Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A journey to the brink of madness  (Read 33362 times)

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
A journey to the brink of madness
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »

I will buy a CD for anyone who can survive twelve hours of George Thorogood and the Destroyer's "Bad to the Bone".

rva

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 12:27:49 PM »

A few quickie notes jotted down:

10:30 AM-- It's brass!  No wait, it's strings!  My God, it's BOTH!  Such is the miracle of additive waveform synthesis.  You rock those dual oscillators, Starship keyboard guy.

10:50 AM-- Run!  Run from the giant dice!  Speaking of dice, a friend once related the following story:  In the midst of his unprecedented second "Sigma Nu Couch Potato of the Year" season he sent a similarly study-challenged student to pick up a chemistry exam while he watched "Days of Our Lives," leading to the following exchage:

"How'd you do?"
"T*ts in a window"
"How'd I do?"
"Boxcars."

11:30 AM-- Does anyone have any doubt that had the video come out a few years later, Abraham Lincoln would have done the robot?

12:00-- You know what the problem with this song is?  It's Grace Slick.  Everyone else is playing the sellout pop game to perfection, but Grace Slick still sounds angry and high.  It's less a function of artistic integrity than the fact that she was, in all likelihood, angry and high.  She's trying, but the swishy arm dance just doesn't go with the edge o' doom vox.

12:15-- Anyone remember China Slick Kantner on MTV?   Am I the only one who thought she was hot?

rva

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »

12:37-- Somehow my mind's juke box has melded the lyrics from "We Built This City" to the melody Howard Jones' "No One is to Blame"

We just want to dance here, but someone stole the stage
Call us irresponsible, write us off the page.
We built this, and we built this, we built this city everyone!
We built this, and we built this, we built this city on......*whisper* rock and roll
*keyboard splash*

slow-dog

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »

C'mon RVA, it really is bugging me.....

....does the version you're listening to say "City by the Bay"?  Or "City that Never Sleeps"?  Or something else.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 12:48:52 PM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
4 Non Blonde's "What's Up"

*shudder*

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 12:49:13 PM »

Quote from: "slow-dog"
I will buy a CD for anyone who can survive twelve hours of George Thorogood and the Destroyer's "Bad to the Bone".

True story. After hearing that song on the radio for the first time, my brother was ready to kick George Thorogood's ass. He was eight.

If I had a song that it would be absolute torture to listen to over and over again, that would be it.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 12:54:35 PM »

Quote from: "rva"

12:15-- Anyone remember China Slick Kantner on MTV?   Am I the only one who thought she was hot?

I totally remember China.  Not so much in the hotness dept, but I thought she was cool.  Wonder what she's doing now?  She was a pretty good VJ, too.

Keep on posting...

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 12:59:40 PM »

Quote from: "kcneon"

I totally remember China.  Not so much in the hotness dept, but I thought she was cool.  Wonder what she's doing now?  She was a pretty good VJ, too.

Keep on posting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Kantner

Don't say I never did nothin' for ya. At the very least, I did the bare minimum. ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

rva

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »

1:00--  I am listening to the San Francisco version.  Something's seemed a bit off this whole time and I finally realize that's what it is.  I don't remember what was said in Washington DC, but it was different.   We probably got the NY version.

Apparently there were no less than SIX different versions of this song, for various major media markets.  What happened if you lived in Podunk?  Tough crap.  Rock n' Roll don't build no podunks.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 01:20:50 PM »

I don't think there was a Cincinnati version.

Besides, that would be "We Built This City on Pork and Soap".

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 01:27:37 PM »

I remember China in "The Stoned Age"... a truly hilarious flick with a gnarly eyeball.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

rva

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »

1:25-- We Built this city!  This kick ass city!  What kind of music built this city?!?  rock... and... roll

rva

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 01:41:28 PM »

1:40--Jimmy crack corn and I don't care, Jimmy crack corn and I'm not there, We built this city on rock and rooooll, Something, something, day.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 01:53:08 PM »

Is the room spinning yet, RVA?

Mine is just from reading your entries.

slow-dog

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2006, 01:53:43 PM »

1:00--  I am listening to the San Francisco version.  Something's seemed a bit off this whole time and I finally realize that's what it is.  I don't remember what was said in Washington DC, but it was different.   We probably got the NY version.

Apparently there were no less than SIX different versions of this song, for various major media markets.  What happened if you lived in Podunk?  Tough crap.  Rock n' Roll don't build no podunks.

That just points out the genius of Ludacris, who got all the regional versions into one song.  Of course, how he could not call out the 510 on "Area Codes" is beyond me.  that's just downright disrespectful to the Yay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up