Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls  (Read 46412 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:26:05 AM »

I'll admit it, I'm not a very good poker player.  I'm decent, conservative to a fault.  If I get enough good hands, I can win a tournament (as I did last week).  But then, so can anyone else with decent hands.  My problem comes when I try to smell out a bluff or bluff myself.  I can be pushed around pretty easily.  Some days I notice my play is really good, other days it's just crap.

Anyway, in lieu of a blog, I will chronicle here my attempt to make some money or SOMETHING (anything) off of the several poker freerolls I play during the week.  I try to play a few a day, but sometimes my work schedule allows less or more.

First off, let's detail the sites I play, and why.

Absolute Poker:
- Site has 2 freerolls per day that fit into my schedule at 9 AM and 1 PM.  I usually just play the 9 AM one.  MWF they have No Limit hold 'Em tourneys at 9 AM, T and TH they have 7 Card Stud freerolls at 9 AM.  They flop times on the other days.  I am not a good 7 Card Stud player at all, but am trying.  The top 15 players in these freerolls win entry into another free tournament on Sunday night at 6 PM, where the top prize is $275.  Not bad, probably the best reward of all the freerolls.  Average turnout is around 600-700.

Ultimate Bet:
- Site has several freerolls that fit into my schedule, the main one being at 10:15 AM that if you place in the top 50 gives you a free entry into a Sunday at 1:15 PM tourney.  This Sunday tourney gives you a real money tournament entry worth $110 if you place in the top 10.  A bit longer of a road to actual money, but a $110 tourney entry is the gateway to some serious prize pools.  All of these tourneys are No Limit Hold 'Em.  The other freerolls I play here promise web site points (which can be used to enter small tourneys), and bonus money (which you can convert into real money by playing at real money tables... so far I have $3.75 in bonus money and 74 points at this site).  Average turnout is between 1500 and 2500 (the max).  So the competition is rough.

Jet Set Poker:
- A small site with very few real money players.  I wonder how long it'll keep going, really.  They have several tourneys also that reward web site points, which if you go up the chain far enough, can convert into money.  I have 33 points at this web site so far, and I've been playing there only about 2 weeks.  The main tourney I enter is at 10 AM, a No Limit Hold 'Em tourney.  I also like to play the 11 AM Omaha Hi/Lo tourney.  I am a decent Hi/Lo player.  It's always fun to watch people draw 3 Aces and look flabbergasted when they lose to a set of Kings.  Participants are max at 500, so that's good.

Poker Room:
- I hate the people at this site, but they have a 9 AM No Limit Freeroll which pays out $75 in bonus money to 1st place.  I guess I'd put money here to collect if I had to.  But I never play well or even try hard here.  1800 players max.

Poker Champs:
- A new site that's still in beta.  They're offering free money to the top 3 finishers in their freerolls that you can use without a deposit once the site goes live.  The most I've seen in a freeroll is 110 people, so the odds are decent.  The players are morons, but not all of them.  I've only played about 5 tourneys here so far, and finished 8th once, but no better.  The tourneys are every 2 hours.  Don't know the max level as they aren't anywhere near it ever.

The problem with playing freerolls is that your opponents are more often than not, morons.  And sometimes morons catch miracle river cards.  But we'll chronicle that as the thread moves along.

Hope you enjoy it.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Re: Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 09:39:04 AM »

Quote from: "Butter"
The problem with playing freerolls is that your opponents are more often than not, morons.  And sometimes morons catch miracle river cards.

Which is what happens every single time I play at Poker Room. I've pretty much given up playing there. I can have a full boat and somehow or another, someone else will pull out a flush. Every time.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 11:23:12 AM »

Thursday, August 26th

Ultimate Bet, 8:15 AM, $500 Bonus Dollar pool Freeroll:

I take my seat and no sooner do I sit down, then I get dealt pocket Aces.  The holy grail of starting hands on my 2nd hand.  Knowing that itís important to knock the idiots out early, and knowing that many players will call all-in bets with a single Ace, I move in.  I get 2 callers of my $1000 all-in bet, both of whom have less money than me.  One has K-Qo (the little o denoting off-suit, or 2 cards of different suits), and one has QQ.  Even if a K comes up, Iím gold.  But, true to online form, the final remaining Q shows up on the river, and Iím quickly down to $160, while ace1961 collects up to $2800.  Itís much harder to win online with AA then it is in real life.  Iíve yet to determine if it is because of coincidence, poor play by me, or stacking of the deck by the sites themselves.  

5 hands later, Iím in middle position and am dealt A-Qo with my same $160.  There is one raiser in front of me who bumps up the small blind from $10 to $100.  I go all-in, and we get 5 callers after the raiser goes all-in as well.  4 people will get knocked out on this hand.  I canít believe some of the crap these people called with.  Thereís a 5-6d (d=diamonds, h=hearts, s=spades, c=clubs), A-2d, Q-Jo, and the raiser had KK. Oops.  Oh well, I wouldíve had to double up at some point to get back in it.  The board comes, and itís nothing over a 10 with no diamonds, and Iím out before I even get in the blinds.  Canít say I played badly, just took a bad beat on that first hand and had to be aggressive after that.

Jet Set Poker, 10:00 AM, points Freeroll:

2nd hand, I catch QQ, and slow play them, just calling them to the left of the big blind.  The flop comes up 2-5-5, and I bet 300 (starting with $1,500).  I get raised, and decide to go ahead and go all-in.  I lose to 5-7.  If I had raised before the flop, he probably folds.  Live and learn.  I finish 470th out of 500.  Ouch.

Ultimate Bet, 10:15 AM, Sunday tourney freeroll:

I win a couple of small early hands with Aces, then decide to go all-in against a pre-flop raise to $90 with my pocket 10ís.  I am called with pocket Aces, and drop to $695.  Still in it, but too aggressive before the flop as usual.  I fold for about a Ĺ hour, then draw pocket 10ís from the BB.  I am raised again pre-flop and decide to go all-in.  I am beaten AGAIN with AA, and am out.  Quick out in this one too, but knowing how people play, I am not too unhappy with how Iíve played.  Apparently, no one else has trouble winning with pocket Aces.

Poker Room, 9:00 AM, $750 bonus prize pool Freeroll:

I play well early on, forcing people out with low pair, and catching good flops.  One hand I knock out 2 guys with a good bit of money when my K-9 is rewarded with a flop of 10-J-Q.  One was holding K-Q, the other holding 9-3 trying to also catch a straight when they call my all-in.  Neither make it, and I triple up to $7,000.  I continue to catch 2 pair and trips on the flop, getting up to over $10,000 and into the top 30.  I start slowing down a bit, and throw away $1,200 stupidly calling my low pair of 6ís against a short stack who rivers trip Qís.  Iím 39th at the first hour break, and playing well, bullying the table which includes 5 of 10 players who are listed as ďAwayĒ.

First hand back, Iím dealt Q-6s in the BB, and call a $300.  Blinds are now $150-$300.  I win $2500 after rivering a flush, and am up to 26th.  Next hand, I have K-2o in the SB, and call.  Flop comes J-K-2.  Icymanx ($8,500) bets $300 and I re-raise to $2,000.  He re-raises to $3,700.  I seriously doubt I am beat with my 2 pair, unless Iím up against J-J.  I decide to risk it, and go all-in with my $10,500.  He calls, and reveals A-A.  So Iím good, unlessÖ.  Yup, river shows an Ace, and Iím down to $2,300.  Two hands later, I get J-J and just call the $300 blind.  Flop comes out Q-10-J, and Iíve flopped a set.  I induce a bet of $1000 to my left, and re-raise to $2,500.  I get called.  Next card shows an A, and now Iím frightened of the straight.  We go check-check to the river, which is a blank, and check-check again.  He shows A-10, and Iím up to $6,600.

I donít catch much of anything else for a Ĺ hour, and lose over Ĺ my stack, being frightened off of playing my middle pairs against overcards that are bet large.  I double up going all-in with my short stack with A-7s, and am called by A-4o.  I win when a 7 hits the river and no other help.  Next hand I throw away 8-9o facing an all-in pre-flop raise, and the better shows 4ís against another caller with A-Jo.  Flop shows 2-8-9, and I promptly kick myself.  At least Iím back to the top 100 at this point, as the blinds start to hurt at $300/$600.

I fight back to near $10,000 again, now just 75th out of 145 remaining.  Then I get A-Ko on the button, and have 5 callers, as I simply call this one as well to see the flop.  Flop comes out 3-9-A, seemingly no help to anyone, but the big blind bets $1,600.  Someone else calls, one folds, and the guy behind me goes all-in with his small stack of $2,500.  I move all-in with my $10k, and get called (yippee!).  Small stack shows same A-Ko, other all-in of $9,500 shows K-Jh.  No other help comes, and I double to $21k, as the other stack only gets a double up to $4,600.  Next hand I see A-10o, and another small stack of $3k goes all-in, and I re-raise to $7k to scare off everyone else.  We go heads up, and she shows Q-J.  Flop comes 10-J-K, and I am looking bad.  Then comes the Q, and I make my straight.  Final card is a blank, and Iím way up again.

A bit later, I get K-K with my $14k or so, and slow play it.  Flop comes 2-4-5, with 2 spades, and I check from my 1st position.  Next better goes all-in, NEXT better raises to $17k!  Next person folds, and I go all-in.  They show a couple of flush draws.  Neither make, and I am up to $38k and 9th place!  Blinds now rise to $800/$1600, and there are only 86 players left.  Top 45 make the money.

A bit later, I see A-Ko from the SB, and raise to $6600.  I get 1 caller, and the flop comes out 5-3-3.  CANíT help the person I think, so I bet $13,000, about half my remaining stack and enough to put them all-in.  They immediately call, and show A-3d.  MOTHERFUCKER.  Iím down to $15k and about 50th place.  I take solace knowing that they probably wouldíve gone all-in if I had let them bet, and I probably wouldíve called it.  2nd 5 minute break at 11 AM shows me at 47th out of 69 remaining.

I get blinded down to $8800 with not much of anything, and decide to push all-in against the 2 big stack callers who both have over $100k with my A-Kc.  Both call the $8800, and flop shows 3-4-K, 2 spades.  So I at least have top pair with best kicker, and one of the big stacks bets $6k, driving the other one out.  They fold, and big stack shows K-Jo.  Good for me.  4th street is a 7s, not good for me, as big stack holds a spade.  A spade or a Jack and Iím out.  Sure enough, the river is a Jack, and Iím out in 61st, just out of the money.

Time to work.  :(  :(

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:48:01 PM »

And I thought I screwed around at work.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 11:16:53 AM »

Friday, August 27th.

Poker Room, 9:00 AM, $750 bonus prize pool Freeroll:

I am in middle position, and draw pocket Aces on hand 1.  Letís see if the table will go raise crazy as per normal.  Nope, 6 callers for $20 each. Flop comes 6-9-9.  Great, a trips possibility.  The table checks around, all 6 players.  A tight table for once!  Player to my left bets 40 after the turn shows a J.  All fold to me.  I raise to $150 and am called.  River is a K, 3 spades on the board.  I bet $150 and am called, and win the $410 pot to take an early table lead.  I lose about $300 on a hand where I draw 2 pair on the flop and am beaten by a better 2 pair (Qís and 6ís to my 6ís and 3ís).

A bit later, I win about $500 on another pocket Aces bet.  2 low stacks are knocked out as they move all-in before the flop with garbage and are called by me.  Sadly, the next hand I call Q-7d from the small blind and watch 7-4-7 hit the board (can I nickname hands?  If so, thatís the Boeing flop).  I throw in $40, am re-raised all-in and call.  Better turns over pocket 4ís, and Iím out quick.  Ouch.  Finish in the mid 1500ís out of 1800.

Absolute Poker, 9:00 AM, Sunday tourney Freeroll:

I get seat 9 here and start in the small blind.  My 2-10o gets folded to an early raise (what a shocker, eh?).  After a few hands, I draw A-10o in late position.  I call a $400 raise, and weíll see the flop with already a $900 pot.  Flop comes J-Q-10, good for me with 2 clubs hitting my 10c.  Raiser checks, and I bet $100 and am called.  Next card is Ac, and I push $200 more in and am called.  River is a blank, I bet $500, am called, and nearly double to $3000 as better mucks to my 2 pair.

A bit later, I limp in with K-9o, and see the flop of 2-3-K, 2 clubs.  Excellent for me.  I bet $200 into a $200 pot, and get one caller.  Next card is a 9, and I push a bit more with $400, and get called.  Surely a flush draw.  River is a 9 of clubs!  Couldnít be a better card for me as I see the flusher check to me.  I show weakness with another small bet of $300, and sure enough get raised all-in.  I immediately call and see the betterís 6-7 of clubs.  No comment from the player as I turn over my full house and move up to $6000!

A bit later, this guy Iíve pushed out of no less than 3 pots by scaring him off with large bets raises pre-flop to $240 (blinds are 60/120).  I call in the BB with A-9o.  Flop couldnít be much better for me, 9-4-A rainbow.  3 players in this pot, Iím 2nd to act, raiser is last.  1st checks, I check, raiser couldnít be more transparent with his hand, as he bets $480, about 1/3 of his remaining stack.  Must have had A-J, A-Q, or A-K.  I figure I have him massacred at this point, and bet enough to put him all in after first position folds.  He calls of course, and flips over A-Qo.  No other help comes for anyone, and I knock him out and move up to about $8500.  First hour break, Iím at $9,180 with 242 players left, and the blinds about to hit 100/200.

I take a major beat shortly after the break, raising 5 callers from late position with my pocket 7ís.  I am re-raised to $2k, and we still have 4 players.  Yikes.  Flop comes 8-8-4.  I am last to act, after the 2 blinds who stayed in and the other player.  It goes check, bet $1k, player 3 goes all-in with $2500, I call, SB folds, BB raises all-in for about $5k.  Now Iím really wondering.  Who would stay in on a big re-raise with an 8, unless it was 2 8ís?  Answer, the BB here who reveals A-8 to my call.  Other player had J-10 suited, but who knows why they were in.  I get massacred here and drop to $4200.  And with the blinds soon up to 200/300, I may not be long for this one.  I steal the blinds once, then have them pass me by, and am still in for $4900 with under 70 players left.  Iím trying hard to make the last 15.

I get blinded down to not much, missing a chance to make my stand with A-2d, getting pushed off of them by a raise and re-raise pre-flop (my stack was $4100, called $800, folded to an all-in betÖ betters had A-Qo and A-8o).  I wouldíve hit a diamond flush and tripled.  Instead, I push all-in after the blinds hit me AGAIN with pocket 5ís and a stack 1.5 that of the BB.  Of course this scares off no one, and I get beat when someone calls with a K in hand and a K hits the board.  I finish 59th out of 671.

Ultimate Bet, 9:15 AM, $500 Bonus Dollar pool Freeroll:

Not many big pots for me early, but I raise my stack from $1000 to $2200 in the first 30 minutes with some decent cards.  Down to $1600, I finally see an interesting hand in the big blind, JJ.  3 players with $140 in the pot, flop comes 3-9-7 rainbow.  Good for me.  I bet 200 and am called by 1 player.  Next card is a 6, no help.  I fire in another 200 and am called again.  Hmmm.  Last card is a 4, seemingly no help to anybody.  I check to see what will happen.  Other player is at $2250, and bets enough to put me all-in.  I think on it, then call after I decide that thereís no flush on the board, and any straight would have to be something totally wacky, like 10-8 or 5-2.  Better shows pocket 10ís.  Whoo-hoo!  Good read for me!

About 15 minutes later, not such a good read, as I stay in a pot with K-Jd, with the board showing 9-A-K, rainbow.  I call a $200 bet, and when the turn shows Qc, we both check to the river.  Hmmm, now Iím thinking my call scared him off of his nothing.  The river is a 7, no flush out there.  I bet $160 into a $700 pot.  I am re-raised to $680.  Now Iím REALLY confused.  If he had an Ace-something, surely he wouldíve bet the turn.  I call, and see a rivered 2 pair, 9ís and 7ís.  Blech.  Iím down to under $1000.  Still there during the first break, and blinds are going to 50/100.

I stay between $1500 and $2500 for most of the next hour, while the blinds continue to go up to 100/200.  With $2300 and the 2nd smallest stack at the table, I merely call with A-Jo in early position.  1 other calls and the BB raises to 400.  I figure him for a steal, as he has been erratic the whole session, and push all-in.  Other better folds, he calls and reveals A-Qo.  No cards above a 10 hit the board, and Iím out.  I finish 223rd out of 1845.

First half hour is thoroughly uneventful, as I win a few small pots and sit at around $1800.

Tough call at the 45 minute point, I am dealt 99 in the SB (blinds are 20/40).  Small stack of 355 pushes all-in.  Larger stack pushes 1150 in.  I twiddle my thumbs for a bit before folding.  Small stack reveals A-Jo, while big stack shows KK.  Whew.  Flop shows J-9-K, and there wouldíve been some fireworks there if not for the earlier fireworks.  Very lucky to have gotten out of that hand early.

4 hands later Iím dealt 10-10, and raise the BB to 200.  2 callers, and the flop is a lovely 10-2-3 rainbow.  Iím 2nd to act, and all 3 of us check.  Next card is a 6, and again thereís check check action.  5th street is a J, and Iím hoping someone paired.  All I get is a sad $40 bet from player 1, and I raise to a modest 200, hoping for a call.  I get 1 call, and win enough to nearly double to 2300.

Next BB opportunity and I get A-Qo.  Blinds are still 20/40, so I make it hurt for the 6 callers by raising to 450.  I get just 1 taker, and the flop is a good but not great 6-Q-J with 2 diamonds.  I bet 400 and the other player calls with their slightly larger stack of 3500.  Next card is a 9c, and I decide not to let him draw any more cards and move all-in.  Too late, as I am called and the caller reveals Q-J to beat me.  He had been pretty loose the whole session, so I imagine he wouldíve called my lower all-in bet with 2 face cards if I had moved in before the flop, so I am not too unhappy.  Perhaps I played that too aggressively without having the nuts, but oh well.  I finish 664th out of 2393.

That's it for today.  Not a great showing, but I did OK at the AP one.  No tourneys to play this weekend.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 12:23:42 PM »

Yay! A weekend without an online tournament!
Well.......

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 12:25:15 PM »

Hey, that's less money for you, woman.   :P

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 01:43:01 PM »

Hey, that's less money for you, woman.   :P

Less than how much exactly?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 02:52:38 PM »

Less than zero.  Which would be negative.  Ha ha!  Thought you had me, didn't you?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 12:12:52 PM »

Monday, August 30th.

Ultimate Bet, 8:15 AM, $500 Bonus Dollar Freeroll:

Letís see, I get nothing to bet the first 6 hands, although everyone else didnít seem to have a problem raising and re-raising with shit.  Yeah, I got one of THOSE tables.  So, hand 7, I get A-9o.  Itís raised and re-raised pre-flop (with 2 guys who had Q-2h and 7-8o, by the way), and we go to the flop with 5 people all-in, including me.  Third guy had pocket 10ís, and the fourth guy had A-3o.  I do flop a 9, but no Ace hits and Iím out of that crazy table to pocket 10ís, as are 3 others.  Fine with me.  I imagine I finished near last, but then Iíd have to go find my name in the list, and dammit Iím just too lazy.

Jet Set Poker, 10:00 AM, Points Freeroll:

My first hand, I get A-Qo, very good and Iím willing to go all-in if necessary, but just call the $20 BB.  There are 9 callers of 10 players.  And the flop just gets betterÖ. Q-Q-Q.  Thatís right, Iíve flopped quads.  Now how to not totally blow it.  I check from 1st position, and the 4th person around puts in 120.  I simply call, and everyone else folds.  Next card is a 10, and I pray sheís got a 10.  She bets 400, and I call.  Last card is an Ace, and I check.  She also checks, and I take an early table lead showing my 4 Queens.

Sadly, I get massacred a bit later on, going all-in against a maniac who happened to get pocket 10ís vs. my pocket 7ís.  I dwindle down to not much, going all in with A-J against Q-J and 10-10 again, and losing to a pair of Queens.  I finish 243rd out of 500 in this uneventful tourney.

Ultimate Bet, 10:15 AM, Sunday tourney Freeroll:

I lose quickly in this one, overbetting my Ace with a crappy kicker against a straight possibility that makes.  Oh well.

Absolute Poker, 9:00 AM, Sunday tourney Freeroll:

I lose about $400 the first 2 times around the table.  Have some pretty loose players, among the ones who arenít absent, which is about half the table of 10.  I fold A-3 to 2 pre-flop re-raises, and watch the board grant me an Aces full of 3's full house that I couldíve tripled on.  Next hand I get A-Qo, and one of the guys that got beat that last hand, re-raises my $200 raise.  I go all-in (about $1300), and he calls with his $1000.  He shows K-Qo, and nothing pairs, so I knock him out and promptly get moved to another table with my $2500.

There, I call with K-8o, and watch the flop come K-8-8.  I check, one person bets $120, I go all-in and everyone folds.  Whoops.  Next hand I check in the BB with K-2o.  I watch another awesome flop of A-2-2.  This time I have a player who bets $240 into a pot of $200 following my check.  The action folds to me and I raise to $480 and am called.  Next comes a Q, of which Iím not afraid.  I bet another $400 and am called.  River shows a K, and Iíve made a boat.  Iím putting the caller on an Ace here, so I put them all-in for another $1000.  They call, and muck their hand to my winning full house.  I now stand at around $5000, and playing well.

I continue to hit some good cards and get some callers with my trips and their flush possibilities, and push my stack to over $10000 after 45 minutes.  Perusing the list, I am between 10th and 15th with over half of the 708 starters out.  At the hour break, Iím down to probably 30th or so, but still at $10,000.

I get moved to another table with a couple of crazies, one person goes up to $17k then down to $2k then back to $9k in the space of 5 minutes.  I call the $300 big blind at one point with pocket Jacks in BB+1 position.  She raises to $1200, and I go all in.  She calls, keeping about $900, and showing her 8-8.  Nothing hits either of us, and I double to over $20,000.  I continue to play well, pushing up to near $30k, and getting a big break when my J-J rivers a Jack against a small stack with 2 aces, and moving to over $36k.  Iím in 10th with 57 people left.  I take out another small stack who raised to $2k pre-flop, after I re-raise to put them all-in.  They have K-Q to my 10ís.  No help for them, and Iím up to $45k.  We hit the last break and Iím in 11th out of 42 remaining with just under $39k.

When we come back, I win with Ace high on a hand where none of the 3 players makes anything.  Then I call with K-8d and stay in with just the BB (which is now $1,000).  They have $13000 left when the flop shows K-7-8.  I bet $3k, they go all-in and I call.  They show K-J, and I live through the river moving up to over $60k.  I am now in 5th place among the 34 remaining players.  Players get tight now trying to make the top 15, and thatís where I hope to steal some money to pad my table lead.

Thatís what I hoped anyway.  I go on a run of being dealt nothing.  I slip down to $48k, but get A-Q and a caller with a Q-J with a Q on the board, and run up to $63k.  I slip back a bit more, then take a big hit on a hand from the BB where I make 2 pair (3ís and 4ís).  I bet it hard TWICE and am called down twice.  The final card gives the board 2-3-4-K-5, and I figure someoneís holding an A, so I fold to a $15k bet, leaving $25k of mine on the table.  Sure enough, the player to my left shows an Ace, knocking someone else out, but luckily not me.  I am hit down to under $25k though, 13th with 25 players left.  The blinds are hitting hard at $2 and $4k, and I lose 2 blinds in a row with crap when I am dealt garbage.  Down to $18k with 22 players left.  Just 7 more to survive, but I need a couple more hands to do it.  This 8-9o and 2-10 just ainít cuttiní it.

I luck out, calling $4k with pocket 2ís.  4 players check around the flop (7-9-10), then the turn (K).  The river brings my 2, and a better of $4k.  I raise all-in, with $10k more.  They fold, I win, moving up to $30k. Then I make a couple of stupid moves.  One is calling a maniac all the way to the river with middle pair.  I just figured that their automatic bet every time signifiedÖ something.  But I lost half my stack on calling my Kings to his Aces.  I get blinded down to under $2500, folding 3-8 and 2-6 in the blinds to pre-flop raises.  I make a stand with A-6, and get my Ace against J-10, moving back to $10k, but still last out of the 18 remaining players.  Blinds are now $3000/$6000, and Iíll be wiped out in 3 hands unless I get something.

Letís see, one more before the blind hits meÖ J-4c.  Nope, I fold.  6-6-4 hits the board and a big bet takes it.  Oh well.  BB nowÖ A-6o.  Yup, thatís for me.  I move my $10,300 all in.  2 callers, the BB, and the other person who called before the flop.  Flop comes Q-Q-A.  Yeah!  BB checks, other player bets $24k.  BB asks if he has a Q.  ďNope, Ace, ď he says.  Lots of lying goes on in the chat, so BB folds, thinking he does have a Q.  But he doesnít, he actually does show an A-3o after BB folds, and I take the pot!  Back to over $31k.  2 more people go out between the final 2 tables, and weíre down to 16.   I just have to get through one more.  I get KK on the button, and simply call.  BB (stack size of $72k) raises to $12k, and I push all-in.  He calls IMMEDIATELY, and I watch as he turns up AA.  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  Nothing hits, and Iím out.

In 15th place?  What?  Yup, apparently, in that brief period, the other table lost ANOTHER player, and I made it!  Woo-hoo!  Sunday Iíll have another chance at the $1,000 AP prize pool, with 1st place taking $275.  Or at least I would if I werenít going out of town.  Iíll figure something out.  I thought for sure I was the last one out of the "money", but nope, I was the last one in.  Terrific luck all tourney.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 01:32:31 PM »

You want me to play that tourney for you?  I'm better than you anyway.  :shock:  :P

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 01:36:24 PM »

You can play the tourney on my brother's computer.
Well.......

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 11:00:32 AM »

Tuesday, August 31st.

Ultimate Bet, 8:45 AM, Points Freeroll:

Hand 2, Iím BB and draw K-8.  A decent starting hand.  Made better when I get 8 callers of 9 to the BB, and see a 7-Q-K rainbow flop.  I bet out 60 into a pot of 90, and get 1 caller, then a raiser to 320.  Hmmm.  Pocket pair?  King with a better kicker?  I decide to call and see.  Other better folds, and the turn is a wondrous K.  I push all-in immediately instead of check-raising, to see what weíve got on the other side.  He thinks heís got something with his A-Qo, as he calls it, but he really doesnít have it at all.  I double on the second hand to take the table lead.

A while later, I get K-Qo in the BB, and simply check with 2 callers.  Flop is J-6-Q, 2 hearts.  I push in 105 (pot size), and am called.  Next card is a 7c, I bet the pot again (315).  I see a re-raise to 1160 (nearly my entire stack size, about half of his).  I go all-in and am called with J-8.  J-8?  Whatever, dude.  I move up to 3200 on that hand.

A bit later a short stack of about 600 pushes all-in, and I draw KK in middle position.  Iím the only caller as he turns up A-J.  A couple of Queens hit, and he misses a spade flush at the river, as I squeak out a win to move up to about $4k.

Right before the first hour mark, I get 2-10o that Iím able to check in the BB.  Flop shows 10-2-J, all diamonds.  I check to see where the other 4 players are.  Check to the button, who bets 330 (pot size).  I call (as does 1 other), figuring him for a possible flush, but weíll see on the turn.  Which is a 7c.  I check, both other players check.  I suspect a single diamond in the betterís hand, and who knows what for the other guy.  River is an Ah, no flush make if he needed another diamond.  I lead out with 350, and get 1 call.  Donít know what he had (probably Ax), as he mucks to my 2 pair.  I hit the 1st hour break at 95th of the 454 remaining players.  Top 100 pay, so I have a shot at the points.

First hand back from the break, I get A-J.  I call a pre-flop re-raise from BB to 525 (pot will be about 1500), and the flop is J-2-Q.  Hmm, not bad for me, but what does BB have?  He goes all in (about 5000), which would put me nearly all-in if I call.  For the life of me I donít know WHY I calledÖ well, yes I do.  The moronís name was DaItalian99, and he was jabbering with his buddy DaRussianKGB (at another table) the whole time in the chat.  They were clearly teenage incompetents, and it just pissed me off that I was being muscled by this schmuck.  Not a sound basis for poker reasoning, but I called, and watched my hand get obliterated by pocket Kings.  That was pretty much it, I finished 363rd out of 1894.

Poker Champs, 10:00 AM, Real Money Freeroll:

First hand, I get J-10o.  I call the $20 BB, and watch the flop show 2-J-10.  Excellent for me, and the BB goes all-in.  Why, Iíll call that.  He shows 8-9, and turns a 7 to make me the first player out of the 104 playing.  Nice.

Jet Set Poker, 10:00 AM, Points Freeroll:

I lose about half of my 1500 starting stack through the first 20 minutes, then decide to make a stand with my J-10o, calling a large raise before the flop in the BB.  Flop comes J-10-9, and thatís good but not great for me.  Still, I go all-in, and get 2 callers.  They both have more than I, so the agony is drawn out a bit.  Even moreso when a Queen hits the board.  I hold my breath for a King as another goes all-in, and I see the 2 hands they haveÖ A-J and A-Q.  The river is a 2, so I triple up to over 2200.

I go all in against a maniac with A-10h against a large pre-flop raise from early position.  I am called, she turns over K-Jo, and a King and a Jack (but no Queen) hit the board to knock me out.  I finish 275th out of 500.

I was never in this one, with raises and re-raises all over the place.  I'm out after 20 minutes when I try to make a stand with some suited crap that doesn't hit.

-------------------------------

It seems half my time in these tournaments is spent trying to figure out when to try and knock the maniacs out.  Usually doesnít work, either.  But itís no fun playing with an ultra-aggressive idiot who thinks that pot odds are the chances that heíll score some weed this weekend.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 12:45:45 PM »

Thursday, Sept. 2nd.

Poker Champs, 8:00 AM, Winner-Take-All $5 Freeroll:

Sure itís winner take all, but there are only 68 entrants.  My odds shoot way up early when I re-raise a pre-flop raise all-in with my K-Qs.  I get called and flop K-Q-3, and my opponent is out early and Iím in the top 5.  Not much happens while I get ground down to near my original stack of $1,500 as I get some low pocket pair that donít hit.

About 8:30, I draw 9-10o in the BB (blinds 25/50).  It gets raised to 150 and we have several callers, including me after much consideration.  Flop shows 10-9-7, 2 clubs.  I am worried about the flush possibility, but the pre-flop raiser goes all-in (about $1,000).  One behind me calls, so I push my $1,500 all-in, and get called.  Rest of the board is 5-Q, no clubs (whew), and I take the pot as both players muck to my 2 pair.  I push up to just over $5k with that, and into the top 10 of the 28 remaining players.  First break comes at 8:40, and Iím 11th out of 25.

I get nothing for 20 minutes, but somehow manage to steal 2 pots and get to 6th place, nearly $7k.  Now, there are just 15 players remaining.  I hit a run of 2-7o, 3-6o, that sort of thing, and fall down to 8th as there are now $25 antes and 200/400 blinds.  I lose a hand with a straight to a flush, and fall to 9th.  A few small stacks fall out, and we come down to the final table of 10, where I am the 2nd shortest stack of $3500  (someone has managed to hang on with $350).  Someone else bombs out with the board showing trip 2ís, trying to out-kick another with a King to the otherís Ace.  It didnít work.  Iím up to 8th through no action of my own.  Blinds go to 300/600, antes of 50 after another break, and the tiny stack is all-in on the BB.  They go out to a pair of 10ís, and Iím still 8th, but dead last as well.  

I push all-in with A-Jo, after we have 3 callers, and collect a nice bit of money to nearly raise myself out of last at $5200.  Iím last by $3k.  I draw pocket Jacks on the BB, and raise all-in when 5 call the BB.  I get 1 caller, and the board goes K-K-10-9-2, 3 spades, but the caller doesnít show, and I triple to over $11k!  Next hand, I draw Q-J, and when the flop shows Q-8-8, I bet and take down a nice pot to move into 4th at $13,600!

Next hand I get pocket Jacks AGAIN, and call an all-in bet of a guy at $6000.  The board gives a Queen and an Ace, but misses his suited K-10, and I move into 2nd place at $22,000.  The big stack takes out a couple more, and we go down to 4 handed.  Weíve got pulce as the big stack at $57k, and ocrush and h8theriver in 3rd and 4th, both around $10k.

I go heads up with pulce to one flop with Q-2, and when the flop shows Q-8-8, he bluffs strength (I hope) with a $4k bet, which I call.  Turn is a 9, which he bets again, and I call again.  Iím rewarded when the river is a Queen.  He bets, I raise all-in, he folds, and I go up to over $35k.  Ocrush goes out when his Aces are out-kicked, and weíre 3 handed.

I win 2 decent hands with just Ace high, calling weak bets all the way to the river, and winning over mucked hands.  I move into first after the 2nd of these, with $41k.  We go up and down for a while, with no one showing anything, and Iím all over the placeÖ 1st, 2nd, 3rdÖ  I get beat pretty bad on a hand where I hit top pair and h8theriver rivers trips.  I get back up by re-raising all-in and inducing a fold with Aces.  

Then we hit a hand where everyone decides their hand is awesome.  Thereís a raise and a re-raise before it even hits me, and Iíve got K-Q of spades.  I re-raise all-in.  h8theriver folds, and pulce calls.  Since heís slightly worse off than me, Iíll win should I hitÖ and boy do I!  Q-8-K rainbow!  The rest of the board isnít much, and he reveals his Q-10d, and I win!

Iím up to $50k, and heads up with h8theriver.  We both have equal stacks, and 1st heads up hand, he goes all-in right away.  I have K-8o, a decent hand, but I fold.  He says he had A-4.  OK, so thatís how itís gonna be, eh?  Next hand, I get A-Ko.  Please do it again, Iím thinking.  He does, and I call.  Board shows 4-2-7-10-4, 3 clubs.  This site waits until after the flop to reveal both handsÖ and he shows his K-10d, and I lose.  Fuck.  2nd place in a winner-takes-all.

Ultimate Bet, 8:15 AM, Bonus Money Freeroll:

I hit a couple of nice hands early and ride up to $2800 from my orig. $1k, including a hand where I re-raised a raiser all-in pre-flop with pocket Jacks.  I watched as he called and turned overÖ pocket Jacks.  Lucky for me the board wound up with 4 hearts, giving my Jack of hearts a flush and winning the hand.  I promptly apologized to the other player, who took it a lot better than most online players do.

10 minutes later and I draw A-Ko and raise the BB from 20 to 110 (pot size).  I get 3 callers, but the flop shows K-6-9, all hearts.  Not great for me.  I throw out a token bet of 100 to see what we get, but just 2 callers now.  Next card is a King of diamonds, normally Iíd be thrilled.  Now, I know if we get another heart, Iím probably screwed.  I bet 200, and get 1 callerÖ the guy with a heart.  Last card is the 2 of hearts, and Hearty bets 500.  I call just on the odd chance of a bluff, and lose over half my stack to pocket 8ís, with one heart.  Crud.

I push my stack back up, but lose on a stupid pre-flop all-in against a maniac who was raising everything at a new table.  I had K-8h, they had K-9c.  Nothing hit anybody, and I was out before the first break.

Poker Champs, 10:00 AM, $10 Real Money Prize Pool Freeroll:

I really donít do much in this thing until I get moved to this table where the chip leader is going all-in every hand.  And I mean I watch 5 hands, and he goes all-in every time.  I get pocket 3ís in the BB, and I call him, and double to nearly $5k when I hit trips.  I get A-Jc in the SB, and double again to $10k with my two pair of Aces and Jacks, and still he hangs around about 9 more hands before being beaten out.  But those 2 wins put me in 4th with 25 people left, so here we go again.

I donít do much, and we hit another break and Iím 7th out of 14.  I continue to hang around $10k, and no one will bust out.  I get about $5k with low pair against this idiot calling station who is telegraphing his hands, and move up to $15k in 3rd place.

I get blinded down a bit, then get A-8s on the button.  2 players raise with small stacks, and I call.  Flop shows K-8-Q, 2 spades.  I push enough to make them go all-in.  2 cards comeÖ no spadesÖ but the river is an 8!  I suck out with trips and move up to $26k and the tourney lead.  And, also those 2 going out knocks us down to the final table of 10.

First hand at the last table, I draw 6-10o in the small blind.  I call, and we have 4 players to see the flop.  Flop is 3-4-6, 2 diamonds.  Hmmm.  First to act, I bet $3500.  I get called twice.  Interesting.  Diamond draw?  Turn is a Queen of spades, and I bet $2000 this time, and get 2 callers again.  Final card is my hammer, a 6!  I check to induce a bet, but neither bet, and I take down another big pot, and pad my stack to $38k, and I have twice as much as anyone at the table!

3 hands later, I draw rockets in middle position!  One person ahead of me pushes all-in with $9500, and I call.  Another short stack of $1600 calls as well, and the flop shows 9-10-K-4-7, 4 diamonds.  I figure Iím screwed, but nope.  $9500 had pocket 6ís!  So I win all his money above $1600.  Other person had K-4, so they move up to $7,500 with 2 pair, but I get to $45k, and nearly 3 times as much as anyone else at the table.  9 left now.

I lose about $12k on one hand where the board is 9-A-9-Q-2, and Iím holding pocket 2ís.  Great hand right?  Not as great as A-9, which brings that player back from the dead.  Shouldíve suspected something was up since we were checking that board around between 3 players.  I couldnít hit all-in fast enough when that last 2 came up and the pot was bet.  Oh well.  I slip to 3rd as the table beats each other up, and weíre down to 6 players now.  Iím still first with $31k, but 3 other players are in the upper 20ís.  Final break, and Iím 1st of 6.

I couldnít catch a card or a flop with a deep space uranium scoop at this point.  I drop to 5th, with no hands, or when I do have a decent pre-flop hand, I donít catch any piece of the flop.  I last past another player, then double up when I make a pair of Kings on the flop and call a bluff all-in on a player with Q-10.  So now Iím back to 2nd with 4 players left.

I do pretty well, and put the last person out when I have K-5 in the BB, and they go all-in after the flop is K-5-6.  They have 5-4, and Iím up to $51k.  The action from that point on was too furious to keep up writing on, but I finish 3rd, and get $2!  The hand I lose on was one where I had J-10 on a board of 10-Q-K, so I had several outs, but lost to A-Q.  Hopefully when this site goes online, theyíll have low-limit tables so I can use this money.  Supposed to be no deposit required.

----------------------------------

That 8 AM Poker Champs loss just stings though.  Really bad.  Especially that last hand.  If he beat me with trip 4ís or something, thatís one thing.  But that just sucks.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 01:53:49 PM »

I get about $5k with low pair against this idiot calling station who is telegraphing his hands, and move up to $15k in 3rd place.

He's a what doing what?  Is that poker slang?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Up