM »

Quote from: "rva"

There shouldn't be an s unless you're dealing with something like pants or scissors where the singular is the same as the plural.

Heh.  I'm a pants administrator.  Someday I'll get promoted to pants de-administrator.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 139   Go Up