Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strut your stuff!  (Read 7936 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
Re: Strut your stuff!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »

It was truly memorable. I've been savoring the inner beauty and meaning of that piece for years. It's given me insight and feeling for the world around me. It's helped me get through those dark and dreary days. It provided hope. Possibility. Potential. It felt like the true American dream of rising up from what I am today and transforming myself into something greater, stronger, and more successful. Without it I'm not sure I would know where to go ... with my life, with my future, or even to lunch. It's my guiding light.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »

It was truly memorable. I've been savoring the inner beauty and meaning of that piece for years. It's given me insight and feeling for the world around me. It's helped me get through those dark and dreary days. It provided hope. Possibility. Potential. It felt like the true American dream of rising up from what I am today and transforming myself into something greater, stronger, and more successful. Without it I'm not sure I would know where to go ... with my life, with my future, or even to lunch. It's my guiding light.
x2
werd. :)

(But now I really want to know what it was!)

REMgirl

• Summer Resident
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »

I'd like to revive this art thread. I make wool hooked art rugs. They're not the latch hook yarn rugs from years ago, these are original designs drawn on linen and hooked in loops with strips of dyed wool. I show them at Gallery 510 in the Oregon District in Dayton, and I make commissioned pieces, too.

This is a piece I hooked last year. It has won awards in two national rug hooking shows.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »

That's splendid. Good work!
Am Meer

REMgirl

• Summer Resident
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »

Thanks, Rafe! :)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »

Wow, that's amazing REMg!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »

Wow that's amazing. And yes - keep on strutting your stuff. I guess that's what this thread is for. I haven't much to strut, but if I come across something I'll post it.

REMgirl

• Summer Resident
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »

Thanks!

This was a Christmas commission from last year:

Her name is Eleanor, of course. My car mechanic's granddaughter. Very fun rug to make!

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »

that's amazing
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »

Those are amazing. The detail is incredible. I hadn't seen these pieces before. I think I need to go and check out this gallery next time I am in Dayton. :)
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

REMgirl

• Summer Resident
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »

Well, these aren't at the Gallery now. The black and white piece was a commission, so I assume it's hanging in someone's house.  :)

The Native American Boy rug is rolled up here at home. I just got it back from a show in Vermont. I have sold or done a lot of rugs as commissions, so all I have left are photos. I do like to keep some of my best work for myself, as I am now teaching here and there across the country, and nothing conveys good work like seeing it in person.

Thanks for the nice comments! There are a couple of rugs at Gallery 510, and I may add some before Christmas.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

Ah, yes, so glad to see these pics again!
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »

gorgeous! I'll have some things to post post-Christmas, since someone here on the boards (ahem, Ella) is getting one of them! I'll just have to figure out how to post a picture...

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »

When I was in Freshman Studio in college, we started with the most basic assignments in their attempt to teach us design. The first ones were "take a board of x by y dimensions, and then use a circles, b rectangles, c strips etc and arrange them into something interesting, so long as it's not symmetrical." Or something like that. I don't remember the exact assignment of this one, but it was always my favorite. Something about my choice of colors, and how they work well in my eye together, as well as placement on the board, and a few other things.  It's not much, but I don't care - I always liked it.

It's a completely black board. You have to remember that in 1999 we didn't have much method for digitizing these things, so I think it was a low-res camera in a non-quite-photo-quality studio. Oh well.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up