Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 5297 times)

Doug

Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 01:26:13 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Hell, I signed up to join the Army right out of high school, but bailed at the last minute. I was about to start basic in a few days when I chickened out. I don't regret it, seeing as we went to war two years later, which would've fallen during my tour of duty. No, thanks.

I did the exact same thing.  My dad said "Son, you're fuckin' high".  I was all sworn in and had a ship date.  I bailed too.  My uncle is a doctor and wrote me a note to get out.   My recruiter took me to Cincy to visit the Chief Surgeon or whatever and he left me there at 17 without a ride home.  Bastard.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 11:01:02 PM »

Went and saw it tonight. Walked out with the same opinion on Moore and his work as I went in: I agree with a lot of his opinions, but definately not all. And I think he drags some issues out too far.

Great film though. I liked Columbine better b/c it showed more from the other side, and wasn't a one way attack. I learned a lot in this film that pissed me off. I'm sure that not everything was legit as far as facts go, but I understood his points at all times.

The scenes with the lady who lost her son were a little too dramatic and overplayed, I thought. Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible for her and families alike, but those scenes were a little much.

JR
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »

Quote from: "JohnnyRoyale"
The scenes with the lady who lost her son were a little too dramatic and overplayed, I thought. Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible for her and families alike, but those scenes were a little much.

I thought the same thing.

I saw it at 10pm on Tuesday and it was sold out!  I was kind of suprised.  Overall, I liked it.  Like many other people have said there wasn't much that I hadn't heard about before.  The James Bath connection was something new to me.  I did like Farhenheit 9/11 a bit better than Columbine.

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »

Quote from: "JohnnyRoyale"

JR

I disagree. I think for many folks, it's convenient mentally to think "600+" have been killed and store it away in their minds...but to actually see what the families face after losing a loved one isn't shown enough. It's a difficult line between empathy and exploitation, but I think Moore didn't cross it. However, I do think the scene showing the happy Iraqis before the U.S.-led invasion was a bit much.
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

thepsychicpoirot

Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 12:32:17 PM »

Quote from: "MissKitty"
Hey, did anyone else notice a police presence where you saw the film? CR and I noticed police inside the cinema complex (although not in the actual theatre) and also outside. We kinda thought it was just because it was a Friday night and there were lots of highschool aged people there, but then I found out on another message board that there have been police at showings in other cities too.
I saw it at Rave Saturday night by myself and only saw one police cruiser outside.  I was there about an hour early and walked around the new, hip little "mall" next to the theatre and didn't see another cop there, before or after the movie.  Probably just the usual weekend rent-a-cops.

As far as the movie goes, I found myself shaking my head a lot, either in agreement or disbelief.  Most of the news footage is nothing we haven't seen before.  I think he made a convincing arguement and raised a lot of questions about the connection between the Bush's, Saudi's and Bin Ladens.  Although the Bush's and Republicans will never see the movie and try to prove him wrong, I'd like for them to try.  The court of public opinion will judge him in November I guess.  I could've done without him reciting the Patriot Act from an ice cream truck.  Rangel's quote about never reading any of the Bills was powerful enough.  The ice cream truck stunt obviously had no impact.  Neither did trying to get Congressmen/Senators to enlist their kids.  It would've been better if he would have gone straight to the kids for their opinions on the war and serving in the military.  Or he could have searched for the Ron Reagan J.-types for their dissenting opinions.

Either way, I'm in the choir on this one.  He didn't change my mind, he only strengthened my opinion.  I can't wait for the 9/11 Commission's report to be released.

TheShed

• Summer Resident
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 03:33:53 PM »

I had the pleasure of sitting behind a woman who felt the need to say "oh my god," or "OH MY GOD" at EVERYTHING that happened in the film. Occasionally, she would lift her leg up, above the seat in front of her, and sort of wave her foot back and forth, as if stretching out her ankle, or possibly just admiring her own shoes. She definitely contributed to the anger I felt after leaving the theater.
I already knew a lot about the facts Moore talked about in the film. What really disturbed me was the attitude of some of the young army guys. Listening to specific music to get pumped up to kill? Some of those comments were just really sad.

postfeminist

• Tourist
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/rivkah_rut/
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2004, 08:36:15 PM »

just adding my 2 cents...

i'm the choir too.  i'm not the biggest moore fan because i recognize that he manipulates some of the info, but i think it's really important that some folks get even some of the info.  and i think that stuff like this contributes to conversations between people who might not ordinarily have them.

i am trying to decide whether i will try to get my parents to go see it.  they're not very open minded. :(
i]should i, after teas and cakes and ices,
have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?[/i]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up