Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Current reads!  (Read 31496 times)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Current reads!
« on: May 13, 2004, 03:26:33 PM »

What is everyone reading right now?  I mean besides our 'zine, that is!
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

rva

Current reads!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 03:52:17 PM »

"Uprooting Racism" by Paul Kivel-- 'cause Yosh told me to.
J.L. Mackie-- 'cause Bluelupis told me to.
"World Famous Love Acts" by Brian Leung-- 'cause Entertainment Weekly told me to.
"How We Die" by Sherwin Nuland-- even though I've read it a zillion times

72valiant

• Citizen
Current reads!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 03:53:34 PM »

i picked up bill gates's book on the information highway and some time-life-like books on the vietnam war and the k-19 widowmaker story from half price books.  switching back and forth.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 02:34:43 PM »

I'm reading Science Fiction now....  The Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.  Almost through the 2nd book.  Very hard read if you're not interested in the subject matter.

IPrayForTang

• On my way to a nut flush!
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 02:48:10 PM »

Stardust by Neil Gaiman, Lizard by Banana Yoshimoto and the latest Chunklet.

Juliana

• City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »

"Alias Grace" by Margaret Atwood
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

SenorCardgage

• Tourist
Current reads!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 05:27:47 PM »

"Diary: A Novel" by Chuck Palahniuk.

So twisted, so wrong...so good  :)
See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with. Long as she does it quiet like."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 10:44:01 AM »

Just about finished with Walter Mosley's The Man in My Basement, which is one of the finest, most engrossing pieces of fiction I have read for a long, long time. I don't want to give away any of the plot, but briefly, the story centers around a thirty-something black man named Charles Blakey, who is descended from a line of free blacks reaching back into 17th-century America and who lives alone in the big family house in Sag Harbor. Anniston Bennet is a mysterious white man who approaches Blakey with a strange proposition...to be locked up in Blakey's basement.

The novel, written in adorned prose that allows the ideas to breathe, will hold readers rapt. Apparently Mosley is normally more associated with action and mystery fiction, but this is Mosley's most philosophical novel to date.  He explores guilt, punishment, responsibility and redemption as individual and as social constructs. While it will be difficult for this novel to achieve the kind of audience Mosley's genre fiction does, he certainly demonstrates his superior ability to tackle virtually any prose form, and he is to be applauded for creating a rarity, an engaging novel of ideas.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

LanneyD

• Asleep in the Back
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 11:43:05 AM »

I'm trying to catch up on all the stuff I haven't had time to read in the past few months.  This includes:

Danny Champion of the World - Roald Dahl
The Best of Roald Dahl
Uncle Tungsten - Oliver Sacks

and a few mags I picked a few weeks back:
Under the Radar
Filter
(both are quarterly music mags)
I lived my dream today
and I have lived it yesterday
-The Libertines

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 02:07:53 PM »

I'm currently reading Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups. Not really so much a book as a collection of lists with commentary and short essays, but if you're a baseball fan, it's a enjoyable way to pass some time.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

peedub

Current reads!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 03:05:38 PM »

i just breezed through star trek memories by william shatner...an amusing memoir of the production years of the television series...

then started the forsyte saga by john galsworthy...after seeing the pbs masterpiece theatre adaptation of this victorian soap opera, the book should be alot of fun...and is a surprisingly light read. me and the fiance are going to take turns reading it to each other at bed-time.

thepsychicpoirot

Current reads!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 04:53:27 PM »

I just finished Steven Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers.  I started it a while back and put it down to read Donald Burgetts 4 books on his experiences as a paratrooper in the 506th in WWII (Normandy through Berchtesgaden).  Those are all great reads and highly recommended, if you're into personall accounts of fighting on the front lines during WWII.  I've been stuck in a WWII phase for the last couple of years, as far as reading goes.  

Now that I'm done with those, I just started reading David Crosby's Stand And Be Counted: Making Music, Making History (The Dramatic Story of The Artists and Events that Changed America).

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 08:13:59 PM »

1984 - George Orwell  (It's about time I finally read this.)
White Collar Sweatshop - Jill Andresky Fraser  (Very good non-fiction read about the decline of corporate america's working conditions, increase of hours, and lack of rewards.)

rva

Current reads!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 02:06:57 AM »

Quote from: "LanneyD"
Under the Radar(both are quarterly music mags)

oooooh, the one with Rilo Kiley on the cover?  I like Rilo Kiley.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
Current reads!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

Quote from: "Atzend"
1984 - George Orwell  (It's about time I finally read this.)

Yeah, that's what I thought.  So I read it and discovered that IT SUCKS!!!
Um... lemme know what you think when you finish it.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up