Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Email manners  (Read 464 times)

foolsgold

Email manners
« on: August 10, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »

Dear *insert person's name Iíve not responded to in quite some time here*

I've thought about this and reached the following conclusion.  Say you send me an email a month and a half ago.  Conventional manners dictate that I should respond within a 2-3 business day window.  Any longer, well, that is just rude.

But, I challenge that notion.  I'll agree that if I don't respond within those 2-3 days, it is rude...to a point.  

OK, here is how it breaks down:

Days 1-3: Optimal and most socially acceptable timeframe to respond to an email message.

Days 4-31: I'm being a prick.  I've been in work every day, seen that email every day, reminded myself to respond...EVERYDAY.  But, yet I don't.  Social foul.  Massive faux pas.  I'm a dick

Days 32-on: This is where you come into play.  Upon seeing this message in your inbox, you don't think, "Wow, that douchebag has finally condescended to writing back."  Instead, you think, "Wow, that swell guy is writing me.  I haven't heard from him in ages."  Then a wash of goodtime nostalgic feeling will flow over you as you remember all the good times we shared (probably accompanied by Cinderella's "Don't Know What You've Got (ĎTil It's Gone)  playing muted in the background.)  You'll laugh good heartedly when you remember that time we resolved the invoice problem.  Putting both hands behind your head, you'll lean back and smile contentedly as you recall us working together locating that shipment of missing medical ethics titles.  What good times those were.

You'll then lean over your keyboard, position your mouse's cursor over "Reply" and thank me for approving the cost difference between the paper and cloth cover book.

I appreciate your understanding and cooperation with this new procedure and look forward to answering your forthcoming emails in a sentimental, if not timely, manner.

Best regards,
Christian

Doug

Email manners
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:02:36 AM »

All those words and I didn't get a thing.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Email manners
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:41:04 AM »

But did you get an e-mail?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

benway

• Summer Resident
    • http://www.benway.com
Email manners
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:10:50 PM »

I'll reply to that in about 31 days... :ninja:
Exterminate all rational thought" -bill lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up