Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salem's Lot remake sunday 6/18  (Read 1883 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
Salem's Lot remake sunday 6/18
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:31:58 AM »

Yep, in case you didn't hear, TNT decided it was high-time for a remake.  

Part 1 airs this Sunday Night from 8-10 (and again from 10-12 and 12-2 and so on and so forth)

Part 2 airs Monday from 8-10

TNT is showing scary movies all weekend to promote it, so check the listings to see if there's anything you want to catch.

Official Site

We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:39:26 AM »

Did anybody else see it?
-Ed Helms

Doug

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:50:20 AM »

Nope...Michelle's been working nights and so I'm home with Isaac.  It's not the kind of show I can watch with my kid around.  Like I said over at WOXY, TNT will re-run it a million times, so I'll catch it later.  That is, if it's worth it.  What did you think?

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 08:56:11 AM »

Yeah, how was it compared to other SK miniseries?

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:41:41 AM »

If you're a big fan of the book you might not like it.  It changed a LOT presumeably for the sake of only being a 4 hour miniseries.  

I think they would have been better served to make it a 6 hour thing.  It took so much time to set up, but then hurried through the last 40 minutes to get everything accomplished.  

I was going to say that the acting was good, but...well...  It was okay, but not great.  There just wasn't enough time to develop.  Rob Lowe gets the most face time, but he doesn't come off as strongly as Ben does in the book.  None of the characters do.  There's too much done in too little time.

I thought it was kind of cool that Donald SOutherland was the shopkeeper of the antiques store, especially since he's the shop keeper in Needful Things.  I *loved* how the one dog was named Cujo.  Just a couple of winks to the SK fans I suppose.  

Overall the special effects are on the high end of the TV movie special effects scale.  

Stuff (mostly complaints)
    The Doctor (Jimmy) having the affair with the trailer trash girl.  WTF?  Jimmy was one of the very few totally pure characters in any Stephen King book.  I cannot believe they did that just to include the cheating spouse storyline.  If they wanted that they should have left in the original thing from the book.  The bribery/set up thing made even less sense and only served to pollute the story.

I don't like how they showed Father Callahan as being the human who became Barlow's servant.  What the hell was that about?  I'm not crazy, right?  In the book it just sort of leaves it up to you as to what happened.  It's not until Wolves of the Calla that we find out what happened.  So why the fuck did they show that stuff?   ESPECIALLY him leading the mob of vampires.  It made no sense.

Was Crockett molesting his daughter in the book?  I didn't remember that, but I might have just glossed over it.  It seemed unnecessary to me in the movie.  

I actually liked what they did with the sheriff.  In the book he came off as more of a dickface.  The way they did it in the movie was nice though.

I don't get why Sue went to Ben at the house and told him that information.  Hello, she's an evil vampire with crimped hair now, why the hell would she care to tell him that stuff.  Also, what the fuck was up with that stuff in the frist place?  It's been awhile since I read the book, but was that about him finding those people in there?  I thought he just thought/actually did see a ghost when he went into the house to touch the doorknob of the bedroom.  

I hated the ending (and subsequently the very beginning).  It made no sense.  NONE.
[/spoiler]
-Ed Helms

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 11:39:52 AM »

Rob Lowe pleased to do King adaptation
Saturday, June 19

Hollywood actor Rob Lowe says he feels honored to have starred in film adaptations of two Stephen King's novels. Lowe starred in the popular TV miniseries The Stand a decade ago and plays a hero in the new two-part vampire tale, Salem's Lot, premiering Sunday on cable's TNT. I think that these are the two best film adaptations of his books and I think these are two of the best books he wrote: 'The Stand,' 'Salem's Lot' and 'The Shining,' Lowe said. And 'The Shining' was already done, so I think I may have to retire while I'm still on top. Asked why he thinks it was necessary to remake the 1979 TV version of Salem's Lot, Lowe said: Technology is definitely a big part ... If you go back and look at the original, it's cheesy, with 1970s effects. But more than that, for me, this is a book that is dark and unsettling and provocative, and dark and unsettling and provocative are not the watchwords that come to mind when you think of programming on television in 1979.

Copyright 2004 by United Press International
-Ed Helms
Pages: [1]   Go Up