Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Donut's 20th Anniversary Party and CD Release Show  (Read 1722 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Alice Donut's 20th Anniversary Party and CD Release Show
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

At the Knitting Factory, NYC

Saturday, October 21, 2006  //  SHOW 10:30 PM  //

http://www.alicedonut.com/

The legendary Alice Donut, now in its 20th year, has just completed its 9th full length release, Fuzz. Since 1987, Alice Donut has been making an eclectic, hard-to-define tripped out mixture of hard rock, punk, grunge, pop and post-punk, often punctuated with brass, banjos, washboards and the occasional abused household appliance. Alice Donut's melodic, guitar-heavy, odd-metered yet deeply grooved takes on the perversities, odd details, petty humiliations and sick joys of life have created a long term loyal following among indie music die-hards, industry insiders and misfit punk rockers. They've been cited as an influence by everyone from Broadway composers to performance artists, from fringe noise bangers to today's front-and-center bands.

Between 1987 and 1996, Alice Donut released seven full length albums on Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles label, and 15 or so singles, EP's and odd releases through various others. The band toured relentlessly, and then, after their 1000th live performance, decided to take a break to pursue other projects.

2004's Three Sisters, Alice Donut's first release after its hiatus, was recorded by the band as a four-piece (Tom Antona on vocals, Michael Jung on guitar, Stephen Moses on drums and Sissi Schulmeister on bass) before the band's complete reassembling for Fuzz when guitarist Dave Giffen (who also runs Howler Records), stepped back in on guitar. Fuzz, recorded in Brooklyn's famed BC Studio with longtime co-producer Martin Bisi, will be released in September 2006.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:54:20 AM »

Dude, I was going through an old box of photos recently and discovered that I saw Alice Donut at an Alternative Tentacles showcase during the 1988 New Music Seminar. I think it was held at either the Pyramid Club or the Knitting Factory (as those are the only two venues I can remember visiting).

Thank goodness for photos because the drugs done zapped away the memories.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »

Dude, that's kickass.  Of course, I saw them a bit more recently and bit more drug free, but even I barely remember the show much.  Soooo....whatever that means.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »

I wish I could remember the show....
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up