Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Current reads!  (Read 31495 times)

alliecat55

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 12:59:39 PM »

Quote from: "skipalupagus"
My pet goat.

oohhh, i have six pet goats...but anyway, right now I'm reading Deadly Feasts, nonfiction about pathogens invading our bodies... fun!
 can't wait...

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2004, 02:08:32 PM »

Quote from: "ßeta"
A bunch of stuff on post-Soviet labor unions in Russia.   :x  Not recommended unless you are masochistic or are a political science student.

You mean there's a difference? 8)

(And before anyone gets upset, yes, I do have a poli sci degree. And proud of it.)
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Fitz

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2004, 03:37:38 PM »

Rabbit Reduex by John Updike

and An Introduction to Metaphysics (again) b Heidegger.

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »

Quote from: "Juliana"
I'm only about 25 pages in so far.  It's not bad though.  I read "The Hippopotamus" a couple of years ago, and thought it was weird, but funny.

"Revenge" is supposed to be "A distinct departure from his popular comic novels" though.  It's supposed to be his modern day take on  "The Count of Monte Cristo"

I liked Revenge. which I appreciated more since I've loved the Count from when I was a kid. Maybe not 'great', but it's a good summer read, if nothing else.

yoshomon

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2004, 09:07:08 PM »

I just read Ishmael, and I'm gonna be finishing a history of the FAI called We, the Anarchists! soon.

Then it's on to Transgendered Warriors and finishing Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together In The Cafeteria?.

Good reads.

yoshomon

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 06:58:03 PM »

Transgender Warriors stinks.  Don't pick it up.  I was really looking forward to it... but the author is a Stalinist.  The whole book is a propaganda tool for the World Workers Party - the creepiest bunch of Stalinists around.  It's so disappointing.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2004, 04:51:04 PM »

Quote from: "thelunarbee"
Quote from: "Atzend"
1984 - George Orwell  (It's about time I finally read this.)

Yeah, that's what I thought.  So I read it and discovered that IT SUCKS!!!
Um... lemme know what you think when you finish it.

Finally, finished it today.  I really liked it.  It was well thought out and I enjoyed the characters.  I now aim to be like Mr. O'Brien one day...oh, yes!  :twisted:  After reading about negative utopias I need to switch gears and go with something a little more light.  Some of the stuff in the book had me thinking paranoid thoughts of Big Brother becoming a reality.  After I calm down a bit I'm going to read Animal Farm and find some more of his books.  I really enjoyed his writing style and the connections and analytical thought put into 1984.

Currently:  Another Roadside Attraction-Tom Robbins

Juliana

• City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

I finished "Revenge" last night.
I liked it a lot up until the last quarter of the book or so.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Current reads!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2004, 10:23:59 AM »

Working on "Last Light" by Andy McNab--good spy/special ops type book.

Fitz

• Summer Resident
Current reads!
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2004, 03:11:05 PM »

another roadside attraction is fun

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2004, 08:31:50 AM »

Recently finished Candy Freak by Steve Almond, which was a very enjoyable read. Personally, I've never really been much of a candy eater, even as a child. Mr. Almond would like to point out that there is something intrinsically wrong with me and that I should be avoided. Heh. Here are a few facts about Mr.Almond:

1. Steve has eaten a piece of candy every single day of his entire life.

2. He thinks about candy at least once an hour.

3. He has between three and seven pounds of candy in his house at all times.

In Candy Freak Almond laments the disappearance of his most beloved confection, the Caravelle bar. It's vanishing led him to ask the question, "How is it that a candy bar, an absolutely sensational candy bar, can be banished to oblivion?"

He charts the demise of the small, independent candy makers who have fallen victim to the big candy makers (Hershey, Mars) and goes on a quest to visit some of the last remaining factories.

The book is more than just a document of Steve's lustful search for a single bar of chocolate, crisped rice, and caramel, however. It's part memoir, part history lesson, and it also reminds us how sweets have the power to make children of us all....even those of us who didn't consume massive amounts of candy as children.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Juliana

• City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2004, 08:38:46 AM »

I'm starting the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency today.  It shall be my "at work" book.

I did start A Time To Kill back up a few weeks ago, so that shall become my "at home" book.  I forgot how good this book was too.  I don't care what anybody says, John Grisham can write a good little book.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2004, 09:55:50 AM »

I've moved on to a new book...Ball Four by Jim Bouton. It wasn't the first book written by a baseball player to show an accurate portrayal of what goes on in the locker room and on the fields of Major League Baseball - Jim Brosnan's The Long Season was the first - but it became the most famous, and most controversial.

Interesting tidbit - when the New York Public Library came up with its list of the 100 books of the past century, Ball Four was the only sports book to make the cut.

And yes, I'm in my baseball phase right now. I'll probably read Brosnan's book next.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2004, 11:03:46 AM »

I'm plowing my way through Join Me by Danny Wallace, thanks to recommendations from Foolsgold and CR. It's cracking me up! For more info Join Me....
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Current reads!
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2004, 11:36:26 AM »

Looks interesting. Thanks for the mention.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up