Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyrannosaurus Hives - The Hives  (Read 4058 times)

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
Tyrannosaurus Hives - The Hives
« on: July 23, 2004, 01:23:53 PM »

During a recent Hives concert at Washington, DC's 9:30 Club, a fan yelled out, "The Hives are the best fuckin' band in the world!" Guitarist Nicholaus Arson replied, "Give that man a microphone...and 10,000 speakers."

Are the Hives the best band in the world? Probably not, but they certainly get an A for effort.

Their third full-length disc, Tyrannosaurus Hives, shows significant growth from their previous album, Veni Vidi Vicious, which should be expected given the four years between releases. (Granted, some of that was due to record label finagling over the band.) Where each track sounds similar from the first song to the last on VVV, Tyrannosaurus explores different instrumentation and even features a string arrangement on the track "Diabolic Scheme."

The album clocks in at a mere 30 minutes and five seconds, however the band packs in a lot of music in a short period of time. Frontman extraordinaire Howlin' Pelle Almqvist vocals are just as loud as ever as he shouts through the twelve tracks.

Tyrannosaurus Hives' opener, "Abra Cadaver," serves as a refresher course on the Hives' garage rock tinged R&B roots sound. The band won't win any songwriting awards, but the lyrics serve their purpose well in providing the listener something to sing along with while rockin' out.

When Almqvist delivers the line, "It's a lie…It's a lii-iiii-oh-oh-oh oh!" during the album's first single, "Walk Idiot Walk," it makes for a great song moment despite the main guitar riff's similarity to The Who's "I Can't Explain."

The stand-out track on the album is "A Little More for You," which starts off as a straightforward punk song and then switches into a melodic poppy tune just before the chorus and then switches back. It's two songs for the price of one.

The Hives are the type of band people love to hate. They were matching suits, have a bizarre (most likely fictitious) back story and stage names. Despite the limitations in the garage-rock sound, Tyrannosaurus Hives avoids falling into the "let's-make-an-album-that-sounds-like-our-last-one" rut and proves the band is a lot more than just a gimmick.

My rating: 4 out of 5
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:41:49 PM »

oooh, I can't wait, I can't wait!

:D
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 02:15:41 PM »

We actually have a review of this ready to go for the site by Nate, but he's out of town and the file he sent me won't open. Guess we'll post it when he gets back.

AngelV

• City Elder
    • http://www.dimpleandasmirk.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 02:18:46 PM »

Always good to have multiple opinions on the same disc. :)
And I didn't stand there when you were bumming out over a particularly witty and insightful monologue by moi. So bust out your own violins and have a pity party with yourself." -- Greg Dulli

Sonic Boom

• Master of 4 chords
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 06:08:29 PM »

Good to hear the review- my only worry was that this CD would end up just being "more of the same..."
color=DarkGreen]Kill Your Co-Workers [/color]

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 12:48:10 AM »

I think I gave it a 3.5 out of 5.  Consistently, it's their best disc, but there aren't any standout moments like 'Main Offender' and 'Hate To Say I Told You So' present.

Totally agree on the 'A Little More For You' part though.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up