Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Killers - Hot Fuss  (Read 6310 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« on: July 04, 2004, 07:44:39 PM »

I'm not feeling energetic enough to write a formal review right now, but I wanted to throw out some thoughts:  I bought The Killers album b/c I LOOOOVE both "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside" and figured that with two great songs, there are bound to be more.  Right?  That's logical in my book.  Well, I was a bit disappointed.  The cd isn't bad.  I feel like that's an important item to point out:  it's not Bad.  But it's not what I was hoping for, either.  I heard a review of it and they were saying that it was basic anybody-can-do-this rock, but I couldn't believe them.  After listening to it a number of time, Hot Fuss really is pretty basic.  I would like it if someone else could point out why it's better than I'm saying because I really want to believe it.   But yeah, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Cheers!

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 08:02:09 PM »

I was afraid of that...so I didn't buy it.  from the reviews i've been reading, i'm kinda glad I didn't.
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

rva

Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 01:51:28 PM »

I like "Sombody Told Me" but it's right on the margin.  

I find it kinda cheesy and very simplistic, but it has a kick-ass enough riff and beat that I can turn off my brain and just rock out to it.  I was skeptical that they'd be able to stay above that fine line between clever and stupid.

After listening to 5-6 songs from the cd, I have to say it was a bit better than I expected.  I can't handle a whole album of that, so I won't be buying it but I give them a bit of respect.

BTW, There's a big article in Entertainment Weekly this week on the return of alt-rock and The Killers was listed as one of the albums to check out.  It's geared towards the mainstream crowd so it's nothing most of us haven't heard before.  Still, EW does a pretty good job with these kinds of features.  The other bands:  The Shins, Modest Mouse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Death Cab for Cutie, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, The Postal Service.

TheShed

• Summer Resident
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 03:08:34 PM »

I was a little disappointed with this CD also. After seeing them play a few months ago, I was eager for Hot Fuss to come out over here. I do like the first 5 songs or so on the CD, but rarely have the desire to listen to it. I would go see them again though.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Re: Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 11:03:24 PM »

Quote from: "mistergugi"
I would like it if someone else could point out why it's better than I'm saying because I really want to believe it.
Not to prove any points or anything, but I will pitch in my 2 cents as to why I'm digging Hot Fuss.  It's fun!  I like it because it's uncomplicated and great to sing to.  The lyrics are a bit silly and when you combine it with the singer not being able to sing a single word with less than 2 notes...well, it becomes even more fun to sing with!  For whatever reason, my FF cd rarely gets listened to, but I have a hard time staying away from The Killers' disc.  Go figure.

On the downside, I did catch their appearance on Pepsi Smash...ick!  No feeling whatsoever.  What's up with that?  I hope TheShed fills us in on what makes them worth seeing live.  I know it's hard for a band to get enthusiastic to play one song rather than a show, but it was verrry uninspired.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 03:13:49 PM »

After seeing The Killers live I had no interest in buying there cd.  "Somebody Told Me" is a fun song, but after hearing some of their other stuff I wasn't impressed.

TheShed

• Summer Resident
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 09:56:09 PM »

I guess they seemed to have a lot more energy on stage than what I see in the album. For instance, I loved "somebody told me" at the show, but it's boring in comparison on the disc. The singer (Brandon Flowers?) actually seemed excited about the music, which is part of why I liked them. I AM very glad I missed seeing them on Pepsi Smash. Ew.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 01:03:35 PM »

It's like the first song on the disc:  He sings something like "Jenny was a friend of mine" and there's so much potential in that line and the way he sings it.  But then they don't really go anywhere with the mystery and the emotion.  I like kcneon's point, though, and now that there are mixed reviews regarding their stage presence, I'll certainly try to catch them live.

[/b]kcneon[/b] you don't listen to Franz Ferdinand but do listen to the Killers a lot?  Wow...I'm the total opposite.  Both are in my car, but FF gets put in tons, and Killers...just don't have the pull.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 01:31:47 PM »

Yeah, I know...I don't know why I can't seem to get into FF.  Beats me.  I'll probably give it another try in the next couple of days.  Who knows maybe after the 100th listen, the light bulb will come on!   :wink:

The Killers are going to be in town here a week from Monday.  I think several of us from work are going to check them out, so I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 01:39:45 PM »

Quote from: "TheShed"
I AM very glad I missed seeing them on Pepsi Smash. Ew.

I think I saw that last week.  Keane played right before they did, I think...  Keane was good, but you didn't miss anything with The Killers.  Kcneon, I hope you have a better impression of them live than I did.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 01:49:40 PM »

My buddy in L.A. is all about the Killers and he says they're the new thing out there. They don't do much for me, a little too "pop-ish" for me.

As for Keane, I've tried repeatedly to sample their music online. Can't get anything on Kazaa to download, and for some reason, off of their website either. I'm a new age prick, if I can't sample your music (and 95% of the time I can), I won't buy it. Sorry.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »

This is $6.99 this week at Best Buy... is it worth that much at least?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 07:07:42 PM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
This is $6.99 this week at Best Buy... is it worth that much at least?
YES!  The album is awesome!

TheShed

• Summer Resident
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 09:59:36 PM »

It's worth $7. Sure is.

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
    • http://www.steelcityvideomix.com
Killers - Hot Fuss
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 04:07:26 PM »

and make sure you have your Best Buy bonus bucks handy...you'll save even more.
b]I like 99 Rappers,but Jay-Z ain't one-Sage Francis[/b]

i'm just a blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up