Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A journey to the brink of madness  (Read 33425 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
A journey to the brink of madness
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 10:14:51 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
Quote from: "MissKitty"
And I'm not brave enough to challenge RVA to a "Crap Song Duel" by attempting to listen to "Break Out" over and over all day long. Lord.

You know, as his big sis, you really should get him to put a stop to this crazy experiment before he causes any permanent damage.

He's his own man. A madman, but his own madman.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 10:27:42 AM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
Quote from: "Poncho the Sane"
When did you work at Dingleberry's MK?

From 1986-1999.

Then I can only imagine the number of times I've interacted with you.  I bought a lot of music there.

There was a guy who worked there... I think his name was Doug?????? who (I think) grew up in Middletown... he was like 3 years older than me (puts him graduating HS in about 1988-ish).  Thin, tall guy... a little nerdy for a musician type (which he was)... but he was really nice.  He would give me these goofy little promo tapes/cds you guys got from labels.  He always said it was just another way to get rid of the crap you guys had to play over and over and over.  I still have them somewhere.  Those are how I found out about Teenage Fanclub and Urban Dance Squad... well before they hit the airwaves.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 10:41:32 AM »

I can't remember a Doug, but it sounds like you are describing Todd. Was he a drummer?

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »

Short hair, clean cut?

ETA... yes, I believe he was a drummer.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 10:53:05 AM »

heh... if you ever go to a Columbus Crew game, the "cheerleaders" (side rant- why does every professional sports team now have a cheerleading team- the reds, the crew... what is going on here???) do a dance at halftime to "we built this city."

watusi

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 10:57:46 AM »

Quote from: "kcneon"
Quote from: "foolsgold"
"Ebony and Ivory" by McCartney and Wonder

That has to be the worst song recorded by two legends.  In fact, it's just plain sad.

let us not forget "say,say,say" with Macca and Jacko. the only thing worse than the song was the video.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 11:00:53 AM »

Quote from: "Poncho the Sane"
Short hair, clean cut?

ETA... yes, I believe he was a drummer.

Definitely NOT Todd. He had long hair and was certainly not clean cut! But he did graduate from Middletown around '88.

I'm wondering if it was Nick you are thinking of? He would have graduated from Centerville in 87-88, was quite tall and thin, clean cut, really super nice guy, nerdy and a musician. He's been the guitarist in The Obvious, Cage, Raging Mantras, Ohio Silver, Mulchmen, and most recently Nicky Kay and the Kaytones.

There was another tall, thin, clean cut supernice guy there who graduated in '88 named Greg. Looked a lot like Paul Weller circa first solo LP after Style Council disbanded. Can't remember where he graduated HS from, possibly either Centerville, Oakwood or Alter.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 11:27:55 AM »

Wait... I'm confusing them.  I know Todd.  Todd and I had a couple of classes together his senior year and we worked in the library together... so as to have goof off time.

It was Nick.  It wasn't that he graduated from Middletown... he had family in Middletown that I knew.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 11:29:19 AM »

You know what we haven't had? An update from RVA. I think he's already driven himself mad.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 11:32:42 AM »

Is anyone else worried that we don't have an update from rva yet?

"Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio"

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 11:34:18 AM »

Also, I'm curious if RVA is listening to the album version, which references SF, or a version which references some other city.

rva

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 11:39:30 AM »

8:00 AM:  The Journey Starship Starts

I was hoping that there was some kind of intro to the song, even though I don't remember one.  Something that would help me ease my way out of sleepybye land.  Preferably something at least 5 minutes like a Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding type deal.

Alas, no.  I'm harshly awakened at exactly 8:00 AM with "We Built this City!  We Built this City on Rock and Roll!"  ugh.  Starship gets right to the point, don't they.

I want to hit the snooze button very badly, but shudder at thought of being woken up with "We Built This City!" ever again-- much less twice in fifteen minutes.

I listen to the song twice through, snag the CD and take it to the shower with me (I have a shower CD player).  I decide to try and sing-along, but it's too early in the morning to try and remember words to a song you don't like.

rva

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 11:47:42 AM »

8:25 AM:  Feeling Strong

So yeah, this isn't soooo bad.  I'm at my fourth or fifth listen and so far the song's just harmless.  It's not nearly catchy enough to bury itself in your skull, but also not nearly aggressive enough to offend.  Pretty much like all bad 80's pop.

Man, I forgot how processed those guitars are.  If you had choose one song to represent top 40 guitar in the 80's, this would be it.   It's got that the Ibanez thin-coil sound, probably with a harmonizer/enhancer (hair metal) mixed with the percussive arpeggio thing (New Wave).  You can see why they got the soundtrack to Mannequin because that guitar sounds like the guitar on EVERY 80's movie.  Honestly, I think you could use We Built This City as the theme to Top Gun and not really lose a whole lot.

rva

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »

9:15 AM

Marconi plays the mamba?  Wow, Marconi was a bad dude.  That really seems like a waste of a line.  You're not going to rhyme it with "radio" so essentially you've got free license to libel Marconi however you want.  At least come up with something that makes sense.

I find my mind instantaneously making up lyrics whenever the chorus comes around:

Marconi bitch slapped Tesla
Marconi Macaroni
Marconi's raging bile duct
Marconi's broken heart
Marconi's bony scapula
Marconi's two inch penis

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »

I think a greater challenge to your sanity would be having to listen to a 24-hour loop of "Always Forever" by Donna Lewis.  :lol
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up