Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 139   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a question...  (Read 197257 times)

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
I feel like it should be system administrator.   Technically, most system administrators probably administer more than one system, but that doesn't matter.

Like no matter how many restaurants you manage, you're still a restaurant manager.  Not a restaurants manager.  Or a car dealer, toy seller or stock trader.  You deal cars, sell toys, and trade stocks.  But when you nounify it using the er model, you use the base unit of what you're er-ing.

There shouldn't be an s unless you're dealing with something like pants or scissors where the singular is the same as the plural.

thank you.  i feel better about being annoyed by "systems".  sounds all wrong.

pathogen

• not now james...
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

ahh, i just thought of a good example to use at work.  no one is a "projects manager", they are "project" managers.  that should help prove my point.  sweeeet.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

I have a question, would it be wrong of me to call the local number for Olan Mill's processing center in Tenneessee and ask for an explanation as to why it's taken 4 1/2 weeks for my reprint order to go into production (after I was promised [in writing]that the order would be in 2-3 weeks later)?
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
I have a question...
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2006, 03:28:42 PM »

I have a question, Olan Mills still exists?  I could've sworn they ceased to be about the time 1980 rolled around.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Doug

I have a question...
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 03:36:12 PM »

Quote from: "pathogen"
so is it "systems administrator" or "system administrator"?  

stupid, but it bugs me.  1/2 of the admins use one or the other in their sig lines here at work.  i don't like "systems", even though each of us is responsible for a # of apps.  just sounds wrong.

It says "Systems Administrator" on my card.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »

Well, your card is a fucking douche then, innit?

Doug

I have a question...
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2006, 04:06:13 PM »

May as well be.  The last good use I got out of one of my business cards was when I got a popcorn hull stuck between my teeth  and I extricated it with the edge of the card.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2006, 11:38:39 PM »

Good use of the word "extricated".
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Doug

I have a question...
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 07:02:20 AM »

Yay...bonus points!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »

Next question.  Does anybody have any tips on cleaning leather furniture?  We've procured a leather recliner that has definitely been well loved.  I've gotten the majority of the rub marks out of it with toothpaste though a couple are being persitent.  Otherwise it's in good shape just generally dirty, which probably wouldn't even be noticable if not for the fact that it's cream colored.

I've read several suggestions for home made cleaning and conditioning concotions does anybody have any "road tested" tips they could share?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2006, 09:01:29 PM »

Kwyj, I'll ask my mother-in-law what she uses on her leather sofa, she's sure to have something you can use.

I also have a question, if you had to choose between taking a job which would put you at the low-end of the totem pole but start you on a new career path and taking a job which would keep you in your current career path but give you way more responsibility, which would you choose? (Both jobs would pay in about the same range and have great benefits)
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
I have a question...
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 09:42:17 PM »

Quote from: "cuddlyevil"
I also have a question, if you had to choose between taking a job which would put you at the low-end of the totem pole but start you on a new career path and taking a job which would keep you in your current career path but give you way more responsibility, which would you choose? (Both jobs would pay in about the same range and have great benefits)

Well, speaking as one who is targeting a semi-new career (or beefing up other skills), I would suggest you consider your long-term goals.  If you think the new career path is growing or you have more interest in it - go for it.  Now's the time!  

But if you have other goals and the added responsibilities you mention won't interfere too much with family time, then maybe that's your route.

Sounds like either direction you decide on, you'll be building up some great skills for your resume!   :)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »

I have a question, when did people start asking serious questions in this thread?

I have another question, how do you spell potato?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
I have a question...
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »

Why is that a half-used avocado in my fridge can last 2 to 3 days before it begins to turn brown, while guacamole in my fridge starts to turn brown in about 6 hours?

rva

I have a question...
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2006, 02:03:04 AM »

If you have onions in the guacamole, the enzymes in the onions probably speed up chemical reactions, breaking down avacado-y molecules into acids.  Also, since the guacomole is all pulped up and crap there's more surface area for stuff in the air to react with.

I suspect Bluelupis would be able to give you a kickass answer to this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 139   Go Up