Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you rather ...  (Read 1687 times)

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
Would you rather ...
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »

Would you rather have a job in which ...

1. you have a terrific rapport with your coworkers but a difficult time getting along with your boss, who you don't trust;

or

2. you have a fantastic boss who you trust and respect but you pretty much can't stand the majority of your coworkers?

Both options pay the same with the same benefits.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »

Option 2

Your co-workers can't fire you. A lying, backstabbing boss can.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Would you rather ...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »

I'd take 2, as well.
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »

Hmmm...I'd take number 1 for a while, and then switch to number 2 if I saw a lonnngg term future and/or was worried about the lying, backstabbing boss.

I suppose I'd rather be social with my coworkers and enjoy hating my boss with them.

dirk

• City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:17:23 PM »

Well, I have to go with number 1, because that is the situation I am in now.  I absolutely hate my boss, but I love my coworkers.

You're coworkers can throw you under the bus just as easily as your boss can.  At least with a crappy boss you can hopefully impress his boss and give yourself some backup.  And you're coworkers can act as backup as well.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Hell Toupee

Would you rather ...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:11:54 AM »

In either case, I'm wading in #2.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 08:10:55 AM »

Depends on how often I'd see the boss.

Doug

Would you rather ...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 08:39:47 AM »

I used to have option 3, where I had a good rapport with everybody.  Now I have a different boss and I find myself in option 1 by default.  I mean seriously, the guy just called me to do a "hard target search" for a powerstrip.  How can you like someone like that?

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »

I'd go for #2, partly because that's my current situation. My co-workers are suspicious of me mainly because I'm the one who double checks their work before it goes onto the corporate level. They're not outright hostile, more like high schoolers dealing with a substitute teacher. But, having a great boss helps a lot--esp. if you feel like you can go to them with any frustrations, complaints, etc. Then, even though your co-workers might try to throw you under the bus, your boss might not believe them.

Which ever option you choose, make sure anything official is in writing (requests for documents, etc.) and save their replies, that way if they (boss or co-workers) try to throw you under the bus you'll have evidence to support your position.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 09:00:53 AM »

Quote from: "cuddlyevil"
But, having a great boss helps a lot--esp. if you feel like you can go to them with any frustrations, complaints, etc. Then, even though your co-workers might try to throw you under the bus, your boss might not believe them.

Exactly.

Here's the thing. I don't particularly feel the need to be all buddy-buddy with my co-workers. Which is not to say that I wouldn't be friendly with them, but if they don't want to hang out with me and be all pals-y, that's fine with me. I'm around them enough during the day. I don't need to necessarily spend any more time with them. If I have a good rapport with my co-workers, it's a bonus, not a necessity.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 03:53:59 PM »

#1 for me.  I don't spend my day with my boss. I spend it with my coworkers.  And considering "cunt" is the most frequently uttered word in my (shared) office, I wouldn't have it any other way!  Nightmare bosses can be handled if you have a good coworker support system.  If you have a great boss and sucky coworkers, you can't always whine to your boss.  That would get old...and bad quickly.

slow-dog

• City Elder
    • http://www.slow-dog.com/
Would you rather ...
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 04:43:40 PM »

Quote from: "Doug"
I used to have option 3, where I had a good rapport with everybody.  Now I have a different boss and I find myself in option 1 by default.  I mean seriously, the guy just called me to do a "hard target search" for a powerstrip.  How can you like someone like that?

Awesome!  You should up the ante with the military lingo.  If it were me, I would start saying "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"  at the beginning of meetings.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 04:50:17 PM »

Don't forget: "Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down."

Bonus points if your douchebag boss is actually from Texas.

slow-dog

• City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 04:52:20 PM »

Or, to a coworker:

"How tall are you?"
"I didn't know they stacked s**t that high."

Full Metal Jacket is awesome--the first half anyway.

slow-dog

• City Elder
Would you rather ...
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 04:56:06 PM »

I forgot this one:

"I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo. "
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up