Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 5381 times)

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
Fahrenheit 9/11
« on: June 26, 2004, 05:20:16 PM »

I decided last night to check out the film. Luckily, the AFI Silver had several showings because most of them were sold out as of last night. But I got a ticket for the 12:30pm show online and saw it today.

There was a long line and the theatre was packed. I think just about every demographic was represented. Though the film is basically preaching to the choir, it was really good. Moore isn't physically in the film as much as he was in Columbine. He definitely did his homework on finding out a lot of information to compile the documentary. Within the span of 2 hours, I laughed, cried, clapped and was angry. Just a head's up, the film does include some graphic scenes from Iraq, including the charred bodies of the contractors killed in Fallujah and other deaths. But I didn't flinch because I knew I had to see it. There was a pregnant woman and her hubby in front of me and he kept shielding her eyes.

Where I live, it's pretty Democratic/left-leaning, so when a soldier injured in Iraq who was recovering at Walter Reed (which is not far from the AFI) said he was going to do everything he could to support the Dems, people clapped and cheered. It made for quite the film experience.

I'm not sure if the film will change the minds of people sitting on the fence about the November election, but it may strengthen the resolve of those who have already made up their minds.
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 12:40:41 AM »

Preaching to the choir, definitely.  Though if it only gets people on opposite sides of the fence talking, the film will be a success.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

AngelV

• City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 01:06:16 AM »

So far, the box office totals for the film are amazing. It's showing on less than 900 screens nationwide and made an estimated $8.2 million on Friday alone. The controversies surrounding the film are definitely helping, similar to the situation when The Passion of the Christ was released.
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

RedRigmaJacket

• Summer Resident
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 06:46:24 PM »

its funny, one of my all time pet peeves is when people clap during/after a movie...think about how the filmmaker cant hear you, etc...but there i was clapping during/after the movie.  never done that before...
anished to Randomville.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 07:22:23 PM »

Quote from: "RedRigmaJacket"
its funny, one of my all time pet peeves is when people clap during/after a movie...think about how the filmmaker cant hear you, etc.

I feel the same way. It does seem rather pointless to clap at a movie. I can understand doing it at a premiere, where people involved in the movie are quite possibly in attendance, but the odds of that happening on a weeknight at your local theater are slim at best. ;)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

AngelV

• City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 07:32:02 PM »

A friend of mine saw the film earlier today and reported that, "There was a guy in front of the theatre taking pictures. He was wearing a shirt that said 'Jesus votes Republican.' Is that supposed to be an insult to Jesus or to Democrats?"

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 08:36:40 AM »

CR and I saw the movie this weekend too. The film didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, but it was still a very powerful film. Apparently there will be a "town meeting" tonight on the internet about it. As we filed out of the theatre someone gave us a flier about it.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 09:29:24 AM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
The film didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, but it was still a very powerful film.  

I saw it Friday night as well (Newport on the Levee, at one of 3 sold out showings at 9:45).  It was a very good film, but it was definitely preaching to the choir.  I liked the part about the marine recruiters trying to get poor kids in Flint to enlist.  Telling one guy with hoop dreams that "David Robinson was in the Navy."  Um, yeah, he went to the NAVAL ACADEMY.  That's a totally different world than signing up to be cannon fodder.

AngelV

• City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »

Yeah, or the one guy where they said, "Give us your name so we can cross you off our list noting that we talked to you."  :roll:

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 10:40:14 AM »

Quote from: "AngelV"
Yeah, or the one guy where they said, "Give us your name so we can cross you off our list noting that we talked to you."  :roll:

Yeah, that was pretty low.  Those recruiters are relentless.  My younger brother graduated from high school in 2000, after I'd finished my junior year of college.  The recruiters called him constantly (especially because he was considering the military and had gone and talked to them several times), and one time I answered the phone when he wasn't home, and the recruiter had the audacity to try his sales pitch on me.  I explained to him that I had one year left of college, and he could take his GI Bill and stick it where the sun didn't shine because I wasn't signing up for four more years of anything.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 10:48:38 AM »

I remember a recruiter called my house when I was about two months away from high school graduation. He asked my plans and I told him I'd been accepted to several universities and he still tried to get me to join up and have my schooling paid for.  :roll:

He called back several times throughout my first year of college until I screamed at him to stop harrassing me and to never call again. Bastard.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 11:03:46 AM »

I was never recruited. I guess my reputation as a smart-ass preceded me.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 12:58:25 PM »

Hell, I signed up to join the Army right out of high school, but bailed at the last minute. I was about to start basic in a few days when I chickened out. I don't regret it, seeing as we went to war two years later, which would've fallen during my tour of duty. No, thanks.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 01:16:29 PM »

Hey, did anyone else notice a police presence where you saw the film? CR and I noticed police inside the cinema complex (although not in the actual theatre) and also outside. We kinda thought it was just because it was a Friday night and there were lots of highschool aged people there, but then I found out on another message board that there have been police at showings in other cities too.

AngelV

• City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 01:22:30 PM »

Didn't notice any police when I saw it Saturday afternoon. No protestors, either.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up