Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jessica Alba to disappear for the Fantastic Four...  (Read 2560 times)

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
    • http://www.steelcityvideomix.com
Jessica Alba to disappear for the Fantastic Four...
« on: July 14, 2004, 07:52:17 PM »

www.superherohype.com/ff

Jessica Alba has been cast as the Invisible Girl for 20th Century Fox's upcoming Marvel Comics adaptation "Fantastic Four." Alba, whose features include "Sin City" and "Out of the Blue," beat out stiff competition for the role that included Rachel McAdams and Elizabeth Banks. She joins Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans and Ioan Gruffudd as the adventure-seeking quartet made up of scientist Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic (Gruffudd); his love interest, Susan Storm/the Invisible Girl (Alba); her brother, Johnny Storm/the Human Torch (Chris Evans); and Reed's best friend, Benjamin Grimm/the Thing (Chiklis). The four develop superpowers when their spaceship is exposed to cosmic radiation.
b]I like 99 Rappers,but Jay-Z ain't one-Sage Francis[/b]

i'm just a blog

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »

I'll go see this.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 08:41:27 AM »

I freakin hate jessica alba.  But I've got some love for Michael Chiklis.

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 06:31:43 PM »

ah,if you hit any of the fanboy sites,tis looks like they're about to set Fox Studios and Marvel alight over Miss Alba. Miss Alba may be a hottie,but it's like wrong casting.

talk about being passionate.

i'm just a blog

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 09:45:28 AM »

Y'know, people gave me shit when I said it was wrong to cast Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin in Daredevil (a black man in the role of a white man). The argument was always, "It's a character whose main trait has nothing to do with his race." Well, Elektra's main trait is that she's a Greek ninja, but they seemed to forget that, too. That movie didn't get ANY of the chracters right.

Not sure how I feel about Alba in the role. I think she's a bit young, personally, but I suppose that's because Reed and Sue Richards are portrayed as a bit older in the comics. Alba is a tad on the swarthy side, but I can let it slide if they make her look enough like Sue and she can portray the part well.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 01:39:22 PM »

RANT-What in the hell happened to people actually casting women more appropriate with the age of the character.  I was under the assumption Sue Richards was in her mid-thirties not early twenties!!  Jessica Alba bad choice!!  Is there anything else about her besides her ability to jump around in skin tight outfits that should constitute her getting this role?

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 07:21:30 PM »

check this from the FF forum

This has been talked about already, hundreds of times, but look....

Nobody here HATES Jessica Alba. Personally I don;t think she's a great actress. She's a very attractive, exotic young woman. But let's not all sympathise with her just because she wanted to make a career move and take a chance. She's young, she saw an opportunity, she took it. She surely knows that comic book movies are a very hot commodity. It's human nature, I won't hold that against her....... BUT yes she should have maybe known she wasn't cut out for the part. Jury's still out, I won't judge, but does it seem she read FF as a kid? I mean she could have, but I really don't feel she did.

What I gather is that her being cast stands for, symbolizes EVERYTHING we, as devoted comic book movie fans, do not want to see in the genre. The almighthy miscast. One more rundown of why she simply does not fit the role (as reiterated from so many posts):

1. She is dark complected, Sue is white and blonde with blue eyes.

2. She looks nothing like and is the same age as Chris Evans (Johnny Storm). This destroys the assertion she is the older sister, who actually resembles her kid brother a hell of a lot more in the comics.

3. The competition-Rachel McAcams, looks EXACTLY like Sue Storm and is another "up and coming" actress to boot. Alba, with all due respect, is mainly recognized and revered from music video looking teen fare movies and not someone you'd want to be in such an anticipated movie because you'd want someone with more depth.

This touches off more than just a movie, it comes down to a polite promise from the producers, people we trust to not stray from the comic continuity and familiarity we look forward to so much in seeing our favorite characters of pop culture depicted in real life. These are also people we pay good money to see these works on the screen, and depending how good they are (ala Spider-Man and X-Men more than once!)

Fantastic Four was promised to be faithful. Comic book movies, for the most part, have been hits lately. Even as universally disappointing the Hulk turned out it still brought in lots of revenue from DVD sales. What's my point? Nobody wants to see a Marvel property be another missed opportunity. The Fantastic Four is in the Marvel elite.

What doesn't help, doesn't destroy, but certainly makes people cringe, is that there was a movie made that wasn't released on FF that is apparently so bad, there's probably not too many copies that exist.

The Punisher was remade from an absymal 1989 actioner, and it only made back what it cost to film. No one wants to see this happen to FF. Alba's casting doesn't really ensure the movie flops (though it could due to the backlash, but even that's suspect), I'll still see the movie, we all will.....it just this move by the studio (or whoever warranted this), stands out. It really does. Keep in mind this whole thing only enflames the whole indifference between comic fans and suits, some of which come onto a project, even as "grand" as this one and know little if at all about the comic.

I know I don't stand alone of this assertion, but I flat out REFUSE to give Fox suits or anyone "creatively consulting" this movie the benefit of the doubt on this one. Unreasonable? Maybe. Entitled? Yes, we can't have a say too?

What's the main gripe with this casting move:

First and foremost it's CHANGE. People don't like it in general, especially in comic book movies. The audience is vast, and picky. Suits don't realize that, or if they don't care, they will see the numbers for seats sold drop. I'm sure it's happened.

Again, it's change. Change is a risk in comic book movies. The Hulk took itself too seriously. This here is a "comedy". Not a great start, but we'll see what comes of this. Alba's obviously stature as an actress and physical indifference to Sue Storm also represents another thing we, as Americans, oppose alot. That's political correctness.

Times are how they are. That's life. But comic book movies were the last many of us were expecting (or hoping) to see get that tag. Maybe it's a testament to just how BIG these movies are since they're watched more by people who are unfamiliar with these comic entities.

I think the studio asked Alba on purpose, knowing of what would ensue. And whether or not she had a good screentest, I'm sorry, but I think that's irrelevent. I'm not the first or last to say she got cast for other things then "talent". Alba, looks wise, and box office wise, resembles the type of actress who is hired for all looks. That happens. It's just the producers had to know of the negative reaction. And if they didn't........

i'm just a blog

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 02:54:09 PM »

www.jmazone.de

there are some pixs of her in there from the movie...

i'm just a blog

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 01:02:19 PM »

Here is the teaser/trailer for Fantastic Four.  It looks okay.  I'm just not too keen on the cast.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 01:08:24 PM »

The Thing looks retarded.

SteelTown Boy

• Trust the DJ
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 01:10:59 PM »

get a look at what JA looks like...

i'm just a blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up