Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls  (Read 46807 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Butter attempts to conquer the poker world via freerolls
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 03:42:38 PM »

I don't have much to add here right now.  Well, a bit.

I've started playing at Poker Champs a lot now that they have live action games and multi-table tourneys with small 2 and 3 dollar buy-ins. I had $9 there to start, and had driven it up to $55 at one time, and now sit around $38.

All this by way of saying that I have been totally fucking VIOLATED today about 5 times by playing a top pair with a marginal kicker too strongly.  You'd think after about the 3rd time I would've figured it out, but nope I proceeded to get knocked out of my 3rd tourney of the day with Jacks, J-9 vs. a J-10 AND lose over $1 in a ring game with Kings, my K-10 against A-K.

Am I really that stupid or what?  

I don't know.  Just thought I'd vent.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:06 PM »

So, I had another experience I felt like sharing today.

I join my 4th tournament of the day, 2 freerolls I was in netted me 6 bits (woo-hoo!), and the $2 tourney I was in I decided to go ahead and lose in 19th place out of 27.  This tourney is at Poker Champs and is another $2, so I'm down to something like $33 at this point.

First hand, I got A-K suited and rivered a flush, beating pocket Kings badly.  I stayed on top of the 25 person field until the final table of 10, at which we all learned a lesson... well, 2 lessons about how to play in tournaments.

Lesson 1: When you're at the final table, and only the top 3 pay (as in this case, 1st is $22.50, 2nd is $13.50, and 3rd is $9), you have to be very tight.  Especially as one of the chip leaders.  Sure you want to knock people out, but it's almost better to let the smaller stacks fight for supremacy while keeping your own chips sparkly and free from the grabby hands of others.

So, keeping this in mind, I win enough hands to stay in the top 3 while 5 others drop out.  We dip down to 5, 2 of whom have only about 1/4 of the 3rd place stack.  So, while attempting to ride out these last 2 people who'll be blinded out in about 15 hands, they start making hands.  Hand after hand I watch as they climb back into it.  Finally, the 4th place person loses with A-K against A-Q when the board pairs Queens.  Tough way to lose, but I'm all for it.  In the process, I have dropped well over half my stack just attempting to make the money.  So now, I'm at around $4500, while the other 2 are well over $15k.

Now that I'm in the money, I shift gears.  But the 2 others decide to lose their minds on a hand with a straight vs. a flush, and all of a sudden I've backed into 2nd place with around $3500.  The bad news of course being, I'm up against a chip stack of over $33k.  I'm a 10:1 chip underdog, and the other player comments "looks like it's just you and me butter".  And I quip "not for long I imagine, lol".  I'm oh so witty.

Which brings us to Lesson 2: When you have a huge chip advantage heads up, you have to pressure the other player.  This is about the 3rd time I've made the final 2 of a tourney where the huge leader (who is usually not me) decides to pretty much just call all the time.  You CAN'T just call all the time.  You have to put the other person all-in pre-flop A LOT, and if they won't call you, steal their blinds until they HAVE TO call.  If you don't, they'll just sit around and make hands on you.  Like I did to this guy.  I slowly worked my way up, and then I figured him out.  He was betting about $1000 with any pair, and the pot size (about $2500) with top pair, and slow-playing monster hands (like the trip Jacks he beat me out of $5k for).  

To beat a telegraphing player like this, you confuse them.  So, about 10 minutes into this, I'm still at around $10k to his $25k.  So I start going all in with any Ace, King, or connectors.  I also start going all in on the flop with any pair or even a good draw.  The downside of this is, if he hits a big hand the same hand as you, you're out.  I figured I had done well enough to get this far, so I was ready to gamble for that extra $9 in prize money.  Lucky for me, this guy was not a gambler.  He folded nearly every time I went all-in.  Eventually, curiosity got the better of him and he called me when I had flopped bottom 2 pair (10's and 2's).  Then he called me when I had A-Q.  Then he called me when I had turned a straight.  And just like that, he was in the same position I was about 20 minutes before.  He tried my strategy a bit, but he only had about 2 chances before I was dealt Q-Q, and he was shown the door.

Playing online poker is so infuriating at times, but it's tourneys like this that'll soften the inevitable frustration of the next week and 15 lost tourneys or so.

My Poker Champs stack is now near an all-time high of $55.

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2004, 04:09:51 PM »

This is all pretty entertaining to read - and maybe you've covered this before, but how is it that you have TIME to do all these tournaments?  Do you work somewhere where you can absolutely get away with murder?  I think at my old job, I probably would have been able to play poker online all day on Fridays had I wanted to.... but still....

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2004, 04:29:08 PM »

Quote from: "redbobsled"
This is all pretty entertaining to read - and maybe you've covered this before, but how is it that you have TIME to do all these tournaments?  Do you work somewhere where you can absolutely get away with murder?  I think at my old job, I probably would have been able to play poker online all day on Fridays had I wanted to.... but still....

Yeah, I have a desk job that on most days only requires me to do about 3-6 hours of work a day.

In fact, I was doing 2 jobs there for a while and had much less time to screw off, and told them I would be just fine doing both jobs, but they insisted that they needed a dedicated receptionist, thus moving me back to simply accounts receivable.  I think my bosses believe that my workload is high.  Who am I to correct them?  Hell, I've already tried that several times.  I think that since the person who was in this job before me was totally inept, and couldn't finish all of their tasks in a given week, they figure that if I'm better, that I still need a whole week to do the weekly tasks.  I don't, I can finish a week's work in about 2 days.  But whatever.

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2004, 04:49:21 PM »

Yeah, my new job is kind of getting slow too.  And our internet use is not monitored so.....

Hmmmmmmmm.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2004, 10:32:38 AM »

Here's another friendly tip....

When you hold pocket 3's, don't call an all-in bet on a board with all overcards and 3 spades.  It's likely you'll be beaten by A-Q.  Just a hint to the guy I doubled up off of about 10 minutes ago to take a large chip lead in another tourney.  I'll let you know how this turns out, I'm 1st by quite a margin, but there's still 20 left.  Top 5 pay.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2004, 11:57:02 AM »

God dammit, I finished 6th, calling an all-in with A-9o.  Raiser had pocket Kings, and there was no Ace for me to be had.  Crappy part is he knocked out another guy on the same hand, so if I had just folded I would've made 5th.  Fuckity fuck fuck.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2004, 12:47:33 PM »

Sorry to hear that, but congratulations on your win yesterday.

These stories are strangely engrossing. Kinda like the poker on TV. Glad to see you're posting them again. They're fun to read.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2004, 03:17:44 PM »

Thanks, Jonathan, I appreciate positive feedback as always.

And I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to hear that despite screwing the pooch on that first tourney of the day and finishing 6th and just out of the money, I proceeded to place in the money in the other 2 tournaments of the day.

3rd in a $3 one and 4th in a $2 one (both had top 5 pay - both were about 35 people tourneys), to bring my grand total right now to $69.90, an all-time Poker Champs high.  Still not enough to consider sitting at a $1/$2 limit table (where I _________ (adverb-choose your own) lost $23 in 10 minutes several weeks ago), but enough to maybe sit at a .25/.50 limit table.

All that said, I also finished 432nd out of 433 in a freeroll earlier, by playing an Ace-Jack for all-in against pocket Queens.  So I'm not exactly a genius or anything.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2004, 02:23:38 PM »

Ok, since we now have a good internet connection, I have started to play in a few tournaments. I suck so far, but Butter watch out! I might get better!
Well.......

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2004, 04:20:40 PM »

Quote from: "Butter"
Still not enough to consider sitting at a $1/$2 limit table (where I _________ (adverb-choose your own) lost $23 in 10 minutes several weeks ago), but enough to maybe sit at a .25/.50 limit table.

All that said, I also finished 432nd out of 433 in a freeroll earlier, by playing an Ace-Jack for all-in against pocket Queens.  So I'm not exactly a genius or anything.

Dude, be careful at the .25/.50 tables.  They're full of people who will play anything, so you'll get rivered by some douche who played 63o a lot of times.  And since there are betting limits, you can't drive these people out.  Nothing infuriates me more than getting beaten by some hack calling station on the river when I had the best hand the whole way and couldn't make them fold.  Of course, there's also money to be made from them, but it can also have the effect of making your online tournament no-limit game and your in-person game a lot worse.  Low-limit poker and no-limit poker are just completely different animals.  

Oh, and since you appreciate feedback, I too enjoy reading these.
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 04:16:34 PM »

Yes, those low-limit games piss me off.  I'd prefer to wait until I can play a bit of a higher limit game, but that's a ways off if I want to have enough to ride out the rough patches.  

OK, so I was in another tourney yesterday, starting out the thing at around $53.  I'd not had much luck this week.  In fact, the day before, I had been beaten out of tournaments by rivered flushes all 3 times, losing my total buy-ins of $7.  You have to stay positive about stuff like that and keep telling yourself that you got all of your chips in the pot with the best hand.... but it's still annoying as a mofo.

In this tourney I ran up my stack fairly well early on, picking up several premium hands in the early going and making the most of them.  This was a $3 buy-in tourney with about 36 people, making the final 5 spots pay pretty well.  So I just sort of sit around the top 4 all the way until the final 6.  I finally start to get worn down, and the last person just won't drop for me to make the money.  So I get a bit impatient, and put some guy who was playing EXTREMELY erratically all-in with pocket 3's.  Not a good idea, as his trip Kings pointed out.  

Now I was the guy everyone was trying to force off of the table, but I still had enough to make some noise.  But I couldn't get anything.  I folded before or just after the flop probably about 20 times in a row.  I got ridden down to about $2,500 (this is out of the $54,000 in chips in play), with the next worst person sitting at $7k.  Finally I got fed up and forced an all-in with A-Qo.  The previous maniac calls me, and flips over A-Jo.  Lucky for me, nothing hit him OR me, and I won.  Still in last, but not quite so badly.

Then someone says to him (this is a chatty table): "Nice call idiot, he must've folded the last 50 hands and you CALL him with that?"  At that point, it's like a light goes off in my head.  I can start playing some shit and throwing my weight around.  So, next hand I'm Dealer-minus-1, and I get 6-8 of hearts.  I call.  The blinds are the only other players to stay in.  Flop is 4-8-Q, 1 heart.  A minimum bet (blinds are $200-400 at this point, so min. bet is $400) folds 1 player, and I call.  Next card is a 7, no heart.  Another min. bet... and I think about it, but call again.  Final card is an 8.  I bet about $1500 and get a call, and turn up my rivered trips to another snarky comment:  "Tight player, eh?  That wasn't tight, you're a moron."

So now I'm on the comeback.  The maniac finally gets knocked out as does another, so I make the money.  Among the final 4 players, we have the chatty loose cannon, 2 tight female players (their usernames are Mary-something and another feminine sounding name I can't recall), and me.  I'm still last.

First hand after we're down to 4, and I call with J-10o.  I just can't help myself with J-10.  I'll play it everywhere.  In position, out of position, with a large stack, with virtually nothing, against 2 limpers, against a moderate raise.  It's not that great a hand, but damned if I haven't won some spectacular hands with it.  The only other player is the BB.  Flop is 8-6-2.  She bets the min., and I call.  I figure her for a 6 or something.  Next card is a 4, no help to anyone.  She bets again, and I decide to call with my 2 overcards for no good reason, really.  Not a good play.  Then the river is a King.  She checks.  Now I've got it, she's got an 8 with some crap kicker like a 3 or something.

I make a play for the pot... the first time I can recall that I have EVER bluffed at a hand with absolutely nothing.  I may make large bets with four-to-the-flush or open ended straight draws or bottom pair with a good kicker or 2 overcards or something.  But I never ever have flat-out stone bluffed at a pot like I did here.  But here it was.  I put in $2488 (that took me down to $4000 if I had lost).  That was about the pot size.  I'd never been so nervous during a poker game as I was in that 30 seconds that her time bank opened up and started to tick away as she considered calling.  Chatty Moron Guy pipes up and says "push those chips in you puzzy".   Yeah thanks ASS.

Lucky for me, she does not call, and I jump into 2nd place with over $10k.  I do a little dance in my chair, and start to catch some hands.  I catch pocket K's and when the flop comes A-10-4, I wasn't thrilled to see a large bet from the low chip stack.  But I called.  The next card was a Q.  She pushes all-in.  I think for a minute and consider that any J or K makes me the pot, and since everyone hates folding pocket Kings I push my chips in.  The river is my straight-making Jack, and Chatty Moron Guy (CMG) bows to my rivering abilities.  

Now we're at 3, and both I and Mary-something are just beating CMG to death.  He drops way down to $3k against me and Mary-something's $20k+.   He finally goes all-in in the big blind.  I decide to call with my Q-10d, and Mary calls too.  The flop is a pretty 10-9-3, 2 diamonds.  I check just for fun, Mary bets $1600 and I call.  Turn is a 7, no diamond, Mary leads out again and I call.  River is a 10 and Mary now checks.  I bet $5k, she folds, and CMG is out.  "Nice game," he grumbles.  

First 2 heads-up hands against Mary, I draw A-K both times.  I go all-in both times.  She hasn't chatted once, but I don't think she liked it because she did the same thing to me the following 2 hands. We both folded to the all-in bets.

Then comes the judgment hand.  It starts out innocuously enough, as I get 7-8o in the SB and call.  She checks and we see 6-8-6 hit the board.  Hmmm.  I bet $1200 and she calls IMMEDIATELY.  Slow-playing a 6 or she's got a 7-9 or 5-7, I think.  Next card is a 4, making that possible straight.  I check, she bets $2k.  I think.... and call.  And I am rewarded with a river 8 bestowing upon me what I like to call the nut house (barring pocket 6's, anyway).  I bet $1200 hoping not to scare her off.  She raises to $5100.  I re-raise all-in, and since I've got her covered, this is it for her if she slow-played her 6.  

I'll never know, because she mucked her losing cards, and I took home $38.88 for my troubles.  Up to $91 (well, $85 after today's unsuccessful tourneys).  What a tourney that was for me.

Action Jim

• Part of the problem
  • City Elder
Who do we appreciate?
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 05:05:43 PM »

Quote from: "Butter"
Flop is 8-6-2.  She bets the min., and I call.  I figure her for a 6 or something.  Next card is a 4, no help to anyone.  

Are you mad!?  Don't you know what was on the board!?  

See, and I'll bet you thought no one was reading these that carefully
size=10]"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms."

"The future's so bright, I -- I can't bear to look."  - This Modern World[/size]

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2004, 08:12:15 AM »

Sure, but the manner in which the hand was bet didn't lead me to believe that she put any thought into it.  It was a mechanical reproduction of the first bet, which led me to believe that she was betting a pair.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2004, 01:22:01 PM »

I got farther than I ever have in an oline poker tourney today. 60th out of 900 in a freeroll. My hubby watched my table while he was at work so he can give you details if you really want.
Well.......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up