Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's legal to pay players in the NBA  (Read 2986 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
It's legal to pay players in the NBA
« on: July 02, 2004, 09:20:29 AM »

So, everyone hear the Coach K to the Lakers rumors?

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

I say it's 50/50, but I ultimately think he'll return to Duke.  Why would you leave?

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 10:16:32 AM »

I just can't see it happening. Like K himself said (back in '91), if he was ever going to leave for the NBA, it would have been in then when he was rumored to be going to the Celtics.

It's going to be weird enough to see Mike Montgomery on an NBA sideline next year (and that's going to be a fiasco). I don't think I could handle Krzyzewski, too.

Still, it was fun to torment the lone Dukie in our group last night.  :twisted:
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 12:24:17 PM »

I think he'd go if all the Lakers were returning, but the way it looks, Spudd Webb might be coming out of retirement to play for them, just so they can fill their roster. I think he'll stay at Duke.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
    • http://www.steelcityvideomix.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 12:25:51 PM »

f'n heck...hard 2 believe
b]I like 99 Rappers,but Jay-Z ain't one-Sage Francis[/b]

i'm just a blog

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:44:44 PM »

Quote from: "JohnnyRoyale"
I think he'd go if all the Lakers were returning, but the way it looks, Spudd Webb might be coming out of retirement to play for them, just so they can fill their roster. I think he'll stay at Duke.

On one hand, I can't see him going to the Lakers if they're going to go ahead and trade the team MVP. But on the other hand, I can't see him going to the Lakers if the Shaq and Kobe dysfunctional relationship doesn't get resolved. So I just don't see him going to the Lakers.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 01:45:09 PM »

One of the guys here at work said he heard Coach K was getting discouraged by so many h.s. kids going directly into the pros.  Anyone hear this or is that pure speculation (which is what it sounds like)?  How do you honestly think he'd do in the pros?  

Wonder how he would have dealt with someone like Iverson?   :wink:

Boogieman

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 03:04:43 PM »

Damn it.  I had a long ass post all type out and f*cked it all up.  But basically...

He has a really tough decision to make.  He already has won 3 National Titles whats next...

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 03:26:56 PM »

I don't think the Lakers are going to deal Shaq, despite his cries of protest.  With Nash signing to Phoenix and the refusal to trade Nowitzki, the Mavericks have absolutely nothing to offer, even with a third team involved.  That was the Lakers best shot to get close to similar value.  I think the Lakers are going to sign Kobe, too.

I've posted this elsewhere, but college success bears no relevance to the kind you'll have in the professional ranks.  Take Rick Pitino, a man who was an excellent coach at Kentucky (and almost as loved as Coach K), who went to Boston and went quite insane with his newfound power (The coach and GM all rolled into one).  The Celtics still haven't recovered from that disaster.  

Or think of it this way: Coach K is probably the most recognizable college coach in America, with the exception of Bobby Knight.  He can quite literally pick the terms of any job he wants if he decides to leave Duke.  Why then would he leave for L.A. when Shaq wants out, Karl Malone has apparently retired, and Kobe Bryant might sign elsewhere?  This is a team in disarray right now, and none of their problems will be resolved by the time Coach K makes his decision Monday.  Horrible move if he decides to go.  He'd probably have better success being the coach and GM of the expansion Bobcats.  That way, he doesn't have to leave home, too.  =)
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 11:42:27 AM »

I'm with you on the Pitino thing.  But aside from several key players leaving the Lakers (more than likely), that's exactly the type of team I can only see Coach K leave college to coach.  It's got to be an exclusive team.  I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him go to an expansion team.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

Looks like ESPN is reporting that Krzyzewski isn't going anywhere. Can't say that I'm surprised, although it was fun speculating who the new Duke coach would have been.

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
    • http://www.steelcityvideomix.com
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 03:30:02 PM »

coach K is a god in Durham...why setttle for the anguish in Tinseltown when you can settle for godlike status in Durham?
b]I like 99 Rappers,but Jay-Z ain't one-Sage Francis[/b]

i'm just a blog

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »

Oooh! I can answer this one!

Because it's Durham.

If you've ever been to Durham, you know what I'm talking about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up