Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Rentals: Or, Warning People off Blowing $4 on Crap  (Read 31752 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Recent Rentals: Or, Warning People off Blowing $4 on Crap
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »

Quote from: "foolsgold"
but beyond the visuals, it was not too hot.

that's what the wimmin usually say when referring to me.  :-s

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2005, 06:18:10 PM »

Just rented "Chris Rock: Never Scared"

Once again, his stand-up never lets me down.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2005, 08:11:25 AM »

THE STATION AGENT

Highly recommended.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2005, 09:20:00 AM »

Kinda redundant, but I Heart Huckabees was great. Clever, funny and just plain weird. good stuff.

Ray was also pretty good, but damned depressing. Apparently, Ray Charles wasn't the nicest guy in the world. Talented as fuck, but quite a dick. If you don't mind a downer of movie, go for it. I enjoyed it.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »

Finally rented The Dreamers. Fantastic job of re-creating Paris in 1968. Better job re-creating what some might have actually been experiencing. Interesting story line and antics, but a great flick. Loved the tunes throughout as well.

I think many on these Boards would like it.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2005, 09:51:10 AM »

Watched Without A Paddle on PPV last night. Some really funny bits, but kinda predictable, and had some hackeneyed dialogue. Which was weird, because the funny bits were REALLY funny. I'm guessing the writers can write comedy, but nothing else. Worth a rental.

Doug

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2005, 07:42:40 AM »

We got "My First Mister" at the library and watched it last night.  I kinda' wrote it off as a teen/goth angst movie, but every scene peeled back a new layer of depth to the characters and their relationships.  I have to say, it's probably one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.  Brilliantly filmed and acted.

I also watched the new "Resident Evil" movie.  It was o.k. for some cool action, but not as good as the first one for creepiness.

And saw the first half of "Eurotrip", which had me laughing my ass off.  I got interrupted before I could watch the whole thing, so don't tell me how it ends.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2005, 08:10:22 AM »

Whatever you do, do not go to the UK and spend 24.00 ON A 4-DVD set of every Pink Panther cartoon from the 60's and 70's, perhaps believing that owning such an item will magically transform you back to the Sunday teatimes of your younger carefree years. Inevitably, when you start to watch said cartoons they will appear FAR less appealing than you remember and you will end up wondering just why the fuck you wasted your money.
Opulence. I has it.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2005, 08:12:44 AM »

We watched American Splendor this weekend. I really enjoyed it. It's about an underground comic book writer.
Well.......

Doug

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2005, 08:16:28 AM »

Quote from: "clemsonfan"
We watched American Splendor this weekend. I really enjoyed it. It's about an underground comic book writer.

I love that movie.  I tend to watch any time I come across it on HBO.  I love the part where they're home from their first date and they're getting ready to make out and she has to puke, sying the "Yuppie food" did her in.

Have you guys seen "Crumb"?  It's a documentary on R. Crumb, the guy in "American Splendor" who did the art work for Harvey's comic.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2005, 09:11:34 AM »

Quote from: "DogStarMan"
Quote from: "clemsonfan"

I love that movie.  I tend to watch any time I come across it on HBO.  I love the part where they're home from their first date and they're getting ready to make out and she has to puke, sying the "Yuppie food" did her in.

Have you guys seen "Crumb"?  It's a documentary on R. Crumb, the guy in "American Splendor" who did the art work for Harvey's comic.

Crumb is very interesting! We caught in on IFC I think.
Well.......

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2005, 09:31:27 AM »

Crumb is just creepy.  I had to shower after that movie.

I liked American Splendor, but it seemed like it could've been more... funny.  I guess Harvey Pekar just isn't that funny.  I remember all his appearances on "Letterman", and I didn't really think he was that funny then either.

Doug

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2005, 11:48:53 AM »

Quote from: "Butter"
Crumb is just creepy.  I had to shower after that movie.

I didn't find it creepy at all.  I dig stories about people who are basically outcast from society and then wind up succeeding at doing their own thing.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2005, 08:00:10 PM »

Just finished watching the Manchurian Candidate remake.  It was good, but not nearly as neatly directed as the original.  The changes to the storyline were excellent and it stands good by itself without comparison to the original.  Both are good in their own ways even though they share a similiar premise.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2005, 09:41:54 AM »

We got Being John Malkovich from Netflix.  It is now in my list of top five worst movies I've ever seen.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up