Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Final Harry Potter Book  (Read 16383 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
The Final Harry Potter Book
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:50:37 AM »

Here's a place for us to discuss the final Harry Potter book and post articles.

Here's an interesting article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060801/people_nm/rowling_dc

Don't kill Harry Potter, authors urge Rowling By Claudia Parsons
Tue Aug 1, 1:14 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two of America's top authors, John Irving and Stephen King, made a plea to  J.K. Rowling on Tuesday not to kill the fictional boy wizard Harry Potter in the final book of the series, but Rowling made no promises.

"My fingers are crossed for Harry," Irving said at a joint news conference before a charity reading by the three writers at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

The author of "The World According to Garp" and a string of other bestsellers said he and King felt like "warm-up bands" for Rowling, who is working on the seventh and last book in the Harry Potter series, and who has said two characters will die.

King, who shot to fame in 1974 with "Carrie," said he had confidence that Rowling would be "fair" to her hero.

"I don't want him to go over the Reichenbach Falls," King said in a reference to Arthur Conan Doyle's effort to kill off the character of fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Pressure from fans eventually led Conan Doyle to resurrect Holmes, who was found in a later story to have survived.

Rowling, a Briton whose books have sold 300 million copies worldwide according to her publishers, said she was well into the process of writing the final book.

"I feel quite liberated," she said.

"I can resolve the story now and it's fun in a way it wasn't before because finally I've reached my resolution, and I think some people will loathe it and some people will love it, but that's how it should be."

"We're working toward the end I always planned but a couple of characters I expected to survive have died and one character got a reprieve," she said, declining to elaborate.

Asked about the wisdom of killing off fictional characters, Rowling said she didn't enjoy killing the major character who died in book six -- for the sake of those who haven't read it yet she avoided naming the victim -- but she said the conventions of the genre demanded the hero go on alone.

"I understand why an author would kill a character from the point of view of not allowing others to continue writing after the original author is dead," she added, leaving the door open to the worst fears of some fans -- that Harry could die.

King recalled that when he had a character kick a dog to death in his novel "Dead Zone" he received more letters of complaint than ever, to his surprise.

"You want to be nice and say 'I'm sorry you didn't like that,' but I'm thinking to myself number one, he was a dog not a person, and number two, the dog wasn't even real," he said.

"I made that dog up, it was a fake dog, it was a fictional dog, but people get very, very involved," King said.

Rowling noted that Irving had killed off many more characters than she had.

"When fans accuse me of sadism, which doesn't happen that often, I feel I'm toughening them up to go on and read John and Stephen's books," she said. "I think they've got to be toughened up somehow. It's a cruel literary world out there."
Well.......

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: The Final Harry Potter Book
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »

Quote from: "clemsonfan"
"We're working toward the end I always planned but a couple of characters I expected to survive have died and one character got a reprieve," she said, declining to elaborate.

No doy.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:49:34 AM »

Stephen King is urging her to not kill a character?  Umm... hello Mr. I-had-to-write-a-coda-to-the-dark-tower-series.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.  If Harry dies, he dies.  Harry is an asshole anyway.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 10:03:12 AM »

My fear is that if Harry dies, it'll be in a kind of a "Harry shoots Voldemort, Voldemort shoots Harry at the same time, they both die" sort of way.

And that, my friends, would be cheesy. With a capital cheese.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:17:11 AM »

hmmmm I really hope she doesn't kill off Harry.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »

I think Harry is going to be the final horcrux and will have to die.
Well.......

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:42:02 PM »

I hope Harry is going to be the final horcrux and will have to die.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:34:05 PM »

I hope she kills him.  But I've never read/seen any of the Harry Potter universe, so I say that from the perspective of someone who thought Empire was better than Jedi and even possibly A New Hope.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 01:54:10 PM »

I think the main reason she'd want to kill him off is to prevent people hijacking the character down the line, the way "Scarlett" did to "Gone with the Wind."

I personally don't care if she kills him or not, as long as it fits the story.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 01:51:25 PM »

I think Harry is going to be the final horcrux and will have to die.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 02:31:57 PM »

Honestly, I want her to fuck with everyone and have Voldemort reign supreme over Harry and have it actually be Neville that kills Voldemort in a twist of the "prophecy" but I know that won't happen.

I expect either Ron, Hermonie or Ginny to die. Wouldn't surprise if Hagrid or someone else close to Harry bit the big one unexpectedly.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 11:54:07 AM »

The title to this was just announced... go to jkrowling.com, and click the eraser to play a mini-game to find out for yourself.  Since I didn't care that much, I thought I'd just post it:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:46 PM »

Here's how to play the mini-game (from mugglenet... apparently, I've actually visited mugglenet.  I am ashamed.  I did this for you, Andrea.)

The Do Not Disturb sign has been removed from JK Rowling's official site. Highlight the text below to see how to open the door.

-->Go to JKRowling.com. Click on the eraser on her desk.

1. Click the knob on the open door in the mirror to see the Christmas tree.
2. Click on the top half of the main door to see a wreath.
3. Click on the top of the mirror to reveal garland.
4. They will all go away if you click the spider web next to the mirror.
5. Click on the fourth chime in the window and the key for the door.
6. Drag the key to the door knob to unlock the door.
7. The door opens to reveal a package.
8. When you click the bow, the package will open.
9. Inside is a game of Hangman you can play to guess the title of Book

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:35:56 PM »

I can't seem to drag the key to the door to unlock it.
Well.......

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »

Well, I guess you're SOL.

*cue Price is Right loser music*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up