Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTENTION: Go see this band!!! (If they're near you, anyhow)  (Read 2727 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder

http://www.carlsonics.com/shows.htm

I got to the Comet a little too early and got bored of waiting around, so I left and went to the North Side Tavern. Protocol were there, good band. Sort of a mix of The Kinks, early Stones, a touch of the Violent Femmes and a dash of blues. I dug what they had going on, I'll go see them again.

Went back to the Comet around 12. The Carlsonics f*cking RAWKED. Great energy, especially from the lead singer. They did a cover of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" to allow us to really get a feel for their bass player's voice. She was great. A highlilght was the "George Bush, Liar Liar Pants on Fire" mobile pulling up out front briefly. It got a standing ovation from the crowd. That was cool. I boutht their CD and I'm calling my friends up in Columbus, demanding they go see this band tonight. I felt like shit, but I'm glad I went now.

Had been waiting to see the Heartless Bastards for a long time....but they didn't do much for me.  

Here's what Citybeat said about them:

The Carlsonics play a fuzzy, dank-basement brand of neo-psychedelia rife with dizzyingly powerful guitar outbursts that straddle the line between Mudhoney-like, out-of-control rapture and Sonic Youth's bold adventurousness. On the raw, rugged quintet's self-titled debut, released on the esteemed Arena Rock Recording Company imprint, the band takes the rambunctious energy and freedom of Garage Rock, splices it with a slanted, tripped-out boogie and adds its own unique melodic personality to keep it distinct. Spontaneous feedback and guitar noise add a level of immediacy to the recording, with the two-guitar interaction providing much of the album's backbone, braiding dirty riffs together to create a tapestry of layered Squawk & Roll. There's a creeping quality to the band's melodic approach; songs like "I Dig the Bushwhack" and "Ice People" don't hit you over the head, but they do manage to work their way up there pretty deep after repeated listens. The Carlsonics have a far-reaching grasp on vintage Rock forms, but they are never too overt and rarely do they treat the blueprint as an archetype. "Tonight We Dine on Fumes" is built on a '60s guitar chime and radiant background vocals before exploding into a bridge of willful cacophony that Keith Moon would have been proud to be a part of, while the jaunty, slashing "Senator Trudge and the Clap Division" and pre-punkish "Done In" also provide album highlights. The Carlsonics have drawn as much praise for their vigorous live performances as they have for their recording output, so checking out this free show at The Comet on Thursday should be a welcome surprise from one of D.C.'s most promising new bands.

JR
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
ATTENTION: Go see this band!!! (If they're near you, anyhow)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 02:16:24 AM »

I can second that since they're from my current hometown. They put on quite an energetic show...glad to see them getting recognized nationally! :)
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

Sue

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 08:09:02 AM »

looks like they'll be here in columbus tonight ... however, I have to work the jewel show :?

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 01:43:08 PM »

sueque222 wrote:
looks like they'll be here in columbus tonight ... however, I have to work the jewel show

Say wha? Are you a dentist?    :P

And I have eaten yet ANOTHER retard sandwhich. I have discovered that the band at the North Side Tavern was not Protocol, but Los Honchos.

Doh!
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 02:07:28 PM »

I looked at their past shows, it looks like they hit Raleigh about every 3-4 months or so, hopefully I'll remember their name the next time they're in town. Thanks for the heads up.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 04:25:20 PM »

The debut CD is killer as well.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 05:09:15 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of their music, but I respect them a lot.

They play a ton of shows and they always go all out.  Also, they're pretty cool guys.  There's a club in Richmond that always books too many bands and then boots half the bands the night of the gig.  And every time it happens there is much anger and confusion and fighting.
I've seen this happen to the Carlsonics twice and both times they were the one band that kept their cool, tried to keep the peace and basically dealt with it as part of the bizz.   You gotta root for people like that.  

I'm also one of the few people I know that doesn't think they're the shit, so definitely check them out if you get a chance.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 09:06:04 PM »

Nate wrote:
The debut CD is killer as well.

Sure is, I've been listening to it all weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up