Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Current reads!  (Read 31742 times)

Megs79

• Lunchlady Arms
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2005, 10:04:25 AM »

Quote from: "cuddlyevil"
Has anyone read "the secret life of bees?", it's the next bookclub selection. The one following that is (my suggestion) "shadow divers", with a diverision for a couple girls in the club who haven't read "the lovely bones" yet.

Yes, I have- it was pretty good.

chico

• Tourist
Current reads!
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2005, 12:01:03 PM »

Just finished Naked, by David Sedaris. He's really funny.
ave a tree, wipe with an owl!

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2005, 05:47:47 PM »

At home i'm reading "In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead" by James Lee Burke for the second time. I'm also taking 10-15 minutes out at work for lunch at the moment, in order to read and relax my mind. My work book is "Dynamo - Defending The Honour Of Kiev" by Andy Dougan - Its a book about WWII, fascism, football and resistance. Good stuff.
Am Meer

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2005, 09:40:59 PM »

Quote from: "Rafeyboy"
My work book is "Dynamo - Defending The Honour Of Kiev" by Andy Dougan - Its a book about WWII, fascism, football and resistance. Good stuff.

An awesome book. I re-read it again this summer. A history book that just happens to have soccer at it's core, really.

Any WWII buffs should read this, especially if your focus of interest is the Eastern front.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2005, 04:44:28 PM »

Thanks for the tip Rafe & Jonathan. I'm going to check that out! I loves me some Eastern Front WWII books!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2005, 03:54:28 PM »

It's a cracker! Let me know if you can't trace a copy through your usually brilliant library system over there. I've got another one that Jonathan has more than likely also read, i'm sure. It's called "Ajax - The Dutch, The War" by Simon Kuper, and it's a damned good read.
Am Meer

Juliana

• City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »

I finished Two Trains Running by Andrew Vachhs last night (I was on page 13 when I started yesterday morning).

It was a GREAT read.  VERY fast paced.  Lots of interesting characters, but not so many that they were hard to follow.  It was told from several points of view, which made it all the more interesting.

It's about the mob in this tiny town in 1959, and these two outside Mafia forces that try to come in, plus corrupt police, reporters, small time rival gang activity within the town, the Black Power movement.  

http://twotrainsrunning.com/ is the official "dedicated" site.

Seriously, if you like crime novels, or mafia/mob novels, or suspense novels, or...hell, everybody go read this.  It was very interesting, and very well done.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2005, 04:49:15 PM »

I'll point Steve in that book's direction J, he loves those kinds of books.

Finished up "the secret life of bees" by sue monk kidd, it was excellent--it's a fast paced read and a short book to boot, so if you don't have a lot of time but want something solid, I'd recommend it.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2005, 11:07:21 AM »

Just started Poker The Real Deal by Phil Gordon this morning. I've found it very interesting and helpful. A great 1st poker book for people to read.
Well.......

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Current reads!
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2005, 12:33:40 PM »

Quote from: "clemsonfan"
Just started Poker The Real Deal by Phil Gordon this morning. I've found it very interesting and helpful. A great 1st poker book for people to read.

Yeah...but I want to know how your poker novel is coming along!

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2005, 03:21:22 PM »

It's not going very well. I've definitely got writer's block!
Well.......

AllanM

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2005, 02:34:21 PM »

I just finished LA Confidential by James Ellroy.  It was the only Ellroy novel I hadn't read, and I kept putting it off because I'd already seen the movie.  The book = nothing like the movie.  Excellent crime novel.

Now I'm reading a biography of Magellan's voyage, Over the Edge of the World by Lawrence Bergreen.  Very meticulous stuff, but written in an engaging manner.

Juliana

• City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »

Just read Stuffed by Brian M. Wiprud.  It was really funny.  It's a mystery novel, and the main character is a guy who lives in NYC and rents out taxidermy for a living.  If you like silly mysteries, it's a good read.  Don't worry when you see the Russian guy whose speech is all typed out phonetically.  He doesn't have a big role (thank Robert Smith for that).

Currently reading Metropolis by Elizabeth Gaffney.  It starts slow, but it starts to suck you in after a bit.
-Ed Helms

Juliana

• City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2005, 03:10:30 PM »

Quote from: "AllanM"
I just finished LA Confidential by James Ellroy.  It was the only Ellroy novel I hadn't read, and I kept putting it off because I'd already seen the movie.  The book = nothing like the movie.  Excellent crime novel.

See, I thought the book was horrible.  WAY too much stuff going on.
The movie is like the book, just pared down to managable storylines.
-Ed Helms

AllanM

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2005, 02:13:27 PM »

Quote from: "Juliana

See, I thought the book was horrible.  WAY too much stuff going on.
The movie is like the book, just pared down to managable storylines.

I think I have a weird fascination with huge bloated books with multiple dangling plots.  Which is why I enjoyed Rushdie's Satanic Verses.  I read Chris Claremont's never-ending soap opera X-Men comics in the 80s, so that might have something to do with that.  

But don't get me wrong -- the movie was awesome, and definitely the best mainstream film of the year.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up