Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Artists?  (Read 15030 times)

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 11:33:49 PM »

Daniel! You're on Randomville! Excellent!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »

Who's Dalhi? Is that someone I don't know, or a typo?

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 10:51:06 PM »

I assume he means Salvador Dali.

rva

Favorite Artists?
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »

I'm a big fan of photorealism, but it's depressing as shit.  Also, I think it's kind a gimmicky form of art for visually impaired people like myself who are all like "woah, it looks like a photo!!"

I dig Gottfried Helnwein.  He did this:

But you may know him as this guy:

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:11:46 PM »

I'm a fan of Rothko, Chuck Close, Agustus Tack, and Alexander Calder.
Jim Dine is my hero.

Joseph Cornell and Louise Nevelson are two other sculptors I really enjoy.
Helen Frankenthaler reminds me of Pollack, but more minimalist.

I worked in an art museum and was totally spoiled then the pieces hung in our offices were Warhols, etc.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 07:52:32 AM »

You know, of all the people mentioned in this thread, the only two I've ever heard of are Pollock and Dali.

I'm not exactly what you'd call an "art guy".
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

rva

Favorite Artists?
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 02:48:52 PM »

You know Edward Hopper, you just don't know you do.  He did this:

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »

If we're talking photographers, I absolutely love love love Thomas Struth.
He takes some really cool photos of people looking at art, as well as doing these amazing, naturalistic family portraits that vividly convey everyone's personalities.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 04:43:30 PM »

Quote from: "rva"
You know Edward Hopper, you just don't know you do.  He did this:

That picture, I've seen (although I don't know the name). Hopper, I'd never heard of (or at least not remembered) and I'll probably forget again within the hour.

Just not an art guy. Maybe it's because I have absolutely zero (if not less than zero) art ability myself, so while I respect any art (even Dogs Playing Poker) because it's far and away better than anything I could ever paint or draw, I just can't really appreciate it because I have no baseline of personal experience on which to draw.

It's like with sport. I can play soccer, although nowhere near as good as Ronaldinho. So when I see his jaw-dropping abilities on the pitch, I damn sure appreciate them.

Actually, as I think of it, there's something to that, because that "abstract art" bullshit like a canvas painted solid black or two squares and a circle get on my nerves, because I damn sure can do that crap.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

watusi

Favorite Artists?
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »

not quite "dogs playing poker", but close

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 08:50:57 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
Actually, as I think of it, there's something to that, because that "abstract art" bullshit like a canvas painted solid black or two squares and a circle get on my nerves, because I damn sure can do that crap.

That would be VA's Rothko, but his workis much more impressive in person.

You might know Calder:

or
also known as rcc94

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »

Nope. Never seen those.

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »

I dig Rodney Graham, though he's more a photog/visual artist in film and media. We saw an exhibit of his two years ago at the Vancouver Art Museum and I was hooked.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Favorite Artists?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 11:34:51 PM »

Jonathan wrote:Actually, as I think of it, there's something to that, because that "abstract art" bullshit like a canvas painted solid black or two squares and a circle get on my nerves, because I damn sure can do that crap.

Yeah, Rothko is like that, but then when you get a mere 2-3 inches away from the canvas it becomes a landscape, and it's (to me) incredible.

Lots of people DO feel that way about abstract and modern art, and I did to until I spent a year in an art museum. The modern stuff is all a reaction to what came before, which is a reaction to the style before that. Basically the Monet of waterlilies, bridges, and sunsets, the staple of aprons, notecards, and dentist's offices was, in his day, held in the same esteem that the "two squares and a circle" type pieces hold for you. He was pretty well despised by the art establishment because he basically has blobs of color on the canvas without real definition. (thus endeth the lecture!)

The art I'm most comfortable with, though, is folk art, because anyone can do it.

Andrews

• Citizen
  • Elitist Jerk
    • Social Tool
Re: Favorite Artists?
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up