Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arthur Lee Dies at 61  (Read 1733 times)

thepsychicpoirot

Arthur Lee Dies at 61
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »

More sad news on the musical front today: Arthur Lee, founder of seminal '60s rock group Love, passed away yesterday morning at the age of 61. It was well-known that the influential artist had been fighting acute myeloid leukemia, a type of cancer to the cells found in the blood and bone marrow.

Lee's work with Love is considered by many to be as important as work by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Forever Changes is even cited by some critics as the most important rock album of all-time (despite its poor sales during its time), standing strongly aside albums such as Sgt. Pepper's, Let It Bleed, and Dark Side of the Moon. Syd Barrett even said that Arthur Lee had a profound affect on his material.

Lee led a difficult life, battling drug addiction and often spending time in jail, serving six years at one point in a penitentiary on weapons charges. During the '80s, he took care of his father, who, coincidentally enough, died of cancer. Lee finally began to find some moderate success in 2003, with Love with Arthur Lee. Touring and performing Forever Changes in its entirety, Lee finally got the recognition he truly deserved.

As it is with many great artists, it was more than a little too late. Arthur will be sorely missed for his artistry and his incredible influence in this temperamental thing which is rock music.

posted by chris gliddon at Tiny Mix Tapes

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Arthur Lee Dies at 61
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:32:15 AM »

R.I.P.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

raydoast

Arthur Lee Dies at 61
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

Arthur Lee should have had a prosperous career, but as with many ground breakers he was beaten down by the culture.  He was first in two ways:  Love was the first integrated rock band to be signed to a major label contract and "7 and 7 is" is considered to be the first punk song ever released on a major label.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Re: Arthur Lee Dies at 61
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 03:50:56 PM »

Quote from: "raydoast"
Arthur Lee should have had a prosperous career, but as with many ground breakers he was beaten down by the culture.  He was first in two ways:  Love was the first integrated rock band to be signed to a major label contract and "7 and 7 is" is considered to be the first punk song ever released on a major label.

I agree. Love were such an influence on me during my early teens, and Lee was just exceptionally ahead of his time and influential even then, from what I heard growing up. Didn't he get The Doors their gig with Elektra Records as well?

An aside, welcome to the boards, raydoast.
Am Meer
Pages: [1]   Go Up