Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Rentals: Or, Warning People off Blowing $4 on Crap  (Read 27494 times)

AllanM

• Summer Resident
Recent Rentals: Or, Warning People off Blowing $4 on Crap
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 02:29:06 PM »

Over the weekend, I rented a couple of movies -- I chose Dummy and my girlfriend chose Girl With the Pearl Earring.  We have to approve each other's choices, which prevents me from renting Ichi the Killer and her from renting Funny Girl.  Fair enough.

Dummy -- quirky, depressing movie with Adrien Brody as a shut-in who takes up ventriloquism.  I liked it, my girlfriend thought it was stupid.

Girl With the Pear Earring -- over-rated costume drama with Scarlett Johannsen about a servant working in a painter's house.  I thought it was kind of boring and rather straight forward.  I've been told the book is much better, and goes into a lot of the background that the movie only glosses over.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 02:54:19 PM »

HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG - Didn't really see that whole ending coming.  Should've, I suppose.  But I was wondering about halfway through just WHAT they were going to do for another hour.  Maybe a smidgen over the top, but Ben Kingsley is always great.  Well worth the rental.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »

Ooo, I dig twist endings. Had no interest in House beyond Ben Kingsley, but I'm thinking I'll maybe give it a try now.

Allan, what did your girl think of Pearl Earring? since you liked Dummy and she hated it, and you hated Pearl Earring, I suspect she dug it? Sounds kinda like me and my fiancee. :)

AllanM

• Summer Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2004, 07:05:32 PM »

Allan, what did your girl think of Pearl Earring? since you liked Dummy and she hated it, and you hated Pearl Earring, I suspect she dug it? Sounds kinda like me and my fiancee.

Well, she thought it was okay, but nothing special.  She's read the book so she was able to point out the significance of certain objects and subplots (that never went anywhere in the movie), but I think she was disappointed overall.  

But she liked it better than Adrien Brody and his creepy wooden doll...  :D

AllanM

• Summer Resident
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »

Rented Once Upon a Time in the Midlands this weekend -- avoid at all costs, unless you like unfunny melodramatic romantic comedies.  I rarely want to stop watching a movie once I've started, but this thing hurt my eyes... :shock:

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 02:40:55 PM »

Rented THE GIRL NEXT DOOR. Was hoping for RISKY BUSINESS light. Not sure what the hell the movie was trying to be. It had like 3 different personalities. I wouldn't recommend it. At all.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2004, 04:52:42 PM »

We rented Witchboard and watched it over the weekend.  I had fond memories of it from my junior high/high school days.  (It's that movie about the Ouija board with Tawny Kitaen and some soap opera actors in it.)  The movie was just as fun and horribly acted as I remembered it.  The DVD had just been released with audio commentary, and it was THE WORST commentary track ever.  The writer, director, and producers were sitting around congratulating themselves on what a wonderfully made movie it was.  Um, were they watching the same movie as everyone else?  This thing is camp, pure and simple.  Egomaniacs.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2004, 05:18:55 PM »

Quote from: "c-lando"
Rented THE GIRL NEXT DOOR. Was hoping for RISKY BUSINESS light. Not sure what the hell the movie was trying to be. It had like 3 different personalities. I wouldn't recommend it. At all.

From the commercials and the trailer it looked like a typical TNA flick from the word go, no substance just a lot of half nakedness.  If it looks like a fish, and smells like a fish, it's usually a fish, I'm not surprised it sucked.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

foolsgold

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 09:04:03 AM »

Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
From the commercials and the trailer it looked like a typical TNA flick from the word go, no substance just a lot of half nakedness.

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Rented Bubba Ho-Tep and enjoyed it.  Nothing spectacular, but worth the cost of the rent one free coupon found on the back of Oatmeal Crunch cereal.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 09:48:47 AM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
Quote from: "Kwyjibo"
From the commercials and the trailer it looked like a typical TNA flick from the word go, no substance just a lot of half nakedness.

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Those getting married in less than two weeks need all the points they can get.   :-$
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

TheShed

• Summer Resident
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 10:09:43 PM »

I just saw Kill Bill 2, and liked it less than the first. I haven't heard anyone say they liked the first one better, but I don't get it. KB2 just seemed kind of... boring. I wouldn't rave about either one though.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2004, 10:51:18 AM »

I totally liked KILL BILL VOLUME 1 better than VOLUME 2...
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

TheShed

• Summer Resident
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2004, 01:21:18 PM »

Good to know. I thought I was missing something.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 08:09:47 AM »

Caught the ladykillers lastnight, the general and the old lady were my favorite people..oh, and pickles--any animal that can learn to dispose of a carcass (okay, a finger) that fast is nothing short of kick ass.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Doug

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 08:40:54 AM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
DSM, what did you think of KB2?

Ooops....haven't checked this thread in awhile.  I meant to rent it, but I only had 5 bucks.  Beer and bad TV sounded better.  I'll check it out eventually.  From everyone's comments, I'm not missing much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up