Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: reassessing...  (Read 6439 times)

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
    • http://www.steelcityvideomix.com
reassessing...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 02:51:48 PM »

Dog Man Star-oh my......adjectives do not do it justice

At the Drive In could have been big as well...
b]I like 99 Rappers,but Jay-Z ain't one-Sage Francis[/b]

i'm just a blog

rva

reassessing...
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 07:57:51 PM »

At the Drive In had a lot of recognition and probably more coming but they broke up too soon.  Great group but I think we need to wait a few years and get some distance before a judgement can be rendered.  Kind of like the hall of fame.

Thing about Suede is they kick-started britpop (good or bad).  Suede was a fine album but it was really Dog Man Star I think where they really came into their own-- the glam vocals, the guitar work, the arty pretentious balanced against the naked ambition to be super pop stars.  Bernard Butler fueding with Brett Anderson.  For better or worse, that's Britpop and I think a lot of that stuff saw its genesis in that album.  

The average person probably knows Metal Mickey and even some latter Suede stuff but for some reason Dog Man Star slipped through the cracks, at least in the US.  After Suede, I think they were poised to be big stars but maybe people weren't prepared for the darkness of Dog Man Star.  Or maybe it got caught between Madchester and Grunge.  I dunno.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up