Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls  (Read 53266 times)

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2005, 05:08:18 PM »

8's are just about the hardest hand to play, i think. i like low pocket pairs like 4's and 5's, 'cause if you hit a set on the flop you're golden, and otherwise you just throw 'em away if there's any action. with 8's & 9's you're never quite sure.

Mr Pink

• missing in action
  • City Elder
  • aggressively lazy
    • MySpace
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2005, 07:18:10 PM »

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this, but I've been playing in a "Fantasy Poker League" at a local bar on Monday nights where you accrue points and can win prizes based on where you finish.

I'm currently in 2nd place.

If you'd like to track my progress, they have the leaderboard posted here. They're about a week behind on current point totals, but with my 2nd place finish last week, I should have 2nd place all to myself.

My regular money game starts soon, so I'm off to snag some cash.

Oh, and my favorite hand: Jack/Seven suited
[size=9]Forza Azzurri![/size]

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2005, 08:34:10 PM »

2nd place -- nice.

all those years of playing cards in the back room of your dads olive importing shop paid off

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2005, 08:03:03 AM »

Quote from: "Seattle93"
Oh, and my favorite hand: Jack/Seven suited

That's no J8s or J9s.... but not bad.  I like J9 the best.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2005, 08:06:11 AM »

I like Q8 for some odd reason.
Well.......

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2005, 08:19:15 AM »

We finished 30th in a 168 person tournament trying to reach the paying positions of the top 18 in a $5 multi-table tourney...  

Got blinded down to around 9k, was 25th out of 30... got our ass handed to us going all-in with AKo to someone's AA.  That was it.  What makes that even worse is we'd been waiting for a couple of good hands for a long while, and had doubled up not too long before that with pocket 10's.

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2005, 03:41:51 PM »

butter is too polite to mention that he also smoked me like bacon in two sit & goes yesterday. neither of us really had much mojo in the first one, but butter made a few nifty power plays and got into the money in the 2nd one.

to our great shame, the very worst player won the 2nd one we entered, thanks to me doubling him up and then butter handing him the rest of his chips a few hands later.

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2005, 03:55:22 PM »

Nice work, fellas.  I feel your pain.  I played last week at someone's house, tournament-style, and ended up doubling up the worst player in the room who went on to win.  I want all in with AKo after he'd raised in front of me.  He'd been playing garbage all night (e.g., T3o in early position), so I figured he was raising with a marginal hand at best, maybe suited connectors, or any Ace.  But this time he called me with AA.  Oops.  The fact that he was an insufferable twat didn't help soften the blow any, either.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2005, 04:05:22 PM »

Quote from: "Marlowe"
to our great shame, the very worst player won the 2nd one we entered, thanks to me doubling him up and then butter handing him the rest of his chips a few hands later.

God damn I hate that guy.  I'll remember his stupid ass screen name for a while too.  mjonkobonko.  Fucker.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2005, 04:10:03 PM »

See, this is why I don't like playing online, because there's always some douchebag (or two) at every table who will go all-in on the first hand regardless of the shit in his hand and gets called. It doesn't matter if the douchebag gets lucky on the river or the caller wins, because somebody always starts the game with two (or three) times as many chips as the rest of the people.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2005, 04:14:10 PM »

Quote from: "l.diddy"
Nice work, fellas.  I feel your pain.  I played last week at someone's house, tournament-style, and ended up doubling up the worst player in the room who went on to win.  I want all in with AKo after he'd raised in front of me.  He'd been playing garbage all night (e.g., T3o in early position), so I figured he was raising with a marginal hand at best, maybe suited connectors, or any Ace.  But this time he called me with AA.  Oops.  The fact that he was an insufferable twat didn't help soften the blow any, either.

i was in another tourney just last night and i went out in the late stage against AA's, and finished juuu-uuuu-uuust out of the money. that really sucks to play for so long and then go out with a whimper against a monster like that.

come to think of it, i went out with AA in the late stage of that cincy touney i played in when a chump went all in with 66 and then hit his set, thereby foiling what i thought was a sure victory. so basically, i can't win against AA and i can't with with it.

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2005, 04:17:31 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan"
See, this is why I don't like playing online, because there's always some douchebag (or two) at every table who will go all-in on the first hand regardless of the shit in his hand and gets called. It doesn't matter if the douchebag gets lucky on the river or the caller wins, because somebody always starts the game with two (or three) times as many chips as the rest of the people.

yeah i was telling butter my philosophy just last night, which is that it's good for idiots to win every now and then because if they didn't they wouldn't keep playing. and it's the idiots who provide about 85% of your long-term profits, so you just need to say "serenity now!" and put it behind you.

easier said than done of course

edited to add: i would be remiss if i din't fess up to having had my share of lucky-ass suck-outs of my own in my tournament career. i tend to remember the bad beats but conveniently forget things like  the time i foolishly called an all-in with 33 against QQ, and then the flop gave me quad 3's.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2005, 04:20:13 PM »

Quote from: "Marlowe"

i was in another tourney just last night and i went out in the late stage against AA's, and finished juuu-uuuu-uuust out of the money. that really sucks to play for so long and then go out with a whimper against a monster like that.

Yes, it does suck a whole lot. I played in that tourney for a looong time last night just to get knocked out near the money cut-off.
Well.......

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2005, 10:21:47 PM »

booya!!

i played in a home game in cincy today and won a cool $180 by pistol-whipping  a field of 14.

i got very lucky once when i was short-stacked and river-ratted the dude who had high pair to my middle. but, beyond that it was smooth as mayonnaise and i really felt like i was in top form.

if any of you are interested, they have these games once a month. there's a yahoo group under hold'em cincinnati that will give you the when's and where's.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2005, 05:02:09 PM »

OK, I'm kinda tired of sucking online lately, and a book Marlowe lent me has gotten me back in the mood to play some more poker.

So, we'll start doing this a bit differently, as I have been playing exclusively at Poker Champs, where the biggest "bankroll" is (if you can call it that) that I have built through freerolls... Well, freerolls in the beginning, but after I had made $15 or so, I was able to build the rest of the money through tourneys and cash tables.

Beginning balance: $81.40

I'm trying to work on being more aggressive lately, but know that can bite you in the ass before you get the kinks worked out.

June 28 - Work action
I got restless in the middle of the work day, and entered a $1 Turbo multi-table tournament.  Top 9 places paid, and first prize was $20.25.  I did poorly early on, but flopped a set of 4's around the half-hour mark, and climbed to 14th out of 37 remaining.  Unfortunately, I crapped out on A-J against pocket 10's, and finish 25th - well out of the money.

Then, I decide to play the 5/10 cent limit tables for a bit.  For some reason, the 10/20 cent and 25/50 cent limit tables are always totally empty, but the $1/$2 limit tables are full.  It's either micro-limit or legitimate poker here, I guess.  I'm not comfortable gambling so much of my money yet, so I stick with 5/10 cent limits.  After 10 minutes, I am up $1.15 thanks to a player who refuses to lay down pocket Queens when I have clearly flopped Aces with my A-J.  I lose another 30 cents during the next 10 minutes, then distractions get the best of me, and I log off.

Toward the end of the day, I decide to try my luck on a $2 (+ 20 cent entry fee) sit and go tournament.... the top 3 places pay here, first place being $10, 2nd is $6, and 3rd is $4.  I take the early table lead, thanks to early pocket Kings and Aces... with the Kings, I get a player who called my pre-flop raise of the 20 chip blinds to 90... and then he calls 350 on some sort of draw on 3rd street... but folds to my all-in bet of 900 on 4th street.  Then, I got Aces on the very next hand.  I didn't raise in middle position this time.  But the button raised to 90 and the SB called.  I re-raised to 330.  The button folded, and the SB called... taking him to 600.  Flop is 6-6-2, he checks and I put him all-in.  He folds.

Then I get 5-5 10 minutes later in the SB with about 2500 chips.  A middle position player raises the 25/50 blind to 100.  3 others call.  Flop is 8-4-2.  Couldn't get much better for me, so I push to get the 500 chip pot and go all-in, trying to be aggressive.  Next player calls, and the original raiser and the button fold.  Turns out the caller here was slow-playing pocket Q's, a dangerous play, but it paid off here.  I am knocked down to 1100.  

About 15 minutes later, the blinds are up to 50-100, and I'm at about 1250 - 7th at the table of 8 remaining.  I get pocket 6's in the SB, and plan to just call.  But a late position raiser raises it to 1000, a giant overbet.  I just sensed that he was betting pocket Kings or Aces, because often players on this site can't contain themselves when dealt a premium hand, and nearly cream themselves putting money into the pot.  I think this, but still hit the call button... and he flips over Aces.  I'm out.

Ending balance: $79.09 (-$2.31 for day)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Up