Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Golf tips?  (Read 2064 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
Golf tips?
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:15:50 AM »

We're having a Golf Outing for my department tomorrow.

I've NEVER been golfing.  I'm not even any good at Putt-putt.

Anybody have any suggestions?
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Golf tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 09:16:30 AM »

Knees bent, head down....

Pray.

Boogieman

• Citizen
Golf tips?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 09:27:14 AM »

I would suggest going to the driving range.  spend 5 bucks on a bucket o balls and smack em around for a little while.  its difficult to point you in a direction.. I think the sport is really difficult to get the swing of.  For me i play a little better when i'm not trying to hit it as hard as I can..  let the club do the work.... It may be time to rent Caddy shack and listen to Chevy's advise....
Nah nah nah nah nah...........

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Golf tips?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 09:31:01 AM »

That's good actually.  If you can go to a driving range tonight and attempt to hit a bucket, that would help you at least get familiar with how to hit the ball.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Golf tips?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:52:14 AM »

Quote from: "Boogieman"
For me i play a little better when i'm not trying to hit it as hard as I can..  let the club do the work

Exactly. My dad once told me about an article he read in Golf Digest when he was a teenager. The headline was "Swing easy, hit hard" - that just about sums it up. I find that a nice, smooth easy swing from a relaxed stance gives you the best results. If I try to kill it, I end up coming up on the ball and topping it. Stay relaxed...once you tighten up, you lose control.

Oh, and keep your left arm straight...assuming you swing right-handed.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

foolsgold

Golf tips?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 10:07:07 AM »

Watch Caddyshack.  That'll tell you everything you need to know about golf.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Golf tips?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 03:11:15 PM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
Watch Caddyshack.  That'll tell you everything you need to know about golf.

And singing gophers.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Doug

Golf tips?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 03:12:39 PM »

Just drink a lot.  Then you'll have an excuse to suck.  Works for me.

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
Golf tips?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 03:17:47 PM »

Get everyone drunk so they'll forget you can't play, or offer to drive the cart. :)

But seriously, it's all in the grip. My high school golf coach* taught me a simple grip skill and it's pretty good. Put your hands together as if you're praying and then lower them like that onto the club. Intertwine your fingers and position your hands so that your thumbs are pointing towards the ground, in line with the club's head.

Stand straight, with your legs about 8-10 inches apart. When you go to swing, bring the club back, without bending your elbows at first. When you get to 3 o'clock, bend your elbows and go with the swing. Keep your eye on the ball. Don't lift up your head when you swing! Keep looking down until the full swing is executed. Good luck!

* I was on the high school golf team (8 boys and 1 girl!). When I started, I had never picked up a club or new any rules...just decided to do it on a whim. I ended up having a lot of fun and got better as the years went on.
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Golf tips?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 09:17:47 PM »

I just went to the driving range for my first time on Monday night.  It felt alien and bizarre.  I did OK.  But I came to the conclusion that it is difficult to swing a club effectively if you are a woman with a large chest.

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
Golf tips?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 09:56:31 PM »

Practice and you'll overcome the large chest obstacle. When I played in HS, I was a DD (still a D-cup now). Developing your swing style includes overcoming any physical attributes that may make it difficult. :)
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
Golf tips?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 11:47:56 PM »

I hate to see shrinking boobies.

Oh... golf tip.  Learn to laugh and have a good time.  Golfing should be fun and relaxing.  I've learned the phrase "I'm just getting my money's worth!" is a great one.

"I hit the ball  7 times... you hit the ball 2 times?  Oh... that sucks.  I'm a VALUE golfer.  I get my swings at a DISCOUNT price.  You paid $30 to hit the ball 75 times.  I paid $30 to hit it 110 times!"
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
Golf tips?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 11:48:45 PM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
it is difficult to swing a club effectively if you are a woman with a large chest.

yet FUN to watch...
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Juliana

• City Elder
Golf tips?
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 09:24:49 AM »

I had so much fun!
We were over at Yankee Trace in Centerville and the course was so pretty.

On my team there were two guys who were pretty good/semi-regular golfers, and me and another girl who had never golfed ever.  The guy were awesome with us.  They let us use their clubs and were telling us the differences between them and how we should pick which clubs and everything.  They were very positive too.  Stuff like "oh, awesome, you hit the ball so straight!" and junk.  

I wasn't great, but I guess I was okay.  We played Best Ball, and used one or two of my shots to go off of.  I ended up being a pretty good putter, which is weird, because like I said before, I sort of suck at putt-putt.  I wasn't good at teeing off.  Out of the 9 holes I only hit like 3 okay shots from the tee.  I kept cutting my right wrist with my left thumbnail when I would swing.  I don't have long fingernails or anything, but I guess I was swinging wrong or something.    I think the boob thing kind of made a difference too.  

Overall we were 4 over par (not sure what par actually was though), and near the top of all the teams who played.  It was a very good time and I can see the appeal of going once in awhile or hitting a bucket of balls.

Thanks for all the help
:ninja:  pretend ninja is wearing kinckers and a funny hat
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms
Pages: [1]   Go Up