Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soccer news and rumours  (Read 11463 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2006, 12:55:24 PM »

Nope. Colorado is building a new soccer-specific stadium. Kansas City, on the other hand, is about to become homeless as voters approved a bond measure for improvements to Arrowhead Stadium. Improvements that will take place after the Chiefs' season this year.

Plus, Kansas City is on life-support, anyway. They almost moved last season along with San Jose. They're toast.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »

Well done Liverpool! They were fucking lucky, though. I'm not too partial to the Irons, but in the 90 minutes of normal time, they deserved to win. Despite that, what a great match.
Am Meer

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

It was a good match. Ordinarily, I might have been pulling for West Ham myself, but as I was watching with my Scouser friend Jeff, i had to root for the 'Pool. So I was happy to see them victorious.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2006, 01:45:42 PM »

Yes, unbelievably, I was also rooting for Liverpool to do it. I did think that the Irons played brilliantly and took the edge off Liverpool, though. West Ham fucking hate spurs, and I'm sure there are some Tottenham fans that reciprocate in kind, but as a fan of the jewellers, I think Pardew's team probably deserved to win it. Then again, they were playing against Gerrard. He was pretty classy today.
Am Meer

noonan

Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »

Oy, this really stings. I'll take cup runner up over clawing out of the Fizzy Pop League(tm) any day though.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2006, 04:22:45 PM »

Ballack signs with Chelsea... does this mean that Lampard will soon be moving on?

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »

Nope.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »

Here's a fun little rumor that I posted because it involves so many teams that people on these boards support:

Tottenham have opened the door for Jermain Defoe to go to Liverpool as they eye Chelsea pair Shaun Wright-Phillips and Carlton Cole.

Hmm...

Butter

• City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2006, 08:00:54 AM »

Why did Chelsea buy Shaun Wright-Phillips again?

And I think we all know about my fondness towards Carlton Cole.  Just visit my old Peterborough United dynasty if you have forgotten.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »

Quote from: "Butter"
Why did Chelsea buy Shaun Wright-Phillips again?

So that Manchester United couldn't.

The fact that he is not included in SGE's 23 for WC2006 is nothing short of scandalous. Probably has more to offer right now than Walcott can/might, but I don't think Sven's out to actually win the competition anyway.
Opulence. I has it.

Butter

• City Elder
Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2006, 08:32:51 AM »

All I know is he was by far the best player Man City had... but I don't recall seeing him on the pitch for more than 20 minutes at Stamford Bridge.  Makes no sense to me why you would pay so much for him and then just leave him on the bench to rot.  Ah, the extravagancies of the Big 4.

So, thoughts on the Barca-Arsenal final?  Thought it was a fair result... Barca really should've been up 1-0 early, and I think they would've won it once they got ahead.  Henry had no support all night, and I thought taking Pires out for Almunia was probably not the wisest move considering that Arsenal had to know that they'd need to score later.  It all ended up working out for Barcelona, but if it hadn't the blame sure could've laid at Ronaldinho's feet.  He was terrible.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Soccer news and rumours
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2017, 01:25:01 AM »

In the latest news and "rumours", it seems that FC Cincinnati is inching ever so close to getting an MLS franchise, after today's vote from Cincinnati City Council and Hamilton County to provide $52 million in infrastructure funding surrounding a new stadium, presumably in Oakley.

Couple of thoughts:

Cincy is one of 4 finalists in getting this round of 2 MLS franchises. One would think they are better viewed than Nashville and Detroit (assuming Sacramento is in the bag due to being out west), given the amazing things that have happened in the last 2 years here, right?

As a complete aside, the political grandstanding in recent weeks has been nothing but amazing. Any other business announcing they were ready to invest millions in the city (in FCC's case: apart from the $150 million in the MLS franchise fee, there would be a $200 million in a privately-funded stadium) would've gotten the red carpet rolled out. But what a struggle it has been to get City Council and the County Commission to get on board...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:27:19 AM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »

Because the MLS sucks, we don't need another stadium, FC has a great thing going at Nippert with built in infrastructure and a sizable portion of their fan base in UC students who can just walk to the game, Oakley is a God-awful location for it, and my tax dollars will go to pay for some portion of another stadium (it ain't entirely privately funded.)  Besides, I've heard no one say why going to the MLS is so important, so it just sounds like an ego fueled cash grab.  Cincinnati is not a great sports town.  On the occasion when fans go to games, it's generally only for the die-hards, a promotion/special event or if the team is doing really well (and usually, not even then.)  When FC becomes just another MLS team rather than a scrappy club who often punches above their weight and the cost of going to the game skyrockets, how can anyone seriously believe that the games are going to be as well attended and supported as they are now?  The whole thing is utterly stupid.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2017, 07:56:13 AM »

So Raleigh missed out on this round of four finalists, but the delusional people are saying "it's okay, because there's a second round of two more". One would think that the two cities that didn't get franchises in the first round would be in the pole position for the second round.

And honestly, I don't think Cincinnati is better viewed that Nashville and Detroit. I think that it will be Nashville and probably Sacramento. I think, strangely, the Columbus fiasco actually hurts Cincinnati by tarring them with the same Ohio brush.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

I'm with Foolsgold on this one. No one has ever really explained what the city will get from putting out all that money. Sure, we'll have an MLS team, but let's be honest, MLS isn't that big of a deal in the US. We already have a team that plays in the city and draws a lot of fans, so it won't create a bunch of jobs or draw a lot more people just because there is a new stadium and they are part of the MLS. As much as FCC claims differently, ticket prices will definitely go up, which could mean less attendance, not more. It means a ton to the owners because the team will be worth more, but I just don't see what the city gets back for their $75 million. Add in the fact this whole thing was hidden until after the election and now they are trying to rush it through without a real plan in place (hell, they are talking it may not even be in Oakley anymore, which means no one has any idea of the actual cost) and I don't see why anyone would sign on to give them money. This should have all been done months ago so people could actually see the plan and know what they were getting into. Instead, no one has a clue what the plan is (including FCC) and the only thing people know is that they want to be in the MLS.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up